Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Australia but worried!!!

Options
  • 18-12-2011 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

hey everyone
    Im a qualified Farrier here in Ireland and with the lack of work I have decided to move to Australia. Now I was in touch with EVERY FARRIER organisation in australia with no response. I emailed all 237 farrier with one reply and it was to ask another farrier. I asked him and no reply. So now Im thinking about getting work else were. I heard there is good money in the mines but its also extremely hard to get work. So I was wondering is difficult to get a job. I have a IMFA diploma, I have a extremely good leaving cert, I also was a barman in my teens and have a HACCAP cert too. I like to be organised and have every thing sorted.

I also am worried that I might not have enough money too. I have sold my Van and my horse to fund my trip. I priced a Visa a 280ish wit Visafirst and eithad Airways have a flight for 870. By the end of feb I should have 2800. I hope its enough, but Im not going to go mad on the beer until I get settled into a good paying job.

I know its alot of questions but I found the site and there seems to be good people helping each others out :)

Thank you for your help
    Colm :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

colm1988 wrote: »
    hey everyone
    Im a qualified Farrier here in Ireland and with the lack of work I have decided to move to Australia. Now I was in touch with EVERY FARRIER organisation in australia with no response. I emailed all 237 farrier with one reply and it was to ask another farrier. I asked him and no reply. So now Im thinking about getting work else were. I heard there is good money in the mines but its also extremely hard to get work. So I was wondering is difficult to get a job. I have a IMFA diploma, I have a extremely good leaving cert, I also was a barman in my teens and have a HACCAP cert too. I like to be organised and have every thing sorted.

I also am worried that I might not have enough money too. I have sold my Van and my horse to fund my trip. I priced a Visa a 280ish wit Visafirst and eithad Airways have a flight for 870. By the end of feb I should have 2800. I hope its enough, but Im not going to go mad on the beer until I get settled into a good paying job.

I know its alot of questions but I found the site and there seems to be good people helping each others out :)

Thank you for your help
    Colm :)
    Not much demand for farriers in the mines as horses were replaced a long time ago. It can be hard to get into the mines without the relevant tickets or experience and being on a whv will make it even harder. Your best bet would be to do an rsa course and look for bar work. Is that 2800 euros or dollars? Either way its not alot of money to set yourself up here but if you're lucky enough to get work straight away then you may be ok. Its best to allow at least a month to get sorted with a job here. maybe try ringing a few farriers instead of emailing them so you can actually talk to a person and get a feel for the demand for farriers in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

If you are into the horses, you should consider going to work in an area called Scone. It's 3hrs inland from Sydney. It's pretty much the Curragh of Australia. Coolmore, Darley and many other stud farms are based there. I'm sure you would pick up some work there, be it as a farrier or doing general farmhand work on the stud farms. Consider emailing Coolmore here in Ireland and they may have some info for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭coolbeans

...and don't email, make a phone call. It's quicker and less frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 colm1988

aido79 wrote: »
    Not much demand for farriers in the mines as horses were replaced a long time ago. It can be hard to get into the mines without the relevant tickets or experience and being on a whv will make it even harder. Your best bet would be to do an rsa course and look for bar work. Is that 2800 euros or dollars? Either way its not alot of money to set yourself up here but if you're lucky enough to get work straight away then you may be ok. Its best to allow at least a month to get sorted with a job here. maybe try ringing a few farriers instead of emailing them so you can actually talk to a person and get a feel for the demand for farriers in Australia.

How much do I need then????

• Registered Users Posts: 18 colm1988

coolbeans wrote: »
    ...and don't email, make a phone call. It's quicker and less frustrating.

Yes cheers, maybe talking instead of random emails would of saved me time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

colm1988 wrote: »
    How much do I need then????

Very expensive country,you would need at least 3,000 euro...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 lou044

Hey, if you really want to come to Aus on that budget you can do it- book a cheap one way flight- if you fly ryanair to london standstead then airasia to Perth via KL you can get a flight for 400 euro. Then organise free accomodation through Help Exchange or WWOOF (google them) and search for a paying job while you are living rent-free and have free meals. If you WWOOF and Help Exchange you will meet locals fast and they can sometimes help you find a job.

Australia is expensive but I think you have more than enough money to move here is you are smart about it. Also you can organise a bank account for free before you leave, a Tax File Number is also free and you should spply for the Working Holiday Visa directly from the Australian Gov website- it'[s cheaper and easier than through visafirst and takes 20 mins online application.

Advertisement