Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New kayanos causing runners knee, help needed.

Options
  • 17-12-2011 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hey all,

Getting more and more into running this last year. Run between 6 and 10 miles weekly.

My first trainers were a pair of neutral New Balance which i put about 250 miles on, with no pains or aches associated. I decided it was time to treat myself to a new pair of runners. I had gait analysis done in a high street sports store, they informed me that i was over pronating slightly.

A few months later i decided to invest, I couldn't believe my luck when I found a pair of Asics Kayano 17's for E100, I snapped them up, believing they are exactly what i needed due to my pronating feet.

After putting about 15 miles on them, my left knee started playing up. It was aching around the knee cap especially when going down stairs. I put a further 40-50 miles on them. Pain was developing in my knee after each run, my legs where also feeling overly tired. Runner's knee i believe its called. I was in denial that my lovely shiny new kayano's could be doing this to me. I bought a knee strap and was considering going to physio.

I decided to go for a short 2 mile run in my old New Balance's, to see the result. I am amazed that no pain developed afterwards. I am pleased and disappointed all at once.

I've decided to buy another pair of trainers, I am at a loss as to which ones. I am dubious as to the accuracy of analysis done in sports stores, they're trying to sell you stuff at the end of the day. Where do you recommend to go to get impartial gait analysis done, to help decide on which trainers to get? Or which trainer, or any other helpful advice appreciated lads thanks...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

lukich79 wrote: »
    Hey all,

Getting more and more into running this last year. Run between 6 and 10 miles weekly.

My first trainers were a pair of neutral New Balance which i put about 250 miles on, with no pains or aches associated. I decided it was time to treat myself to a new pair of runners. I had gait analysis done in a high street sports store, they informed me that i was over pronating slightly.

A few months later i decided to invest, I couldn't believe my luck when I found a pair of Kayano 17's for E100, I snapped them up, believing they are exactly what i needed due to my pronating feet.

After putting about 15 miles on them, my left knee started playing up. It was aching around the knee cap especially when going down stairs. I put a further 40-50 miles on them. Pain was developing in my knee after each run, my legs where also feeling overly tired. Runner's knee i believe its called. I was in denial that my lovely shiny new kayano's could be doing this to me. I bought a knee strap and was considering going to physio.

I decided to go for a short 2 mile run in my old New Balance's, to see the result. I am amazed that no pain developed afterwards. I am pleased and disappointed all at once.

I've decided to buy another pair of trainers, I am at a loss as to which ones. I am dubious as to the accuracy of analysis done in sports stores, they're trying to sell you stuff at the end of the day. Where do you recommend to go to get impartial gait analysis done, to help decide on which trainers to get? Or which trainer, or any other helpful advice appreciated lads thanks...

Kayanos are not for a 'slightly pronating' gait, they are for severely pronating one and they are obviously doing you damage.

If you are not going to do more than 10 miles a week you are probably fine to stick with your neautral New Balance. If you start upping the mileage you might need a bit of support, something like the nike lunarglides maybe, but really if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    This chart might give you an idea of similar shoes to what you run in from different brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lukich79

thanks menoscemo,
    My New Balances are getting worn out.
    Actually forgot to mention that i plan on upping my mileage, currently running 10k's, hope to run some half marathons this year, culminating in me running the dublin city marathon.

thanks menoscemo,
    My New Balances are getting worn out.
    Actually forgot to mention that i plan on upping my mileage, currently running 10k's, hope to run some half marathons this year, culminating in me running the dublin city marathon.

In that case, I'd reccommend the lunarglides. I am a mainly neutral runner myself but can pronate a bit when tired (doing longer distances).
    BTW you can normally expect to get at least 500 miles from a pair of runners (assuming you are not overweight).

Lunarglides ok,
    I will look more closely at them thanks. I am normal weight so i guess there is a few miles left in my new balences
    these are the nearest things on the market to my current new balances

Based on that table you posted earlier i decided to look at the shoes for moderate pronators. I've narrowed it down to these new balance, mizuno,and these asics.

Thats assuming those dont do the same damage as the kayano's. would like to know before investing.

Lunarglides ok,
    I will look more closely at them thanks. I am normal weight so i guess there is a few miles left in my new balences
    these are the nearest things on the market to my current new balances

Based on that table you posted earlier i decided to look at the shoes for moderate pronators. I've narrowed it down to these new balance, mizuno,and these asics.

Thats assuming those dont do the same damage as the kayano's. would like to know before investing.

*edit

after studying the above shoes, i reckon your right. The lunarglides are for mild to moderate overpronators, whereas the others could potentially overcompensate, similar to the kayanos.

I read somewhere that running on a leaning surface say from right to left for example, can cause runners knee, i'm guessing that the kayano's simulated this situation, i would be concerned that the above shoes are for moderate to severe over-pronators and could therefore cause similar problems.

I am swaying toward the lunarglides now, i will wait until January to purchase my next runners.
    I will keep ye informed of my findings.

Any other suggestions in the mean time are as always appreciated.

• Advertisement

Yeah, the lunar glides are great. They allow a neutral runner to run without support, but the 'dynamic support' system gives you some support if and when you need it.

By the way lukich, this site is great for checking the specification of all the shoes. I think it pretty much lists all shoes on the market.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The latest lunarglides are much more supportive than previous models. Nike have ruined what was a great, lightweight trainer IMO.

Have a look at brooks adrenaline and saucony progrid guide. The 2160 from Asics sounds like just what you need though, it's for a moderate over pronator really. They've added more support to that shoe over the years too though...

The latest lunarglides are much more supportive than previous models. Nike have ruined what was a great, lightweight trainer IMO.
    You're right actually. I can't wear the 3's at all as they hurt my arches. The 2's are/were a lovely shoe.

got me a pair of lunargide +3's today for 70 nicker. went for a run, they felt great, really bouncy.

will report back after a period to confirm no pains or aches.

• Advertisement

Lunarglides +3 get a +1 from me.

Done 20 miles in em so far with no aches or pains.
    very happy with the purchase.

proves you should know what your needs are before purchasing.
    I made a mistake and thought the dearest were the best, It all depends on your individual needs.

The links kindly provided by menoscemo above will be most useful to any people looking to find the right shoe for them.

Lunarglides +3 get a +1 from me.

Done 20 miles in em so far with no aches or pains.
    very happy with the purchase.

proves you should know what your needs are before purchasing.
    I made a mistake and thought the dearest were the best, It all depends on your individual needs.

The links kindly provided by menoscemo above will be most useful to any people looking to find the right shoe for them.

Thanks Man, glad it's working out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

Sorry for bringing up an old thread. I have similar problems when I switched from my Asics Virage to Kayano......again on advice of gait analysis. I started to get pain after clocking about 12 miles on them, blamed my knees, rested 2 weeks and this morning went for a run again. After about 400mts I had to stop as the knee pains were kicking in, went in home put on my old Virage and went back outto run 5km.

Therefore I am certain the Kayano were not the right shoe for me. I would love to know how you are now getting on with the LunarGlides. I am also looking at the Nike Pegasus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

tommy - everyone is different so don't assume that you have the same problem as the original poster. If you're getting gait analysis done then I highly recommend the video route if you can. A good analyst will be able to show you exactly how much you are moving in the shoe. I use Amphibian King and I avoid Elverys but there are probably other shops that others can recommend.

I havent looked back since getting my lunarglides tommy, I increased my distances clocking 300-400 miles on them.

The links provided by menoscemo above really helped me.

I figured that I am a mild to moderate overpronator, i learned this by checking the wear marks on my old runners. check out this diagram:
    pronation

my sole was worn more toward the centerline of my foot in the zone designated overpronation, i gather the more toward the edge of your shoe the wear is in this zone the more you are overpronating. If that makes sense.

I found this way of determining your level of pronation way better than going into a shop where they want to sell you a particular type of shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

Many thanks, I reckon from my shoe wear patterns and footprints I am a mild over pronator, maybe thats why the Kayano were killing my knees, overcompensating when not needed. I am also going to look at the Nike Pegasus.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

tommyh1977 wrote: »
    Sorry for bringing up an old thread. I have similar problems when I switched from my Asics Virage to Kayano......again on advice of gait analysis. I started to get pain after clocking about 12 miles on them, blamed my knees, rested 2 weeks and this morning went for a run again. After about 400mts I had to stop as the knee pains were kicking in, went in home put on my old Virage and went back outto run 5km.

Therefore I am certain the Kayano were not the right shoe for me. I would love to know how you are now getting on with the LunarGlides. I am also looking at the Nike Pegasus.

Pegasus are quite similar to lunarglides. Lunarglides area great shoe, I'd recommend them to almost anyone.

Out of interest where did you get the gait analysis done where you were recommended kayanos?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

tommyh1977 wrote: »
    Many thanks, I reckon from my shoe wear patterns and footprints I am a mild over pronator, maybe thats why the Kayano were killing my knees, overcompensating when not needed. I am also going to look at the Nike Pegasus.

I'm fairly certain that kayanos are for severe over pronators so they probably were too much. I had bad knees for several months after mistakenly running in shoes for mild over pronators when I'm a supinator. it's well worth getting a gait analysis from a reputable running shop as others have suggested

Advertisement