Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need Help Car broken down

• 18-12-2011 1:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Hi can any one help me i was driving my car on the motor way it was driving fine on till i had to stop at the toll. When i went to take of the car was reving very high in every gear so i pulled over pulled the bonnet and i could smell oil looked under the car and i could see oil coming out from what it looked like from the sump i could not tell for sure as it was dark and there was no oil on the dip stick. The engine still run's and the car is still driving etc but im not going to chase wreaking the engine.

Ive to go back and get it in the morning any idea's what it could be.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

Hi can any one help me i was driving my car on the motor way it was driving fine on till i had to stop at the toll. When i went to take of the car was reving very high in every gear so i pulled over pulled the bonnet and i could smell oil looked under the car and i could see oil coming out from what it looked like from the sump i could not tell for sure as it was dark and there was no oil on the dip stick. The engine still run's and the car is still driving etc but im not going to chase wreaking the engine.

Did you get the car serviced recently ?

Did the oil warning light come on ?

I am not a mechanic, but did you hit anything that could have cracked the sump tank?

topping an oil leak can sometimes be frustrating if you don't find and correct the source of the problem. The valve cover gaskets are probably just the symptom of the leak and not the source.
    Auto Life Motorcycle Home Life Health

First, you need to determine what kind of "leak" your car has. There are two types of oil spills, a seep and a leak. A seep is just that, a slow seepage of oil that does not produce a drip, is sometimes not noticeable on the pavement as a "spill," and generally does not seep enough oil to adversely affect the oil level between oil changes. You may sometimes notice smoke or a burning odor caused by oil seeping on a hot engine or from coming into contact with hot exhaust parts. Seeps do not necessarily have to be repaired immediately.
    A leak is just that, a leak that causes a drip of oil when the vehicle is parked. A leak will produce a puddle of oil on the pavement, and continues to drip while the vehicle is driven. A leak can adversely affect oil levels, and if not checked, can drain enough oil to do internal engine damage. A leak will usually be accompanied by smoke and a burning odor. Leaks should be corrected immediately.
    It is extremely common to have oil seeps from a valve cover on just about every car with over 30,000 miles. A small oil seep at the valve cover gasket will attract dust and dirt that sticks to the seepage, so this "seep" can be obvious to the naked eye and still not be serious enough to require replacement of the gaskets at this time.
    Just for grins, I went out and looked at my car and my wife's car, and both vehicles have valve cover seeps. Although these seeps are coming from a leaking valve cover gasket, they do not warrant replacing the gasket at this time. If one of my cars were taken to a repair shop, I would suspect I would receive a call from the service manager advising me my valve covers are leaking and should be replaced. He would be correct to say they are "leaking," but if I did not experience one of the symptoms of a leaking gasket I described earlier I would not have the gaskets replaced at this time.
    So why do the gaskets leak? The valve covers are located at the top of the motor and they are a common source of engine oil seeps and leaks. The valve covers are just that, protecting covers over the valves and rocker arms at the top of the engine. The valve covers are bolted to the top of the engine and a large egg-carton-shaped gasket made of rubber or cork that seals the cover to the engine. Click here for illustration.
    Oil is pumped from the bottom of the engine to the top of the engine to lubricate the valve train. This oil pools inside the valve cover as it slowly drips back inside the engine via "drain back holes" inside the cylinder head, then it cycles up to the valve train again. On a V-8 or V-6 engine, the valve covers are at an angle, and the oil accumulates at the bottom of the valve cover. The hot exhaust system is located directly below the valve cover, and a small amount of leaking oil that comes in contact with these hot exhaust parts can produce smoke and a burning odor. Sludge build up due to lack of frequent oil changes can cause these drain back holes to become restricted, slowing the drain back process. This restriction causes the oil to accumulate in the valve cover longer and exert more pressure on the valve cover gaskets.
    A Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) valve is inserted in the valve cover itself, and the purpose of this valve is to act as a vent for excess pressure that accumulates inside the engine and valve cover areas. Click here for illustrations A restricted PCV valve can cause this excess pressure to find new avenues to vent, and an oil gasket or seal is usually "blown out" to let this pressure escape. Think of the PCV valve as the valve on top of an old time pressure cooker in your kitchen. When the pressure inside reaches a certain point, the valve begins to shake from side-to-side and vent off excess steam. If this valve is restricted, the steam will find another way to vent off excess pressure--by blowing the lid off the pot.
    If you have a higher-mileage car and are only experiencing seeps as explained above, then it is my recommendation to just keep an eye on the gaskets and replace them should the problem escalate to a true leak. Also, make sure you are following proper preventive maintenance of your vehicle. The PCV valve should be replaced periodically, and the PCV system should be inspected to make sure no restriction is present. I replace the PCV valve when I perform a tune up on vehicles in my shop. The valve is inexpensive and easy to install. Changing the engine oil and filter often and inspecting the PCV system are the best ways to prevent costly engine oil leaks.

http://www.trustmymechanic.com/valve_cover_leak.htm

might help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

where are you?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

mbiking123 wrote: »
    Did you get the car serviced recently ?

Did the oil warning light come on ?

I am not a mechanic, but did you hit anything that could have cracked the sump tank?

No but it is due a service now

The oil light did not come on but a light that looks like its for the wipers came on the other day not sure what it is for.

I didn't hit anything but I have not being using the car this week as i was sick so i let my girlfriend use it for work as i usually drop her to work.

aujopimur wrote: »
    where are you?.

The car is on the M1

• Advertisement

No but it is due a service now

The oil light did not come on but a light that looks like its for the wipers came on the other day not sure what it is for.

I didn't hit anything but I have not being using the car this week as i was sick so i let my girlfriend use it for work as i usually drop her to work.

Maybe there is an electrical problem, if oil pump did not work because of lack of power you would have problems with oil

My 11 year old car was turning into a money pit, electricial problem was last straw. Its off the road and will get a replacement. Various warning lights was flickering which I believe indicates faulty alternator, in any case am not going to find out

I am answering you based on personal experience only, but someone did ask where you are currently. How old is car ? what is milage ?

sorry

possibly just needs fluid in the washer bottle, sensor may have triggered low water level

http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16790

mbiking123 wrote: »
    Maybe there is an electrical problem, if oil pump did not work because of lack of power you would have problems with oil

My 11 year old car was turning into a money pit, electricial problem was last straw. Its off the road and will get a replacement. Various warning lights was flickering which I believe indicates faulty alternator, in any case am not going to find out

I am answering you based on personal experience only, but someone did ask where you are currently. How old is car ? what is milage ?

Now that you say electrical problem's the battery was lose during the week must have been lose from last time it was out when it went flat after leaving the lights on and i never fixed it as i was sick and forgot all about it today when using the car could a lose battery cause the pump to be acting up ?

Its a 11 year old with 145k miles on it Mitsubishi carsima diesel

I have 185,000 miles Toyota Avensis

most drivers may never need to change their oil pump, it is important to know the symptoms in case you are experiencing problems with your vehicle. Your oil pump is an integral part of your vehicle's engine performance, and if it fails it could cause serious damage to your car. An engine oil pump sucks oil out of your oil pan and pumps it through your oil filter onto the bearings.

Most likely the first symptom will be your engine or oil light indicator on your dashboard coming on to alert you there is a problem. Still this isn't always the case and often times the driver fails to notice the light or ignores it. Typically if the oil light is on it is an indication that the oil pressure is low. This isn't an automatic indication you have a problem with your oil pump, as there could be a leak, or your engine could be burning oil. The problem could be solved by checking the dipstick and adding oil if it is low. If the light persists you can check for these other symptoms:

Low Oil Pressure: A bad oil pump will lose the ability to properly pump oil through your system. This will result in low oil pressure that could lead to further vehicle damage.

Increased Engine Operating Temperature: Oil reduces the friction on the parts in your vehicle, which in turn keeps temperatures regulated while the vehicle is in operation. When the flow of engine oil is reduced, the parts don't remain properly lubricated and thus heat up. Increased friction leads to increased temperatures and possibly more problems down the road.

Noise: Your vehicles hydraulic lifters are an important part of your engine's operation and it is important that they are adequately lubricated. When your engine is working properly these lifters are virtually silent, but when the flow of oil is cut off to the lifters they begin to make noise and wear unevenly. It is extremely expensive to have lifters replaced and extremely important they are properly lubricated.

In addition to the hydraulic lifters, your valve train may begin to make noise if your oil pump begins to fail. This includes the pushrods, the seals, and valve guides. All of these parts need to be properly lubricated as well. A bad oil pump can result in a lot of additional noise from your valve train system.

Lastly, your oil pump may begin to make noise if it isn't working properly. This is a less common problem than some of the others presented here. If your oil pump begins to make noise it will be a loud whining or whirring sound. This is a result of the internal gear mechanism wearing down. As it begins to fail, your oil pump could make a bit of noise.

It is unlikely that most drivers will ever experience an oil pump failure, but if you experience any of these symptoms, you may need to have your vehicle checked. It is always best to repair parts as soon as you experience a problem as extended wear could lead to a reduction in your engine life

http://www.carsdirect.com/car-repair/common-oil-pump-failure-symptoms

Where do you have to get the car to ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Op if the engine was running and revving high in gear sounds to me like your clutch is gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Darsad wrote: »
    Op if the engine was running and revving high in gear sounds to me like your clutch is gone

Not sure about this as the OP does not seem to be too mechanically minded. What may have been happening is that the engine sounded like it was revving high but was in fact just making a lot of noise as oil had drained and engine was being damaged. Maybe the OP could confirm that the revs we showing higher on the clock?

Or maybe he has 2 problems as a slipping clutch would not make the oil drain from the engine.

Advertisement