Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless in Kilkenny

Options
  • 17-12-2011 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

Are there many homeless people in Kilkenny? Probably a stupid question, as I know there are many in almost every city in Ireland. But I haven't seen any in Kilkenny. Only reason I ask is because I have some nice warm jackets that I don't wear anymore and that I'd like to drop off to someone who needs them especially this time of year and how cold it gets. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Now that you mention it I've never seen any and I used to work doors so I would of expected to see some. There's a charity shop a bit down passed The Pumphouse if thats any good to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭behan29

why not drop the jackets into the good shepard, i know that they will be put to good use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Theres a young couple always walking up Comer Road they are definitely homeless. They seem to spend their day walking aroung the city. The Good Shepard city would a good place to give it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Are there many homeless people in Kilkenny? Probably a stupid question, as I know there are many in almost every city in Ireland. But I haven't seen any in Kilkenny. Only reason I ask is because I have some nice warm jackets that I don't wear anymore and that I'd like to drop off to someone who needs them especially this time of year and how cold it gets. Thanks.

there are people squatting definitely, and numerous hidden homeless around. but yes the good shepherd will gladly take them off your hands

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

femur61 wrote: »
    Theres a young couple always walking up Comer Road they are definitely homeless. They seem to spend their day walking aroung the city. The Good Shepard city would a good place to give it to.

Yes,I see them a lot walking around the town.Surely they have some place to crash.Would be sad to think of a couple so young having to sleep rough.

I think there is an old guy with a beard sleeping rough down the river side of the castle walls. Haven't seen him much lately when I have been walking down there but he is usually visible around that area.Not sure how he would take you approaching him though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Cheers folks, will drop them into the Good Shepherd in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Dave_Kilkenny

Have to say I was out drinking about a year ago and however bad this may sound with the mention of "the nall" in it, I met a genuinely nice homeless guy who got down on his luck due to the economy as opposed to any alcohol or drug problems.

We met him down there one evening after we were having a few drinks sat down with him got chatting offered him a can and he refused, he doesn't drink. Anyway he told us his story about how his business in Galway went bust banks took the home he went to stay with friends in Calan, they didn't live in Calan any more. He got work lived in Calan for a while lost his job then went to the the town for work and then became homeless.
    He was a very well educated man and seemed very up to date on politics at the time. Interesting guy to talk to I think his name was John, there was an article about him staying out in the snow last winter by the Kilkenny People. He slept by the canal and he told us some business man he wet gave him this big thermal waterproof sleeping bag. Anyone remember reading the article about homelessness in Kilkenny last winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Hi guys. Does anyone know if the Good Shepherd take donations of clothes?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Have to say I was out drinking about a year ago and however bad this may sound with the mention of "the nall" in it, I met a genuinely nice homeless guy who got down on his luck due to the economy as opposed to any alcohol or drug problems.

We met him down there one evening after we were having a few drinks sat down with him got chatting offered him a can and he refused, he doesn't drink. Anyway he told us his story about how his business in Galway went bust banks took the home he went to stay with friends in Calan, they didn't live in Calan any more. He got work lived in Calan for a while lost his job then went to the the town for work and then became homeless.
    He was a very well educated man and seemed very up to date on politics at the time. Interesting guy to talk to I think his name was John, there was an article about him staying out in the snow last winter by the Kilkenny People. He slept by the canal and he told us some business man he wet gave him this big thermal waterproof sleeping bag. Anyone remember reading the article about homelessness in Kilkenny last winter?
    Did he have a Jesus beard by any chance?

ergonomics wrote: »
    Hi guys. Does anyone know if the Good Shepherd take donations of clothes?

definitely they do....

• Advertisement

Great. I have a big bag to drop in. I was living in Glasgow before and when I was coming home I wanted to drop my bedding and old clothes to a homeless shelter as it was just before Christmas. I rang two or three shelters and none of them accepted clothes donations and requested money instead so I'm never sure now!

ergonomics wrote: »
    Great. I have a big bag to drop in. I was living in Glasgow before and when I was coming home I wanted to drop my bedding and old clothes to a homeless shelter as it was just before Christmas. I rang two or three shelters and none of them accepted clothes donations and requested money instead so I'm never sure now!

if ya have any problems let me know by pm. I work out of the 2 hostels a lot the Carlow one also.

Will do, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

I feel bad for that homeless guy in town, especially at Christmas. He probably doesn't even know what its like to have a full tummy on Christmas Day. Well tomorrow I'm going to change that, I'm gonna go down there and tell him.

Advertisement