Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Online Gaming Experience?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Wolfenstein Enemy Territory back in 05

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I used play on the zone! My first online game was called "Tanarus" around 1997/98... Completely changed the way I looked at games, I played that game until the server was shut down last year. Still miss it, you play a game that spans 13 years you make a lot of friends. Nothing will ever replace that game for me, these days I dabble in Call of Duty games online and while the games are infinitely better I don't seem to get that same buzz I did from a windows 95 chunky outdated game :o

Oh and I first started playing it on a 14.4k modem... how on earth we managed to play games on those thing I'll never know, when I got my 56k my life changed forever!

This is the only clip I can find on youtube of an actual battle going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭RichT

Yahoo Pool :D

table2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Counter strike 1.4 on pc on a 28k dial up modem. I used to pray that there were no updates because it would take all day and if somebody rang :o

Happy days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

I only ever got broadband way back in August of 2007, so I was quite late on the online scene. Hell, my first online game didn't come until February of next year, when I first played Sega Rally (very underrated multiplayer game). After that was CoD4 (which I didn't enjoy very much), but I really didn't start getting into online until I came across Warhawk for the very first time. Man, there were some good times on that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Age of Empires back yeors ago on a 56k. Was on my brothers puter as he moved back to my house. Was only a wee lad and i remember i was shaking with excitement at the thought of playing with another real living person!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Quakeworld with a bunch of irish online players some of whom decided it would be a good idea to set up a discussion forum for quake. Ridiculous idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

MOHAA

exciting stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

I only ever got broadband way back in August of 2007, so I was quite late on the online scene. Hell, my first online game didn't come until February of next year, when I first played Sega Rally (very underrated multiplayer game). After that was CoD4 (which I didn't enjoy very much), but I really didn't start getting into online until I came across Warhawk for the very first time. Man, there were some good times on that game.

Only got broadband in February 09.Seems like us Clare people were some of the last to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The first one I can remember would have been Half Life DM around the late 90s. Still play it to this day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Chavways wrote: »
    Only got broadband in February 09.Seems like us Clare people were some of the last to get it.

i was playin mohaa on 56k

no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

MSN Zone games and the likes of "Internet Checkers" back in the (Not so) good old days of Windows ME. Being six years old I thought they were just bots. I just couldn't imagine that I was actually playing against real people.

UPC has still yet to leave Shannon, to my knowledge. Hell, I've yet do get Next Gen Broadband from Eircom, so yeah, Clare does seem to get the royal screwjob in these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Tribes (not sure if it was 1 or 2), sneaked up on another player who was watching the sky and not the ground (enemies can come from any direction in tribes, usually from above or skiing right at you) spent a bit of time crouch in front of him before killing him, it would never happen with a bot and i loved that.

A lot of UT, some CS (not much) and loads of Age of empires ( you could pause the whole mp game and each time you did a few people would try to unpause it at the same time and re-pause it again).

Played a lot of UT in transition year as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

UPC has still yet to leave Shannon, to my knowledge. Hell, I've yet do get Next Gen Broadband from Eircom, so yeah, Clare does seem to get the royal screwjob in these things.

What is this next gen broadband you speak of? It is unheard of in these parts.

What is this next gen broadband you speak of? It is unheard of in these parts.
    Oh, Eircom said that they would upgrade everyone to 8Mb broadband in the near future (they were doing all those ads on TV, quite a few months back). Still not upgraded, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Perfect dark zero on the 360 when it was released. Only got internet in 2005. Played LAN games since the late 90s though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I think it was Unreal Tournament or Rainbow 6. Would always host a match on The Zone since matches would play better.

I was almost Asian-like on Rainbow 6, was always funny watching people rage about cheating.

UT99 was the bee's knees, though. CTF on that level that floated in space with the 2 pyramids either side and pure mayhem in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

TOCA Race Driver 3. Competition was tough but it was very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

Oh, Eircom said that they would upgrade everyone to 8Mb broadband in the near future (they were doing all those ads on TV, quite a few months back). Still not upgraded, yet.

I believe my first online experience was playing Gears 1. I still play it today.

Eircom are broke they've no money to invest in broadband really. Their only pumping money into certain broadband projects in the hope of taking business from UPC ..

Ya the ads that claim Eircom customers return after leaving!! I wonder about those ads been right and genuine? Look i wish i could get rid of these clowns, but am stuck, because nobody else can provide the same service were i live. Their service isn't great mind you ( 7 down and 312kb upload) but what i find funny is them describing this as super fast broadband! Were do the managers of Eircom live, a cave?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

1999 Unreal Tournament followed shortly by Quake III on a 128k ISDN line my dad had installed for his business. Pings under 100ms and I didn't even have to stop playing when someone wanted to make a phone call, what luxury!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I got into online gaming pretty late. A friend pointed me towards Steam and I bought CS:S in an online sale last year (it was around Christmas iirc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    TOCA Race Driver 3. Competition was tough but it was very enjoyable.
    Really miss the toca racing series, fantastic racing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Unreal Tournament 99, in terms of intensive play - man, that game was a classic, unrivaled even by its own sequels. I played games before that, but my internet was just too slow to bother much. I think the first thing I ever played online was maybe Quake, but not much at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Doom in Secondary School on the LAN.
    Then it was Unreal Tournament in college.
    Got a job then and started with Call of Duty United Offensive. Still go back to it now and then. Rhineland 24/7 server is still class.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Discworld Mudd around 1994.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Used to have LANs of Shadow Warrior and Duke 3D in the computer room in school. One of my friends then had a 3 PC LAN in the house so used to play a lot of Starcraft, Half-Life and Quake 2 over it as well, good times. Probably started playing with a bit of Quake but really got into online with counterstrike. It also ended up putting me off online gaming.

Now I can't stand playing online games. I play the odd bit but it takes something really special like L4D and Dark Souls before I'd play online. It's just full of twats now. Do like playing on steam with the boards guys every now and again.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Now I can't stand playing online games. I play the odd bit but it takes something really special like L4D and Dark Souls before I'd play online. It's just full of twats now. Do like playing on steam with the boards guys every now and again.
    Don't you worry. Once CoD falls out in favour with said twats, we'll be back to the way it originally was before...that, or the games industry will crash. Either way, gaming will be our secret club, again.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Quake on a 28.8 modem in 1997.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Phantasty Star Online on the Dreamcast. It was epic at the time even with the struggles of a crap 33.6k modem. :)

Advertisement