Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing Xbox online???

Options
  • 17-12-2011 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Currently looking for Christmas gifts and my other half who plays his xbox 360 alot but never games online....Think he might like to play online so was wondering if anyone out there could advise me on what I would need to buy him for Christmas which would enable him to do so?:)Help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Gooners. wrote: »
    Currently looking for Christmas gifts and my other half who plays his xbox 360 alot but never games online....Think he might like to play online so was wondering if anyone out there could advise me on what I would need to buy him for Christmas which would enable him to do so?:)Help greatly appreciated!
    Are you sure thats what he wants?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You need a gold subscription. About €40 for the year I think.
    If it's not currently connected to the internet, for updates and what not, then you may need to connect it to your router with a cable or over wireless.

The newer slim models have a wifi antenna while for the older white ones you need to buy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

1st question is do you have real broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Gooners.

Yeah he has mates all over the country and he can link up with them to play...he mentioned it a few times but never got round to getting it. We have UPC broadband, is that real broadband???:) To describe the xbox 360, its a white one that sits quite tall and slim (kind looks like its on its side....you may have gathered at this stage that im not a gamer:-)Do you think this one is wireless enabled or would it need a lead?

He loves his Xbox, just bought him skyrim and Asassins Creed, think if we could get online I might give it a go too:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

As someone said before, he'll need Gold Membership. You can pick up subscriptions in 1,3, and 12 month packages, from stores like Game, HMV, etc. Its better value to go for the 12 month, which goes for around 50 quid in stores.
    If you get it in a shop, look for something like this, Otherwise you could ask a member of staff for help.

As well as that, the Xbox you have isn't wireless enabled. If your Xbox is in the same room as your UPC box, then you can just hook it up with a cable. Otherwise you'll need one of these Xbox Wireless Adaptors. I'm not sure how much they go for nowadays, but when I was working in Game a second hand one cost about €40, and a new one was around €70.

You could probably find both cheaper online. But I couldnt tell you where. Maybe someone else can.

Hope this helps. :)
    Laurinaki wrote: »
    I play PS3, never really played Xbox

Well arent you just a big barrel of helpful.

@DjFlin Thanks a million that (and the pic's)was a great help! Think I'll pick up one in HMV tomorrow. I assume if I bought it in the UK it'll still work in Dublin OK?

@DjFlin Thanks a million that (and the pic's)was a great help! Think I'll pick up one in HMV tomorrow. I assume if I bought it in the UK it'll still work in Dublin OK?

Yeah. They should work fine.

Power up the xbox (or watch when he does it) and see it if it signs into LIVE. You should see all sorts of adds for games and stuff. If so it's already online, you just need to buy the subscription.

It may look like this if it's up to date:
    url16.jpg

@5uspect It doesn't seem to be on LIVE. No adds and the screen doesn't look like that. Think I might need to get the cable for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

@5uspect It doesn't seem to be on LIVE. No adds and the screen doesn't look like that. Think I might need to get the cable for it?
    If the xbox is close to the UPC box then get an ethernet cable. One of these comes with the xbox but it's usually too short.

If it's really far away you can get a wireless adapter.

It's right beside it...will have to buy one, don't know where the cable is that came with the box. Thanks.:)

It's right beside it...will have to buy one, don't know where the cable is that came with the box. Thanks.:)

Be careful, if the screen does not resemble the one I posted the Xbox will try to download a hefty update and your significant other may have something to say about that.

I'm not gonna touch it to be honest! I'm going to buy him the gear and he can set it up himself:)

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

5uspect wrote: »
    Be careful, if the screen does not resemble the one I posted the Xbox will try to download a hefty update and your significant other may have something to say about that.
    Unless he has a modded console what problem would he have?

Whats a modded console??

Whats a modded console??

One that has been hacked or tampered with, usually to play pirated games, or do stuff you normally cant.

Every year there is an update available for the xbox, the one in the photo posted earlier is this years one. Its just a standard upgrade, but may take a little while to complete. Once its done, the xbox will look like a totally different machine (for the better). No need to worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Updating and connecting to the internet also now offers more than games, theres facebook, and twitter , youtube , daily motion and muzu tv and more to come, all of which are nicec to be able to access from the tv in the living room....... and I think you have to be gold member to get some of them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Brave woman getting your lad xbox live!

No but seriously its great Im sure any gamer would love it especially if he has friends also connected

lol:-)....Im starting to get flash backs of last Christmas now..and im getting worried...he spent 2 full days infront of the Xbox. I got him Red Dead Redemption and he loved every minute of it. This year its Skyrim....:eek: I don't think he has ever updated his xbox so should be good fun this Christmas getting it all linked up to the internet in the living room. Thanks guys for all your help, really appreciate it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

lol:-)....Im starting to get flash backs of last Christmas now..and im getting worried...he spent 2 full days infront of the Xbox. I got him Red Dead Redemption and he loved every minute of it. This year its Skyrim....:eek: I don't think he has ever updated his xbox so should be good fun this Christmas getting it all linked up to the internet in the living room. Thanks guys for all your help, really appreciate it!

only 2 days ?
    Prepare for the worst :D

Advertisement