Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The €100 household tax

Options
  • 17-12-2011 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

How many of you are going to pay the €100 household tax..:mad::(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Is it optional?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

If one is able to pay I think one should.
    Some of the 'hard cases' being quoted shouldn't have to pay.

We shouldn't forget that the last government left the country in such a sorry state that the present government has to introduce this.

Pity that the present government are blotting their copybooks in other ways
    e.g. liberal payments to advisors etc.

But that apart, in order to sort this out for...
    not our children I fear... but our grandchildren (at the rate we are going)
    it is something we must do (if we are in a position to do so).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Inhousejoke

Well, personally I'm exempt (council house), but hopefully lots of people decide not to pay it. It's an unfair tax for loads of reasons, among which:

1/ It doesn't matter how much you earn, or how much your house is worth, rich and poor alike will pay the same amount

2/ When some people say "ah, it's only €2 a week", €100 is only the start amount, once people have registered you can expect it to keep rising every year (with full property and water taxes in 2014), which is why the amount is low at the start, to get you to register in the first place. (Not that €100 is insignificant!)

3/ It will definetely not go to pay towards local services. Local services and councils are funded by the exchequer, i.e. our taxes, so we pay for all of our services already. This extra tax will just go to pay off bondholders (or they will go to the local council, so our taxes can be diverted to paying bondholders). That's why it's being called a "double-tax".

If we all boycott it, there's no way they they can bring us all to court, and the cost of the legal process will make the tax too expensive to collect (similar thing happened with the water tax back in 1992 in Dublin, something like 10,000 people refused to pay, and the tax was scrapped!)

Btw, there is a local Campaign against the Household and Water Taxes (CAHWT) group in Greystones, our email is nohouseholdtaxgreystones@gmail.com , or PM me if you want to get involved. We held public meetings a while back in Greystones and Newtown (hopefully if you're in Charlesland you got a leaflet through your door about it), and we'll be getting very active in the coming weeks.

There's also the website: www.nohouseholdtax.org
    And the facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NoHouseholdTax

We shouldn't forget that the last government left the country in such a sorry state that the present government has to introduce this.

Tbh, Labour and Fine Gael couldn't really claim to not know what state the country is in at the time of the elections. There are always political alternatives that can be taken, there is very rarely a case where the governemt "has no choice". For example, having a look at the oil & gas off the west coast, higher taxes on those that can afford to pay more, and (dare I say it :D) even a slight increase in corporation tax which would yield millions, and still leave us in the same ranking of corporation tax in Europe.
    Pity that the present government are blotting their copybooks in other ways
    e.g. liberal payments to advisors etc.
    I know, it's mad! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

are you sure of that ?. wait till you see the state this country will be left in after FG get through with us all. FF and FG are the same. there is no difference. I'll include labour in that as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

As a person who has paid 180 Irish pounds per year for a good number of years in the past for water, sewerage and bin collection I think the household charge of 100 euro is fair and I will pay it. I also think residents of social housing should pay it too. If everyone pays then maybe the annual cost won't escalate as quick as if only some pay.

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    As a person who has paid 180 Irish pounds per year for a good number of years in the past for water, sewerage and bin collection I think the household charge of 100 euro is fair and I will pay it. I also think residents of social housing should pay it too. If everyone pays then maybe the annual cost won't escalate as quick as if only some pay.

no one should have to pay, it's extortion. if you payed for your home and payed stamp duty as well which you would have then it is fully paid for so this is simply so-called legal extortion.

As a person who has paid 180 Irish pounds per year for a good number of years in the past for water, sewerage and bin collection

If you still are, this household tax will be on top of that :( Though I've got a feeling you're talking about the local rates sysytem, bit before my time :D
    I think the household charge of 100 euro is fair and I will pay it. I also think residents of social housing should pay it too.

Well, yeah I'm all for people being treated equally, but personally I think that people with lots of money should pay more, or if they can pay (because they can afford it) and people less well off can not pay it, that'd be great. But in the end, this isn't going towards any services, which we all pay for already (through our taxes).
    If everyone pays then maybe the annual cost won't escalate as quick as if only some pay.

It will go up regardless of the amount of people who don't pay or not, it's purely about making money, tbh I doubt the governent have worked out that all the costs of local services around adds up to exactly €100 per person. :D The only way it wont go up, is if enough people boycott it, so the tax will be scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

If you scrap taxes then there will be no more services, no more social housing, no more public health, no more hospitals etc. etc. I am not going to argue with you. Have your campaign, you are entitled to that.

I didn't say scrap all taxes, just this one, because we pay for all of our services alredy with the rest of our taxes. Fair enough though, don't want to get into an arguement so we'll leave it at that.

(I hope you don't think I'm a free-market libertarian who wants to get rid of all taxes, I'd die from the shame :D )

• Advertisement

If you scrap taxes then there will be no more services, no more social housing, no more public health, no more hospitals etc. etc. I am not going to argue with you. Have your campaign, you are entitled to that.

no one is talking about scrapping all taxes. only this extortion tax, thats all.

also we pay taxes for roads,rubbish -bin charges and all other taxes from our wages, this tax here though should be fought hard and stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

It'll be 150 next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭radiat

bido wrote: »
    How many of you are going to pay the €100 household tax..:mad::(

Great to see a bit of freedom of speech allowed on this forum.

In the taxation forum a poll was set up to see who was going the pay the tax. The mod locked it because not paying tax is illegal. I posted an objection on the ground of free speech and got a 14 day ban:eek:

Goes against what forums like these are about i would have thought.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I am don't object to paying an extra €100 a year tax.
    What I object to is the way this tax is implemented, assessed/calculated and who it does and does not apply to.

I would rather pay an extra €200 per year in the knowledge that someone earning far more than me paid far more and those that earned less paid proportionally less.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

This is hardly a Greystones specific issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement