Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mario Balotelli Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

MD1990 wrote: »
    Rooney used to be like Balotelli at his age
    but he was just showing his passion

Exactly. When Balotelli stamped on Parker it was national news. When Rooney stamped on that lad from Aalborg's chest it was swept under the carpet. When Rooney shouts at a team mate its passion. When Balotelli does it, he is causing trouble. When Rooney sleeps with Jenny Thompson he is a poor role model, When Mario does it, he is a distraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Exactly. When Balotelli stamped on Parker it was national news. When Rooney stamped on that lad from Aalborg's chest it was swept under the carpet. When Rooney shouts at a team mate its passion. When Balotelli does it, he is causing trouble. When Rooney sleeps with Jenny Thompson he is a poor role model, When Mario does it, he is a distraction.

Rooney got fúcking lambasted for riding your one.:confused:
    I didn't even know Balotelli rode her as well until I saw it on here somewhere.

Rooney's a bit dim, but he's twice as smart as Balotelli.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I have this theory that if balotelli was not a footballer, he could almost be a serial killer. He shows absolutely zero emotion no matter what happens, and seems to have no moral compass whatsoever.

There is no doubt in the world that he has the talent but his mentality is that of a 5 year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

what about Giggs he is still a model profesional
    i seen a game on sky a few months ago
    & some away fans were booing Giggs
    the commenter then says "Why are they booing Ryan Giggs" lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Oh give over, Rooneys taken his fair share of abuse aswell and he isn't nearly as retarded. And anyway just cause Rooney has done it that makes what Balotelli did okay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Oh give over, Rooneys taken his fair share of abuse aswell and he isn't nearly as retarded. And anyway just cause Rooney has done it that makes what Balotelli did okay?

Id respond to you if it were not for the bit in bold

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Id respond to you if it were not for the bit in bold

Yep poorly phrased I'll admit, I'm on my phone apoligies.

My point still stands though, two wrongs dont make a right. Why should Balotelli be excused just because Rooney was an idiot aswell?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

The ring master at the comedy club. Love him... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

cournioni wrote: »
    The ring master at the comedy club. Love him... :)

Good lord, if the team comfortably in second spot is the comedy club then what about the other 18 below them (and that's just in the top flight!) :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Balotellis a good lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

The difference between Rooney and Balotelli is that Rooney's team mates were always behind him because they knew he was always giving it 100%. Balotelli would want to get a grip or he could fast end up becoming the next Ibrahimovic, world class talent, but when the big occasion comes arises, he bottles it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

baz2009 wrote: »

Rooney's a bit dim, but he's twice as smart as Balotelli.

Ah now, it depends how you want to measure intelligence. Balotelli definitely does stupider things, but he can also speak two languages fluently and in interviews comes across as quite well-spoken.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Balotelli on the way out at City
    Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini has revealed that he is ready to sell star striker Mario Balotelli in the summer.

The City striker again found himself in the spotlight for the wrong reasons after his red card at the Emirates Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Balotelli escaped a red card after 10 minutes for a knee-high tackle on Bacary Sagna, but was dismissed in stoppage time after receiving a second booking by referee Martin Atkinson for another lunge on the same player, and could now face a lengthy ban.

But Mancini looks to have had enough of the troubled player and admitted after the game that he would not play for the club again this season.

Asked for how long he could put up with Balotelli's antics, Mancini said: "I am finished. We have six games and he will not play in the next six games."

Pushed further on whether he would try to sell Balotelli at the end of the season, Mancini replied: "Probably - but I don't know. It depends, because Balotelli is a fantastic player.

"I can continue to play with Mario on the pitch. Every time, we risk one sent off, like today.

"But he can score also in the last minute."

Balotelli has been no stranger to controversy since joining the club in 2010.

And Mancini said of the first-half tackle on Sagna: "From the bench I didn't see the first tackle but it was a bad tackle."

When asked if the authorities should take a look retrospectively, he said: "I hope (so)," and admitted the striker deserved a lengthy ban.

"I defend him always because Mario is a good guy, but if he doesn't change in the future he can lose all his talent.

"If he doesn't understand this, after two years I can't do anything. I hope for him that he can improve, that he can understand that he can't continue like this, for his future, for his talent. I'm very sorry for him for this."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

:pac:

What a joke, why is Mancini painting himself into a corner yet again. It would be funny if it was Mancini who was forced out with Balotelli staying at City.

That article is incorrect, as per this post -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78018145&postcount=380

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

MD1990 wrote: »
    Rooney used to be like Balotelli at his age
    but he was just showing his passion

LOL

Passion, Ballotelli doesn't know the meaning of the word. He cares nothing about the team he's playing for and it's obvious.

While Rooney has made some stupid tackles he's cut it out and improved his record amazingly. When's his last yellow card?

Rooney also has gotten some severe bans for who he is, something that up until the outcome of his most recent red, Mario has not suffered.

Also using a 21 year old Rooney as a yard stick to justify someones actions show what a weak position it is to begin with.

Ballotelli to be banned for 4 games at least please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 327 ✭✭LimGal

Probably just give him a six month holiday in Italy and then welcome him back with open arms when things are going tits up next season.Mancini is a joke the way he handles his players,making himself a laughing stock in front of his peers and the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

lordgoat wrote: »

While Rooney has made some stupid tackles he's cut it out and improved his record amazingly. When's his last yellow card?

Should have gotten one today for a silly hacking tackle that reminded me of Rooney of old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Good lord, if the team comfortably in second spot is the comedy club then what about the other 18 below them (and that's just in the top flight!) :eek:

I wish Liverpool were as funny as Man City this season!!

And before anyone responds, context!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Ibrahimovic, world class talent, but when the big occasion comes arises, he bottles it.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

lordgoat wrote: »
    LOL

Passion, Ballotelli doesn't know the meaning of the word. He cares nothing about the team he's playing for and it's obvious.

Rooney also has gotten some severe bans for who he is, something that up until the outcome of his most recent red, Mario has not suffered.

Also using a 21 year old Rooney as a yard stick to justify someones actions show what a weak position it is to begin with.

Ballotelli to be banned for 4 games at least please.

How so? Ballotelli is only 21 now, so maybe in 5 years time when he's Rooneys current age he'll have matured like Rooney has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Xavi6 wrote: »

City should be comfortably first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Hmm, the public may begin to turn on him now.

most decent football fans turned on him 6 months ago when they seen what he was like. like the whole tevez thing, today is no surprise.

i hope he stays at city, as he is a liability. as ive said in this thread before, people calling him a legend is just sickening and a travesty to all the great players that have played for City and in football.

the likes of Silva, hart and kompany,all great pros must be sick to their stomach at that he is in their team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

most decent football fans turned on him 6 months ago when they seen what he was like. like the whole tevez thing, today is no surprise.

Seriously, WTF do ya mean by that??
    Personally I think he's as mad as a brush and as a City fan I know only too well he's a liability at times to the team as was apparently seen today.
    I haven't watched the match today but I'd be the first to condemn any sort of tackle that was a potential leg breaker.

That said, I'm still entitled to have a laugh and think he can be funny at times without being adjudged to be a non-decent football fan:eek:

Jesus Christ, if this is the case half of the Man United fans could be called non-decent fans following some of the lads ye have had play for ye in the past and presently!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

who woulda thunk it.:eek:
    thought RTÉ highlights would have given more attention to it, but this was imo Mancini's most insane throw of the dice, bringing Balotelli on after the season he has had.
    then for him to play part in the one-two that led to the goal.
    unreal.
    probably best that both he and Barton didn't get to share the pitch though.
    had this not come off right I really can't imagine how things would stand now for Mancini.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

he in the Italian squad for euros.
    http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/news/newsid=1630404.html

hopefully causes some disruptions within the camp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

who woulda thunk it.:eek:
    thought RTÉ highlights would have given more attention to it, but this was imo Mancini's most insane throw of the dice, bringing Balotelli on after the season he has had.
    then for him to play part in the one-two that led to the goal.
    unreal.
    probably best that both he and Barton didn't get to share the pitch though.
    had this not come off right I really can't imagine how things would stand now for Mancini.

Amen to that. Even though he didn't score, I think we saw the best of Mario in that last 20 minutes. Loads of bustle, confidence, and the nous to cause people problems. Never, ever gave up when a lot of the City players looked to be flagging.

We've been down this road before, so I'm loath to say he's turned a corner and will suddenly start delivering on his massive potential. But you genuinely never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Yeah he played well. Could be a massive twenty minutes and a turning point in his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Made a great impact. City need height up top and I'd have Balo every day of the week before Dzeko. if he can cop on he'll play a big role next season imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Made a great impact. City need height up top and I'd have Balo every day of the week before Dzeko. if he can cop on he'll play a big role next season imo

thats a big 'if'.

• Advertisement

thats a big 'if'.

Unfortunately yes. Has such potential. I think for City's sake he'd be better off being left out of the Euro's can only see him grabbing more headlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

He could very well break Irish hearts

Can't see him being near Italian team apparently manager is very no-nonsense type

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Can't see him being near Italian team apparently manager is very no-nonsense type

I'll eat my hat if he isn't in the first team.

You know he's in the squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

You know he's in the squad?

Provisional squad. He might not make the final cut at all.

That little touch out to Aguero while falling over absolves him of anything from the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I don't think he'll ever cop on he genuinely has mental issues. The club he is with will just have to take the bad with the good if they want him. Today I thought he probably made the difference. He has real pace for a tall lanky looking lad, he kept using his pace to get his body between QPR men and the ball, won back possession and held possession well. He also had a good shot across the face of goal which Kenny parried away, and obviously the one-two at the end. Today we saw the good side of Balotelli and I think he deserves a lot of credit for the stint he put in in that 20 minutes even though Aguero will get all the plaudits!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

jive wrote: »
    He has real pace for a tall lanky looking lad

Where's the logic in thinking tall people shouldn't be fast? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Keep listening to the media. Mario is something special and he showed it again today. Absolutely love the guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Where's the logic in thinking tall people shouldn't be fast? :confused:
    Never understood that myself! There are very few small lads competing in Olympic sprinting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

with Mario, he quite literally does have some sort of screw loose.

all you need to have is someone who can manage him to the best you can, and i don't think anyone can do that better than Mancini. Balotelli has spoken of his admiration for the man quite publicly.

for Mancini to be able to throw him on, for him to actually look like he cared, play well, and then play a key part in the winning goal - it says something about his ability, and something of the respect Mario has for his manager.

he could have easily done sweet FA when he came on, or tried the impossible to prove a point. but he didn't.

you need a different kind of man-management for Mario, that's just the way it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

SlickRic wrote: »

all you need to have is someone who can manage him to the best you can, and i don't think anyone can do that better than Mancini. Balotelli has spoken of his admiration for the man quite publicly.

for Mancini to be able to throw him on, for him to actually look like he cared, play well, and then play a key part in the winning goal - it says something about his ability, and something of the respect Mario has for his manager.

he could have easily done sweet FA when he came on, or tried the impossible to prove a point. but he didn't.

you need a different kind of man-management for Mario, that's just the way it is.
    Hmmmm, wouldn't be a great fan of that post. Started badly with 'literally does have some sort of screw loose' and kind of fell apart after that.

You make it sound as if Mancini has sorted him out. Four red cards this season would suggest otherwise.

Also, I don't think there's a player in the world who wouldn't give their all coming on as a sub in a game of such importance. I could have been managing Man City yesterday and Balotelli would have still gave his all. Think you're giving Mancini a bit too much credit for that one.

Pighead wrote: »
    Hmmmm, wouldn't be a great fan of that post. Started badly with 'literally does have some sort of screw loose' and kind of fell apart after that.

You make it sound as if Mancini has sorted him out. Four red cards this season would suggest otherwise.

Also, I don't think there's a player in the world who wouldn't give their all coming on as a sub in a game of such importance. I could have been managing Man City yesterday and Balotelli would have still gave his all. Think you're giving Mancini a bit too much credit for that one.

2 RC this season. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

He changed the game for City imo. Fair play to him.

Provisional squad. He might not make the final cut at all.

There is no way he won't be in the squad. Especially with Rossi out, Mario will be the main striker.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    He changed the game for City imo. Fair play to him.

Spot on. He won the game for us imo. He plays his absolute best when he is under that sort of pressure. Sunderland game he was responsible for the comeback as well.

SlickRic wrote: »

It's the smaller things in his mentally that can have the biggest of differences though, yesterday on the biggest stage of them all, after weeks of mario being in the media for poor decision making, when that ball came to his feet at the edge of the box he could of very easily tried to shoot or round his man to prove a point to the world. But he didn't, he chose the pass that set up the winner.

What a lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i'm not saying he sorted him out.

but he did come up trumps yesterday.

Mancini actually played him for too long this season before he got banned, so he hasn't got it totally right. Balotelli had been off the rails for a few weeks before that Arsenal game, and should've been dropped, but he did trust him in the end, even just for 20 minutes, and it worked. you have to take calculated risks in these games sometimes, and he did. and it worked.

he could have put Adam Johnson on the bench, but knew Balotelli would be a better option for something if it was all going wrong, and he was right.

Mancini is in no way infallible in the whole Balotelli saga, but i do think he gets more out of him than many would have the patience to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

2 RC this season. :rolleyes:
    No need for the nasty and horrible roll eyes you little pup. Pighead made a mistake and holds his hand up. Should have said four red cards under Mancini and it should probably be five given he stamped on Scott Parker and got a ban for it.

Anyway glad we've cleared this mess up but just to be absolutely clear, if you ever roll your eyes at Pighead again he'll call around to your house and smash you over the head with your keyboard.

Advertisement