Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mario Balotelli Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Pighead wrote: »
    No need for the nasty and horrible roll eyes you little pup. Pighead made a mistake and holds his hand up. Should have said four red cards under Mancini and it should probably be five given he stamped on Scott Parker and got a ban for it.

Anyway glad we've cleared this mess up but just to be absolutely clear, if you ever roll your eyes at Pighead again he'll call around to your house and smash you over the head with your keyboard.

:rolleyes:

Couldn't help it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

SlickRic wrote: »
    i'm not saying he sorted him out.

but he did come up trumps yesterday.

Mancini actually played him for too long this season before he got banned, so he hasn't got it totally right. Balotelli had been off the rails for a few weeks before that Arsenal game, and should've been dropped, but he did trust him in the end, even just for 20 minutes, and it worked. you have to take calculated risks in these games sometimes, and he did. and it worked.

he could have put Adam Johnson on the bench, but knew Balotelli would be a better option for something if it was all going wrong, and he was right.

Mancini is in no way infallible in the whole Balotelli saga, but i do think he gets more out of him than many would have the patience to.
    Again I think you're overstating the decision to take Balotelli off the bench. Mancini's hand was forced. His side were losing and they needed goals. Of course he's going to take his 20+ million striker off the bench. It's not that he necessarily trusted him, it's that he had no other option. He had to go for it.

I don't think it was a case of Johnson or Balotelli either. He went with two defenders, two midfielders and two strikers. If anything I'd say Milner got the nod ahead of Johnson.

You say Mancini kept his patience with Balotelli but his comments after the Arsenal match would suggest otherwise.

"I've finished my words for him. I've finished. He is not a bad guy and a fantastic player but I'm very sorry for him as he continues to lose his talent and his quality. I don't have any words for his behaviour. I hope for him he can understand he is in a bad way for his future and I really hope that he can change his behaviour in the future. But I'm finished."

Again I think you're overstating the decision to take Balotelli off the bench. Mancini's hand was forced. His side were losing and they needed goals. Of course he's going to take his 20+ million striker off the bench. It's not that he necessarily trusted him, it's that he had no other option. He had to go for it.

I don't think it was a case of Johnson or Balotelli either. He went with two defenders, two midfielders and two strikers. If anything I'd say Milner got the nod ahead of Johnson.

You say Mancini kept his patience with Balotelli but his comments after the Arsenal match would suggest otherwise.

"I've finished my words for him. I've finished. He is not a bad guy and a fantastic player but I'm very sorry for him as he continues to lose his talent and his quality. I don't have any words for his behaviour. I hope for him he can understand he is in a bad way for his future and I really hope that he can change his behaviour in the future. But I'm finished."

I don't see what you are trying to prove. Ric has pointed out that Mancini is the manager that has/will get the best out of Mario. He has stated Marios respect for him (see the ONLY interview Mario has done for proof of this). Mancini has always said that he frustrates him but he believes in him. He just proved his manager right and the masses wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

claptrap for the media.

sure he said Tevez wouldn't return too, and we all know how that turned out.

Mancini seems to have the policy of using all the resources at his disposal when it comes down to it, and he did it again yesterday.

if Mancini really believed Mario was done, and really believed he had nothing to offer the team, then he wouldn't have put him on the bench at all yesterday. Mancini knows his character, and as was said above, knows that in high-pressure situations, with the spotlight on, the man can deliver something different.

even though it was a last throw of the dice, Mancini has to be given some credit for it.

SlickRic wrote: »
    claptrap for the media.

sure he said Tevez wouldn't return too, and we all know how that turned out.

Mancini seems to have the policy of using all the resources at his disposal when it comes down to it, and he did it again yesterday.

if Mancini really believed Mario was done, and really believed he had nothing to offer the team, then he wouldn't have put him on the bench at all yesterday. Mancini knows his character, and as was said above, knows that in high-pressure situations, with the spotlight on, the man can deliver something different.

even though it was a last throw of the dice, Mancini has to be given some credit for it.

Tevez is a different situation. Where has Mancini said Mario would never play for the club? I have never heard him say that. I have heard him say that Mario would be ready for the derby game, and that he had more to do for the team for the season. He has publicly said Mario frustrated him but never that he was not going to play again. That was just nonesense printed by the media that everyone has laped up.

• Advertisement

I don't see what you are trying to prove. Ric has pointed out that Mancini is the manager that has/will get the best out of Mario. He has stated Marios respect for him (see the ONLY interview Mario has done for proof of this). Mancini has always said that he frustrates him but he believes in him. He just proved his manager right and the masses wrong.
    Trying to prove? What on earth are you taking about ya big eejit? This is a forum for discussion and I'm discussing Balotelli with SlickRic. We disagree on how much credit Mancini should get for his handling of the Italian and are discussing it in a civilised and cordial manner.

How dare you stamp your little feet and tell Pighead that he's wrong. You're obviously trying to make him angry but it won't work. No way Jose. This kid ain't getting a ban.

Anyway, would you not agree that Mancini appeared to finally have lost patience with Balotelli after the Arsenal sending off?

Anyway, would you not agree that Mancini appeared to finally have lost patience with Balotelli after the Arsenal sending off?

Of course he did. It was the 3rd time this season that he did. But he got over it and carried on.

But is this not what you have to do with a talent like Mario? Mancini is only human after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Balotelli>pighead

Of course he did. It was the 3rd time this season that he did. But he got over it and carried on.

But is this not what you have to do with a talent like Mario? Mancini is only human after all.
    It was an act of desperation rather than inspiration is all I'm saying.

I don't think he threw Balotelli on thinking "And now I shall play my trump card which will lead us to glory" I think he was probably thinking "Fcuk it, we're in the **** here anyway, I may as well throw on the mad fella and hope he has one of his good days"

I still reckon Mancini will sell Mario in the summer. I'm not actually criticising Roberto here. I think Mario is nigh on impossible to handle. I don't think there's much Mancini could have done different. But I don't think he's handled him especially brilliantly either.

It was an act of desperation rather than inspiration is all I'm saying.

I don't think he threw Balotelli on thinking "And now I shall play my trump card which will lead us to glory" I think he was probably thinking "Fcuk it, we're in the **** here anyway, I may as well throw on the mad fella and hope he has one of his good days"

I still reckon Mancini will sell Mario in the summer.

Hardly. I'm not saying this was the plan or inspirational. But to say it was an act of desperation is ridiculous.

I can't say where Mario will be next year, I can only hope he stays at City. I would be very sad to see him leave, but could understand why he would, as if I had to put up with gossip girl media constantly, I'd want to go too.

• Advertisement

Hardly. I'm not saying this was the plan or inspirational. But to say it was an act of desperation is ridiculous.
    Wrong. It was actually a brilliantly astute piece of commentary from yours truly. You may not like it but that's a fact buddy.
    I can't say where Mario will be next year, I can only hope he stays at City. I would be very sad to see him leave, but could understand why he would, as if I had to put up with gossip girl media constantly, I'd want to go too.
    Ah here. Cry me a river! Mario seems to be handling the press pretty well to be honest. He comes across as an amiable character who is quite hapy with his lot. I don't think he sits at home alone tortured by the nasty words in the gossip columns. Think he'd be quite happy to stay but the decision may be taken out of his hands.

Pighead is hardly an anogram for plasmaguy is it?

Pighead is hardly an anogram for plasmaguy is it?
    It's not even close ya big ninny. For two words to work as an anagram they have to have the same amount of letters.

For example: Manchester City Champions= Mancini Accepts Hero Myths (A nod to when Mancini finally accepted Mario was no hero.

or Mancini Cache Stems Trophy which would be a great one if it was his money and if cache didn't mean something completely different.

Anyway, back on topic, everything I've said today has been bang on the money.

Anyway, back on topic, everything I've said today has been bang on the money.

^^^

This is just why I ask. The same tone of 'The world revolves around me and my facts.'

Just for yourself though, fact is defined as knowledge or information based on real occurrences. Opinion, however, is defined as a belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof.

What you've said today solely falls within the latter. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Mario Balotelli ‏ @MBB45Official
    see u at euro 12 @Joey7Barton , o u not there are u ?,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

markie29 wrote: »
    Mario Balotelli ‏ @MBB45Official
    see u at euro 12 @Joey7Barton , o u not there are u ?,,

Looks fake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I hope he never changes

yksg.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

something odd about the pic look at his hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

naa nothing really odd. He's just holding the point at the end of the corner flag!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Black socks with white boots! :eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Another angle

Balotelli+flag+pole.jpg

:D

Av4sfv8CQAEPxsS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

off.net.mk-12292.jpg
    off.net.mk-12294.jpg
    off.net.mk-12307.jpg
    off.net.mk-12295.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Italian media dropped a clanger here! WTF where they thinking?

For people on mobiles this is the cartoon image that Gazzetta dello Sport printed.

1_2012062710421839.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Raekwon wrote: »
    Italian media dropped a clanger here! WTF where they thinking?

For people on mobiles this is the cartoon image that Gazzetta dello Sport printed.

1_2012062710421839.jpg

thats disgusting...there is no need for that to be published by the paper at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Can't say I'm all that surprised to be honest. I'm amazed at the prejudicial attitudes over here, particularly in terms of how comfortable and open people are with them. Balotelli, from what I've observed, is not very well liked in Italy. A lot of the football people I'd speak to over here were genuinely surprised to learn that many English / Irish fans are fond of him. I get the sense that he is coming from the baseline position of villain, and while he has obviously done some daft things in his life, I nonetheless feel that much of the underlying reason for it is racial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Can't say I'm all that surprised to be honest. I'm amazed at the prejudicial attitudes over here, particularly in terms of how comfortable and open people are with them. Balotelli, from what I've observed, is not very well liked in Italy. A lot of the football people I'd speak to over here were genuinely surprised to learn that many English / Irish fans are fond of him. I get the sense that he is coming from the baseline position of villain, and while he has obviously done some daft things in his life, I nonetheless feel that much of the underlying reason for it is racial.

that is shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Neil3030 wrote: »

To me hes like a pantomime villian, hes nearly always in the spot light in the English media whther its playing pranks or getting in bust ups with team mates but for every good piece of press he gets or funny story theres a stupid story or bad incident on the pitch.

TBH I think the English game is better for having him as hes a character, the above article is just plain wrong IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

he is every thing that is wrong about over paid footballers, a rotten attitude all round, big headed, he def has issues mentally,

• Advertisement

he is every thing that is wrong about over paid footballers, a rotten attitude all round, big headed, he def has issues mentally,

By your reckoning you must really not like alot of footballers.

He has all the right physical and techincal attributes to be one of the best players on the planet, theres little doubt theres a little something a miss up top though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Met a Italian friend today for lunch. Big Azzurai fan. Mentioned Balotelli and his face gets angry. Change conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The world has gone mad I think when you see a story about a harmless cartoon.

If that was Di Canio up on Westminister there wouldn't be a word about it. The cartoon for me is depicting a man who has risen to the top of the game in England and the Italian International team despite all the crazy stuff he has done.

I suppose its what you behold when you look at a picture but racial thoughts never enter my head at all. Only time that happens is when I come on here or talk to some gutter press reading soccer fan in the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

eagle eye wrote: »
    The world has gone mad I think when you see a story about a harmless cartoon.

If that was Di Canio up on Westminister there wouldn't be a word about it. The cartoon for me is depicting a man who has risen to the top of the game in England and the Italian International team despite all the crazy stuff he has done.

I suppose its what you behold when you look at a picture but racial thoughts never enter my head at all. Only time that happens is when I come on here or talk to some gutter press reading soccer fan in the pub.

Dont be daft, that picture clearly depicts Mario as King Kong.

Its more fun though when people on twitter and in the press blow things out of proportion.

I can see how people could take it as a racist issue as it depicts Balotelli climbing a building referencing the obvious scene from King Kong.

Some people like to put 2 + 2 and get 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

joe123 wrote: »
    Dont be daft, that picture clearly depicts Mario as King Kong.
    And what is wrong with that?

I know where this is going but should it go there? Why are people so sensitive these days? Do you think the cartoonist is suggesting that? I don't.

• Advertisement

I know where this is going but should it go there? Why are people so sensitive these days? Do you think the cartoonist is suggesting that? I don't.

I dont think it is, but I can easily see how it could be picked up that way as its the first thing most people will think of, if they do get offended then theres a lot of things to be afraid of on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

In a country that has notoriously racist undertones from some of its football fans, sadly yes I think he is suggesting that.

If not, the guy that drew it and editor who gave it the go ahead are very stupid, especially with racism so high on the agenda these past couple of months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

gavredking wrote: »
    I dont think it is, but I can easily see how it could be picked up that way as its the first thing most people will think of, if they do get offended then theres a lot of things to be afraid of on the internet.

Now im not easily offended at all in any way, in fact usually the sicker the joke the funnier I find it. But that really does come across as a bit racist especially considering how much racism that was aimed at Balotelli while he played in Italy it would have been clear to anyone what people first thoughts would have been.

Also this is a national paper in Italy not some guy sitting at home posting up humorous pics on the internet bit of a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

In light of last seasons monkey chants from Porto fans directed at Balotelli and more recently a banana being thrown onto the pitch by Croatian fans, I personally think that the cartoonist was very foolish to depict Mario as a colossal gorilla.

Now im not easily offended at all in any way, in fact usually the sicker the joke the funnier I find it. But that really does come across as a bit racist especially considering how much racism that was aimed at Balotelli while he played in Italy it would have been clear to anyone what people first thoughts would have been.

Also this is a national paper in Italy not some guy sitting at home posting up humorous pics on the internet bit of a difference.

I know and thats why I tend to agree with EE on this, I think its not meant to come across as racist as surely no editor would allow this to be printed, it is however very easily picked upon for a racial undertone but I think it was done in innocence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

He has all the right physical and techincal attributes to be one of the best players on the planet, theres little doubt theres a little something a miss up top though.

thats not in doubt for one min ,he is a fine player and physically strong, but he just is a pain, a moaner, attention seeker, its all about him i cant stand that, he is worse than ronaldo in this respect but a lot less professional, balotelli reminds me of that kid in the movie big, a boy in a mans body

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

That's how I'd summarise him as well.

Maldini actually commented on him today, his comments say it all -
    "I’ve always been very critical of Balotelli because it’s a shame to see that attitude displayed towards everyone."

"It's really a shame because we haven’t had such a talented player like Balotelli in Italy for a long time."

"I didn't like Balotelli's performances in the two first matches, but he played a super match vs. England, in my opinion."

"Balotelli practically played by himself in the attack vs. England because Cassano seemed very tired."

"Balotelli did exactly what Prandelli asked of him and he acted like a great footballer. He really played a great game vs. England"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

He's 21 years old, he's won 4 league titles, a Champions League, and numerous domestic cups. He's scored 55 goals in 148 games over his career so far which gives him a strike rate of just about 1 in every 2.5 games. If you look at it a bit more in depth he's basically got a record of 1 goal in every 2 games for Manchester City.

It makes me laugh when you have pundits saying ''he's done nothing so far'', the same pundits who if you asked someone when they were 21 who they were, the vast majority wouldn't have a clue who you were talking about as they'd done very little in the game at that point.

He's an excellent player and I don't think he gets enough credit for it.

Yes, he does some crazy things, but he's not a bad bloke. People have to remember his background and personal life etc. It's not easy for him despite what some people think.

I really like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Yeah it can be interpreted as having 'racist undertones' but like Rooney has been illustrated as shrek many a time by cartoonists, wouldn't get too upset by the King Kong cartoons myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

You forget he's 21 what with the size of the punter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

So you despise somebody for having 'issues mentally'?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

Owen_S wrote: »
    So you despise somebody for having 'issues mentally'?

wearing gold watches at interviews that cost about 50,000 gbp is just retarded.

he comes across as someone about as intelligent as a mole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Are these the interviews where he speaks perfect English with well formed, intelligent sentences?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

What do you want him to do? Pay 50 grand for a watch and leave it at home?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

What do you want him to do? Pay 50 grand for a watch and leave it at home?

no, pay 100grand on watches on hang them off himself of course...

he should spend more time learning how to fit training bibs.

119.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement