Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle for Senior Citizens?

Options
  • 17-12-2011 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting my 67 year old mother a Kindle for Christmas.

Her eyesight isn't what it used to be and she struggles to get large print books she actually wants to read.

She can handle facebook, email and mobile phones, so I presume a Kindle won't be a technology challenge.

Has anyone got any experiences to share of older people using them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I got one for my Dad for Christmas. He is also 67.
    I got the idea from my Uncle, who is over 70 (and loves his kindle).

The good thing about the kindle is you can make the text small (maybe 25-30 lines per page) or huge (5-10 lines per page) with about 8 sizes in between.

Your mum will love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I got my mother one last year for the same reason - she loves reading, but now that she has to wear reading glasses, she was reading less as she had to find her glasses, or reading in bed wasn't comfortable.

With the kindle she can adjust the type to whatever size she wants, and doesn't have to wear glasses when reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Thanks.

Well I went out and got one.

Had to open it up to test it and configure it. Now I want to keep it for myself :D Nice simple piece of very practical technology. I downloaded a book and after a few minutes of being very aware of it being a Kindle, it wasn't long before I had simply settled down to reading and forgotten the technology. That's the way it should be!

Advertisement