Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get wholesale food

Options
  • 18-12-2011 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

I am wondering where is the best place to buy wholesale supplies of food.
    it may be just as cheap to buy cans of beans, Tuna etc. in Lidl as a cash and carry but I don't know.

I'm thinking of building up a supply and dipping into it for day to day use while re-stocking what I have used. If there never is any crisis I will have hedged against rising food inflation anyway which makes sense.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

what part of the country you in roughly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Red Harvest

From my experience of Cash and Carries, Lidl, Aldi and even Dunnes are cheaper for a lot of items particularly tins. Plus you can buy them on your regular shop and try before you buy, no point having a years supply of something you can't stand the taste of when you could have bought something more to your liking.

Not got anywhere in mind atm but you will find some wholesale suppliers of flour and products like that, but if you've tried you'll know without special treatment flour is not a good keeper. Rice is another item you can buy by the 10kg -25kg sac and I noticed that you can get a good deal in some of the asian food shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I'm in East Clare.
    I bought a couple of bags of Rice from a Chineese wholesale food shop on Henry st., Limerick only to discover that rice won't keep for a very long time either. Seemingly if stores well in asian countries because they store before milling it.

I reckon I'll do as suggested above and try different canned foods from Lidl, Aldi, Dunnes before comitting to large purchases. Bought a slab of coconut juice from Chineese place only to discover the kids prefer a different brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

I'm in East Clare.
    I bought a couple of bags of Rice from a Chineese wholesale food shop on Henry st., Limerick only to discover that rice won't keep for a very long time either. Seemingly if stores well in asian countries because they store before milling it.

I reckon I'll do as suggested above and try different canned foods from Lidl, Aldi, Dunnes before comitting to large purchases. Bought a slab of coconut juice from Chineese place only to discover the kids prefer a different brand.

Wholesalers are generally cheaper, and bulk buying is their trade. One thing is the vat question, when I was in the wholesale trade revenue cracked down on people who werent trading buying from wholesalers.

Business plumetted overnight. Not sure if the clampdown is still in place but the company I worked for only trade with those who are registered for vat.

I wouldve thought the ethnic shops would be the way to go ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Owryan wrote: »
    Business plumetted overnight. Not sure if the clampdown is still in place but the company I worked for only trade with those who are registered for vat.
    How does that work, if a wholesaler sells a member of the public goods, the VAT still gets paid to revenue by the wholesaler.

• Advertisement

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    How does that work, if a wholesaler sells a member of the public goods, the VAT still gets paid to revenue by the wholesaler.

Not sure about this but my guess is the greedy VAT man wants his VAT on the retail price not just the wholesale price and he's not going to get that if the stuff never makes it to a retail shop. Plus the wholesalers will normally be trading from a location that does not have planning permission to sell to the general public.

Not sure about this but my guess is the greedy VAT man wants his VAT on the retail price not just the wholesale price and he's not going to get that if the stuff never makes it to a retail shop. Plus the wholesalers will normally be trading from a location that does not have planning permission to sell to the general public.[/Quote

Wholesale is meant to be trade only. If someone buys who is not registered for vat they generally dont pay tax on any profits they makeselling stuff on.

I ve seen revenue inspectors questioning sales of under a tenner done on dockets made out to a "cash sale" suppose its all about getting any money they can in.

But back on topic. I personally dont subsribe to the whole idea of stockpiling for some natural disaster or similar. Can I ask the op what he thinks might happen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭waterfordham

I was wandering around Musgraves with the brother in law recently. The items that caught my attention.

Kittensoft Toilet paper, less than half price vs Tesco
    Diswasher Tabs, less than half price vs Tesco
    Duracell AA/AAA batteries, about 2/3 price of Tesco
    Tayto's about 4/5 price
    Small tins Batchelors Baked beans about 2/3 price of Tesco (3 packs)
    Small time Peas were more expensive than Tesco
    500g Cornflakes about 2/3 price of Tesco

I was wandering around Musgraves with the brother in law recently. The items that caught my attention.

Kittensoft Toilet paper, less than half price vs Tesco
    Diswasher Tabs, less than half price vs Tesco
    Duracell AA/AAA batteries, about 2/3 price of Tesco
    Tayto's about 4/5 price
    Small tins Batchelors Baked beans about 2/3 price of Tesco (3 packs)
    Small time Peas were more expensive than Tesco
    500g Cornflakes about 2/3 price of Tesco

But would you be stocking up on brandnames for an appocalypse?

Its really down to whether you are buying survival rations as such or just sencibly extending your normal shop so you have supplies for 2,3,4,5 or more weeks rather than just one. Then of course everything gets used in rotation where as bulk buys might just end up being dumped (or fed the chickens at our place) when they get to the age where they are unedible.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Tescos is highway robbery anyway!
    Fact is all the shops are creaming us here..

Was over in Germany in November having a look at one of the Lidil flyers.They had the generators for sale 150 Euros!!!!!!!!!
    Over here last time they did that it was 300 euros!!!!:mad::mad:

Taking into account transport costs and store profit,and the bulk Lidil buys these things in at.There is still a profit for somone of close onto 50%

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

back on topic. I personally dont subsribe to the whole idea of stockpiling for some natural disaster or similar. Can I ask the op what he thinks might happen ?
    if you read the rest of this forum it might answer your question! He is not preparing for anything specific, could be anything. What if we got bad floods again and the shops ran out of food. The op would be able to stay at home provided it was not flooded and feed his family. Just one example

Oh get off your bloody high horse, I read his opening post and was curious what he thinks might happen. ie does he think the weather is going to turn like last year or if the euro goes will we be plunged into a period of civil unrest.

how the hell am i on a high horse? You asked a question which would be answered in nearly every thread in this forum and i gave you an example too

Oh get off your bloody high horse, I read his opening post and was curious what he thinks might happen. ie does he think the weather is going to turn like last year or if the euro goes will we be plunged into a period of civil unrest.
    Theres some good discussion here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056466228

Its more about preparing for a wide variety of problems which can arise however, and does no harm as long as you're eating your supplies and replacing them as you go. In fact you'll probably save a good bit of money that way. I'm more into it for the bushcraft meself, but sure why not.

Theres some good discussion here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056466228

Its more about preparing for a wide variety of problems which can arise however, and does no harm as long as you're eating your supplies and replacing them as you go. In fact you'll probably save a good bit of money that way. I'm more into it for the bushcraft meself, but sure why not.

Thanks. I was just curious if the op had any particular scenario in mind .

Reason im so onterested is because my brother left his wife over her hoarding of foodstuffs. She believes that a new world order is on the way. My own belief is we should let someone run the country but im intrigued by what some people think

Edited to remove insult. Apologies

how the hell am i on a high horse? You asked a question which would be answered in nearly every thread in this forum and i gave you an example too

Btw the question was directed to the op not you .,

Btw the question was directed to the op not you .,
    <br />
    do you think i was gettin on at you about something? Because i wasn't. I noticed it was one of your first posts here and was actually tryin to point you in the direction that was helpful to your question. And you Didnt get under my skin as per your above post, its alot thicker than that!

Reason im so onterested is because my brother left his wife over her hoarding of foodstuffs.
    Wow, that must have been some hoarding habit! Were they sleeping in the shed because the house was too full of tins or something? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Zorbas

Wow, that must have been some hoarding habit! Were they sleeping in the shed because the house was too full of tins or something? :D

Instead of leaving her husband she decided to lock him out after using up all his credit and because they could not agree on what tv to watch, she just wanted a quiet Xmas with her new HD flat screen and all the nuts / cream cakes etc to herself - cant really blame her and its every woman's right anyhow.

Reason im so onterested is because my brother left his wife over her hoarding of foodstuffs.

Its so serious its funny . He reckons theres enough bagged rice, beans n what not to feed africa. He is devastated cause he hates rice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭waterfordham

But would you be stocking up on brandnames for an appocalypse?

Erm, no, I was just giving prices of stuff I noticed when I was there. That's what the bother-in-law was buying. That said.. AA/AAA's and Toilet Roll are always useful to have.;)

I have to agree with Grizzly though, we're being reamed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

I shop at musgrave cash and carry for work, so here's what i think re using a wholesaler for prepping.

1. Bulk food is cheaper in the wholesaler.

2. If you are rotating food in your store so as not to waste it as it approaches its use by date, then it makes sense to buy in the quantity you normally use, for me thats small tins, maybe a large family would still use catering packs.

3, bulk buying small tins, like a tray of two dozen baked beans is usually not cheaper than getting tesco cheapest brands.

4. Maybe a catering wholesale company would be differnet, musgrave does some catering stuff and a lot of name brand stuff for retail in small corner shops, its nt cheaper than tescos, unless you buy catering size packs.

5. There are a few items i would consider from there, such as catering size honey or sugar. But for tines i would go to tesco.

6. In a survival situation, i am thinking refrigeration might be dodgy so it would be better to have single serving tines or at most two servings. A huge ten serving tin of tuna say could be dangerous if you did not refrigerate it, uunless of couse you are serving ten people.

Thats all. Tins in general have very long shelf life. So its not to hard to have emergency food stock quite cheaply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

These lads used to be good Based in Farranfore I think. Not sure if they still are

http://www.mwf.ie/

Advertisement