Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to get a list of websites visited from UPC?

• 18-12-2011 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭

I was just curious about this do the offer a thing were you get get a list of all the websites you visited over the past month:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

ive asked them recently (in the last 3 months) and they told me no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Random wrote: »
    ive asked them recently (in the last 3 months) and they told me no.

LOL with the browseing history in my house the list would probley be endless :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

afaik, if you register with opendns and set it up on your router, you can set up monitoring on their end of all the dns requests that are made.

there's also several routers (or alternative firmwares for older routers) which offer built in monitoring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I think it would be considered a privacy issue if that info wasn't instantly disposed of on their end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

You can setup google to remember your interweb history when you're logged in. It's in Preferences somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

biggebruv wrote: »
    I was just curious about this do the offer a thing were you get get a list of all the websites you visited over the past month:confused:

most web browsers have a history component that lets you browse the websites that you've been on

on firefox for example... click the firefox button (top left) and click "history" in the menu that drops down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I think it would be considered a privacy issue if that info wasn't instantly disposed of on their end.
    on the contrary, EU data retention laws require ISP's to keep a history of their customer's internet usage for afaik either 2 or 3 years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

vibe666 wrote: »
    on the contrary, EU data retention laws require ISP's to keep a history of their customer's internet usage for afaik either 2 or 3 years.
    But they are only allowed to share that data for serious crimes with the police and the data may not be used for anything else then serious crimes (and I think it is not the actual pages but rather the IP = person and mobile phone location etc. that is stored).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭java

vibe666 wrote: »

My understanding is all that is required to be retained is ip authentication records, i.e. who has what ip at a particular time, as Nody says, rather than traffic content. I am open to correction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

java wrote: »
    My understanding is all that is required to be retained is ip authentication records, i.e. who has what ip at a particular time, as Nody says, rather than traffic content. I am open to correction.

IP records, IP lookups, DNS lookups etc. are all recorded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭java

roast wrote: »
    IP records, IP lookups, DNS lookups etc. are all recorded.

Not necessarily. Depends on the ISP. They are not obliged to retain their customers DNS lookups. Not sure what you mean by IP lookups.

Advertisement