Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Online Gaming Experience?

Options
  • 18-12-2011 4:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭

I need to know your 1st online gaming experience and how it was for you! Would be interesting to see were most Irish gamers started.

Personally I am not certain of mine, seen as I live in the country I did not get broadband until pretty late. I remember trying to play everquest on dial up...was not pretty!

But my 1st proper experience I think was in an internet cafe playing world of warcraft, I was blown away by the fact that these things I was interacting with were other people & I would just follow them around for ages.

When I eventually got broadband I lived for CoD:MW1, to say I was addicted was an understatement.

It completely opened up a new world to me, I find it hard to play single player games anymore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

My very first was back in the good ol' days of MSN games - can't remember the "zone" name. Played Checkers and was able to join lobbies of Midtown Madness quickly and easily. Also gave Quake 2 a bash - mainly FFA on custom maps...

56k connections though :x

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Age of Empires II ! Was class...

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    My very first was back in the good ol' days of MSN games - can't remember the "zone" name. Played Checkers and was able to join lobbies of Midtown Madness quickly and easily. Also gave Quake 2 a bash - mainly FFA on custom maps...

56k connections though :x

The Zone! Now that was the craic! My first proper online gaming was with Rainbow Six Rogue Spear (awesome game!) on the Zone. Remember all the rooms that used to be called "CABLE ONLY! NO NEWBS!" and Id sneak on with my 56kewl and pretend to have broadband. If anyone questioned my ping I'd just attack the host and say he must be the one without cable.

Great times. Ended up starting my first clan, Da Syndicate (I was like 12 or something), learning html, building first website, entering ladder games and all that. Brilliant. Still have a great friend in scotland from that time and that was probably 10 years ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I would have to consider it to be the Jagex castle, playing Monster Wars or Cyber Wars or whatever the hell it was called. Probably one of the first people to discover Multiboxing, since I was one of the few people playing from a library with roundtables where you could easily be in reach of 5 PCs to be logged into a 6 player game, it made it real unfair to the other guy so I eventually just dialed it back to 2, it seemed like enough of a competitive edge.

Then there was Half Life deathmatch..... I won't go there. It was epic don't get me wrong, but I got my ass kicked more often than I got flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am not Irish, but back from where I came my first online experience was quake 2. First it was in Internet cafes. Then I got my own all might pentuim 1 200mhz 32 ram and 2mb gpu!!! It could not run quake 2 on 640x480, but **** that! I was. Playing a slide show, but it was from my home and I was happy as pig in ****!

If you haven't lived with 36k modem, you havent lived at all!!! :)

3.4kb/s download speed! Savage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Was a console player with some PC games growing up, but it was years until I played an online game. My first ever was playing Metroid Prime Hunetrs in a café with wifi. I enjoyed it, but as I did not understand lag I thought some people were cheating. Good fun though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

where im living only got broadband in the last 7-8 years :rolleyes: so the first proper mp experience i had was counter strike source

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Doom in college. Good times. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Cant be sure, was probs CS but it could have been before then. We used to LAN age and EE, but I never played them online even though we had 56k and then were one of the first to get broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Cod4 :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Start Wars BF 1 . Ended up in a gaming clan too from it. Miss those days :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Playing some UT and CS about 10 years ago in the internet cafes.
    Then a few years later playing Guild Wars and Eve on dial-up.

good times :)
    huge bills :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Played either C&C Red Alert or Total Annihilation over dialup with my friend down the road, where I'd call his phone in the game, I think he rage quit when I nuked him :D

Then Counter Strike (original) while it was in early versions, and CS: Source when it came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I thiiiiink it was Tachyon: Beyond the Fringe. It played really well on my terrible terrible modem connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

My friend and I used to play Age of Empires death match every so often. I can't remember how we did it exactly but I remember having to enter his phone number and my modem would dial up directly to his a few doors away. That was back around 95.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

quake with a 28.8k modem, christ i feel old now and i'm only 25

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I don't really remember. It could have been the original Call of Duty, but I must've played games online before that. Fairly sure I dabbled in Commandos and maybe Quake, but they must not have have made an impact.

Played COD to bits, and I transitioned from dial-up to broadband while playing. I think it helped my timing and upped my game :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Call of duty 4 , twas magicial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

LAN gaming count? I remember staying back a few night to play some CS. I still sucked but it was the camaraderie and slagging during and after that I enjoyed.

Have to say I'm a bit of a late comer (heh) to actual online gaming. Think the first game I decided to brave online against strangers (danger!) was Halo Reach on my shiny xbox! Yeah. Forget fashionably late. I arrived when everyone was passed out on the couch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Ah, Dark Forces 2, 56K modem, lag, CHETARR SKUM and my little brother being infuriatingly better than me.

Good times, good times...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

on pc, quake, the miracles of dialup internet from indigo. on console, cod4 really, had hopped in and out of a few things before that but hadnt put any time into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Hmm, first time ever was Doom in my cousin's computer lab in college...I think I was about 10? :pac:

After that it was a sporadic mix of Quake in school and early CS betas in the internet cafe in town. Ah, the joys of not getting broadband at home till the mid-2000s.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

My first experience was playing Doom, circa 1995 in Net @ccess cyber cafe in Galway city. About a dozen familiar faces would show up in there after school. It was great craic, especially this time of year. You mightn't even know the name of the person that just joined in, but everyone was welcome & really sound. The fee for staying there all day varied from free to feck all depending who was working & the level of craic that was had. When you walk past it (in the old malt arcade in Galway) you'll still see the original Doom murals painted on the wall inside.

Great memories.

In college it was Quake(world) & UT by the time I got my Bachelors degree. Good fun, but much more serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

gizmo wrote: »
    Hmm, first time ever was Doom in my cousin's computer lab in college...I think I was about 10? :pac:

After that it was a sporadic mix of Quake in school and early CS betas in the internet cafe in town. Ah, the joys of not getting broadband at home till the mid-2000s.

Pretty much the exact same as myself!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

UT 99. God those were the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

First multiplayer LAN experience was the original Doom...

The over a phone line one was Quake 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

CoD4 was my first proper online game, but i do remember playing against people on that miniclip games where you use a pool queue to hit O shaped discs onto a scoring field and attempt to knock the opponents off at the same time.

I lived in the sticks so my first proper broadband was when i moved to Waherford 4 years ago. Man i missed so much...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

COD WaW in February 2009.Broadband was introduced in our area very late to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Quake 1 in an internet cafe.
    Got killed many times very fast, got pissed off, quit and then went to the tcc website
    (I was about 10)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Played a few games on PC for was very much hit or miss on a dodgy connection.

First real proper experience was playing team slayer on halo 3. Classic, fun times :D

Advertisement