Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mario Balotelli Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

After reportedly pulling up at a petrol station in Manchester last weekend and treating everyone on the forecourt to a full tank of car juice, it seems that Mario Balotelli has been sharing the wealth once again – moseying into the The John Rylands University Library (JRUL) at the University of Manchester yesterday afternoon and offering to pay off any overdue book fines for the students therein.

Such a charitable old soul. I mean, what’s not to love? It’s exactly the kind of thing I’d be doing if I was earning £200,000-a-week and working for three hours a day.

Anyway, JRUL themselves have Tweeted that the rumours of Balotelli paying off the student’s fees are untrue, though there is a suspicion that they may just be referring to the fact that their staff are said to have refused Mario’s generous offer and that all library debts remain in place. They haven’t actually refuted the fact that he stopped by on his travels.

To slightly mis-quote Marvin Gaye, it’s probably wise to “believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear” when it comes to Balotelli, though it has to be said – the more reports you read of his benevolence and childlike curiosty, the more difficult it becomes to dislike the chap.

As opposed to most cut-and-paste, media-trained-to-the-eyeballs footballers, Balotelli is in possession of a shred of and idiosyncratic humour and intrigue and, as such, the footballing press have latched on to him like limpets. He’s the gift that keeps on giving. Literally, it appears!

He’s not ‘mad’ and nothing he does comes close to qualifying as ‘madness’, but you can see how he seems completely frog-conkers loopy compared to the rest of his insipid cohorts.

Long may he reign.

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/man_city/106386/stop-me-if-youve-heard-this-one-before-mario-balotelli-walks-into-a-university-library.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

420265_3113030260415_1104172997_33186941_305716677_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

He was caught on camera doing magic tricks in one of the private boxes at the game the other night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

zerks wrote: »
    He was caught on camera doing magic tricks in one of the private boxes at the game the other night.

He wouldn't want to quit the day job anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

He's the gift that keeps on giving

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Not sure if i'm sick of him or sick of people going on about him. Will do some soul searching and report back when i find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Amazing what passes for news these days.

Totally understandable that he'd want to remain as anonymous as possible. Also totally understandable that the security has this no-hoody rule in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Sorry lads:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17311138

He didn't buy the petrol for everyone at the station
    He didn't give the tramp £1000
    He didn't drive around dressed as Santa

However he DID come back with all that crap after being sent out to buy the ironing board!

:pac:

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Sorry lads:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17311138

He didn't buy the petrol for everyone at the station
    He didn't give the tramp £1000
    He didn't drive around dressed as Santa

However he DID come back with all that crap after being sent out to buy the ironing board!

His antics are like unicorns, even though they dont exist we still believe!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Very honest with his answers.
    Noel Gallagher: So, Mario, I gotta say, it's an honour for me to meet you.

Mario Balotelli: Honour for me.

NG: As a Manchester City supporter, I've supported Manchester City for 40 years, 40 YEARS can you believe that? That's a long time. What I wanna know is when you first got the call about coming to Manchester City, had you heard anything about the club at all?

MB: No, nothing.

NG: Nothing at all?

MB: No.

NG: Apart from we play in blue and we were rubbish apparently.

MB: No I didn't know nothing.

NG: Had you heard anything about the city of Manchester … apart from Man United?

MB: I came three years ago, I played in the game with United so I came here.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/mar/10/noel-gallagher-manchester-city-mario-balotelli

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

I can understand why the below was cut from the TV broadcast, painful interviewing technique on display
    NG: I'll ask you about that, where do you hail from, originally? Where your …

MB: I born in … oh originally?

NG: Yeah.

MB: Or where was I born?

NG: Where were you born?

MB: In Palermo, Sicily.

NG: And where are your ancestors from?

MB: Who?

NG: Your parents …

MB: My natural parents oh, from Ghana.

NG: From Ghana? OK. And have you ever been to … have you been back there?

MB: Never been to Africa in my life.

NG: No?

MB: Never.

NG: I've only been to Egypt, it's very hot. Now listen, I am … I used to be in Oasis and now I've gone solo coz my brother was a bit crazy like you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Im proud to have started the first thread about him in this forum :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55010996

What an absolute legend this guy is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Reekwind wrote: »
    I can understand why the below was cut from the TV broadcast, painful interviewing technique on display

Only the last line was cut from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

No, I watched the interview on BBC this morning. There was no mention of Africa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Reekwind wrote: »
    No, I watched the interview on BBC this morning. There was no mention of Africa

It is shown in the link above (3:10 onwards)...maybe they cut it out of what was shown on tv though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

the video if anyones interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

418129_10150627132812426_726547425_9486936_422860668_n.jpg

• Advertisement

420506_187750358003811_167851523327028_274376_1569826340_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

Don't mind me, I'm just randomly walking through a press conference,

http://blogs.thescore.com/footyblog/2012/03/27/24898/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

colly_06 wrote: »

Who is that to Stramaccioni's right? Looks the image of Silvio Berlusconi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

colly_06 wrote: »

it was just on SSN, quite bizarre. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I really hope he doesnt leave in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

What a legend.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Stramaccioni looks a fair bit like Jamie from Shameless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

EDIT: Posted already. Appearing at the Inter Milan press conference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/9172487/Manchester-Citys-Mario-Balotelli-screamed-at-by-Roberto-Mancini.html

its just one incident after another with him isn't it? people can call him a legend all they want but it's **** like this that could have a detrimental effect on citys title challenge (or already has)

the lad is a bad apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/9172487/Manchester-Citys-Mario-Balotelli-screamed-at-by-Roberto-Mancini.html

its just one incident after another with him isn't it? people can call him a legend all they want but it's **** like this that could have a detrimental effect on citys title challenge (or already has)

the lad is a bad apple.
    Coach yells at player in training. How is this newsworthy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I like him. But I didn't like that he did there at the Inter press conference. Real attention seeking. Nice thing he did, but undone it by doing it like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1490627_breaking-mario-balotelli-unhurt-after-car-crash-at-deansgate-locks-manchester

lol, I know it wasn't his fault but this is getting slightly ridiculous at this stage. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Beast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

SUPER MARIO AVOIDS BEING KARTED OFF TO HOSPITAL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Hmmm very quiet in here now.

The man is a pr!ck of the highest order. He's basically just cost his team the title as a result of his own stupidity. Maybe I'm biased as a United fan, but how anyone can love an idiot like this is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

I love that hes at City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I was done with him when he tried to stamp on another player's head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Hmmm very quiet in here now.

The man is a pr!ck of the highest order. He's basically just cost his team the title as a result of his own stupidity. Maybe I'm biased as a United fan, but how anyone can love an idiot like this is beyond me.

Explain how

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Hmm, the public may begin to turn on him now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Sky's treatment of him was disgraceful today.

Explain how

Dont mind him he obviously takes everything gary neville says as gospel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Thank you Mario, I appreciate you.

the problem is a big % of the country are numbskulls who take the view of whatever the backpages tell them.

Explain how

He's been a total distraction from the word go! Last week prime example when he threw a hissy fit about taking a free kick and had to be dragged away. What's that meant to do for team morale? Every single press conferance with Macini questions are asked about him. How many times this season have we seen petulance from him like the stamp today?

Contrast that with Man.Uniteds performance vs Blackburn. The team played for each other, that's why they will win the league. City may have the better players, but team spirit wins a league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Rooney used to be like Balotelli at his age
    but he was just showing his passion

• Advertisement

He's been a total distraction from the word go! Last week prime example when he threw a hissy fit about taking a free kick and had to be dragged away. What's that meant to do for team morale? Every single press conferance with Macini questions are asked about him. How many times this season have we seen petulance from him like the stamp today?

Contrast that with Man.Uniteds performance vs Blackburn. The team played for each other, that's why they will win the league. City may have the better players, but team spirit wins a league.

If it wasnt for him they would have lost last week.

So you reckon its just him? you dont think tevez should take any blame? mancini for some frankly weird subs. City were rocking before the last 2 matches in which, granted, Mario should have acted a little better.

Im a Utd fan so not complaining but this should not turn into some sort of scapegoat situation. Who of City's attacking players played well today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Why wouldn't they. He tried to break a man's leg today. A coward's tackle. Sometimes the obvious is correct. If i were a City fan i'd be desperate to see him sold in the summer.

This has to be taking the p!ss? What exactly were they meant to say?

Oh hard luck Mario harsh red card, you only stamped on a players knee, went in twice high and finally did it by sliding in late. You also contributed nothing to Citys attack, and were generally a pain in the arse. But still, well played son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

This has to be taking the p!ss? What exactly were they meant to say?

Oh hard luck Mario harsh red card, you only stamped on a players knee, went in twice high and finally did it by sliding in late. You also contributed nothing to Citys attack, and were generally a pain in the arse. But still, well played son.

I don't think anybody is saying that Sky should've praised the lad today at all!!

I believe it to be like the scenario of a bridge overloaded with cars. The bridge collapses at a certain point, now, it would be unfair to blame the driver of the last car onto the bridge as he did not collapse the bridge alone
    it was a group effort if ya get me.

The same applies to Balo, he is responsible in part for some of City's disastrous end of season but he certainly isn't alone:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement