Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audio Technica ATH-M50's

• 17-12-2011 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭

I'm getting a pair of these for Christmas. I'll mostly be using them plugged into the pc from a Creative X-Fi soundcard. Would they benefit from an amp? Do they have a burn-in period?

Any link to info about them would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I doubt they would benefit from an amp. Nothing has a burn in period except your brain - IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

Yes these headphones will need a burn in of 15-25 hours. They sound great straight out the box, but mature after a few days use and really sound impeccable.

These headphones do not necessarily need a Headphone amplifier. They are quite load as it is, it may come down to what device you use them with. Certainly your computer should be powerful enough, some portable devices may not do them justice. Wait til you get them, then decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Shineyie

An amp helps with more than just making music louder. I'm getting a pair of these myself and plan on using them with my FiiO e5 and ipod. I've no idea what your sound card is like though; if it puts out a little more juice than your average ipod you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference. They definitely don't need an amp to sound good. If you know someone with a portable amp, it might be an idea to borrow it for a bit and see what you think with and without the amp.

Edit: about burning them in, I'd recommend around 20 hours, either music or something like white/pink noise. I've read some very mixed reports about what these sound like straight out of the box, it couldn't hurt either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I'm extremely pleased with these.

Advertisement