Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

550d Videos and Final Cut Pro

Options
  • 18-12-2011 2:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

hey guys recently got a Canon 550d mainly for video but a few photos aswell. when i import the .mov files to final cut and place them on the timeline i need to render the video which is fairly time consuming. i've bein hearing about converting the files to a different codec before using them in FCP but i cant find a solid answer as to what codec and what software to use to carry out the conversion. anyone got any experience with this???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭gaza4

thanks for that info m83, i downloaded mpeg streamclip but i couldnt find the codec you suggested. heres a list of the options o have...

screenshot1.jpg

In that case use the first one on your list: uncompressed 422 8-bit.

no joy with that, still have to render the video when its on the timeline!!!

Eh? This is normal.

• Advertisement

m83 wrote: »
    Eh? This is normal.

spending 10 mins rendering a 30 second clip before i can even begin editing doesnt seem normal to me...

gaza4 wrote: »
    spending 10 mins rendering a 30 second clip before i can even begin editing doesnt seem normal to me...

Hmm, you failed to mention that in your OP. It's not normal.

What are your computer specs? You need to provide a lot more information if you want to fix this.

Hmm, you failed to mention that in your OP. It's not normal.

What are your computer specs? You need to provide a lot more information if you want to fix this.

ah my fault for not phrasing it better. everywhere i've looked for a solution the problem is the long rendering times caused by the h264 codec and it resolved with the ProRes codec i dont have.

my system is
    OS 10.5.8
    2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2Gb 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    Final Cut Pro 5.1

i dont think its a system problem because i can easily work with files from my Sony PD150 DvCam...

You could try using the AIC codec for now. I believe the ProRes codecs come with FCP7. Certainly consider an upgrade. Same with your RAM, it's extremely cheap these days and only a 10 minute job to install.

You could try using the AIC codec for now. I believe the ProRes codecs come with FCP7. Certainly consider an upgrade. Same with your RAM, it's extremely cheap these days and only a 10 minute job to install.

thanks for all your help man, i guess i'll just have to persevere with long renders for now. think i'm gonna hold off on upgrading, starting college in september so i'll probley pick up a nice macbook round about then, but what spec would you recommend i upgrade to???

• Advertisement

i gave up on this for the christmas and cracked it last night. my sequence settings were the problem. i feel a bit stupid for not even considering the sequence settings!!! ah well noob mistake, live and learn etc...

heres a quick video i made with my solution for anyone who might stumble by this thread looking for an answer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAQEPUg86Qc&feature=g-upl&context=G257dd34AUAAAAAAAAAA

Advertisement