Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Online Gaming Experience?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

HL2 Deathmatch, game of kings.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

RuneScape - I went overboard on that one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

The original Delta Force ... remember knowing all the maps inside out, those were much simpler days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Now I can't stand playing online games. I play the odd bit but it takes something really special like L4D and Dark Souls before I'd play online. It's just full of twats now. Do like playing on steam with the boards guys every now and again.

Online gaming has always been full of twats, and always will be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Online gaming has always been full of twats, and always will be.

Yup, but more so now than usual I find.

One reason why online gaming isn't for me is that I play games to have fun. I don't and can't take online gaming seriously so once the player base of a game gets too serious I bail out. I've too many other games to enjoy to devote myself to just the one. It's why I bailed on CS, player base started taking it too seriously and it stopped being fun when there were too many egos involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

The very first Rainbow Six game on PC with a long ass phone cable stretched across two rooms :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yup, but more so now than usual I find.

Nah, you just got old - now you're just sat on porch, waving your cane at the punk kids headshoting, camping and teabaging all the live long day.
    Metaphorically speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

My first would have been Duke Nukem 3D on Xbox Live in an old friends house. He was playing multiplayer against one other guy in the Stadium, and getting hammered. I'd played tons of single player over the years, so I thought it looked great, and heckled him for the controller. When he finally passed it to me, I started gunning down the other guy, and wound up winning the match. Of course, not all my online experiences were that merry (far from, in fact), but that sure was a nice way to start off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nah, you just got old - now you're just sat on porch, waving your cane at the punk kids headshoting, camping and teabaging all the live long day.
    Metaphorically speaking.

I learnt more swear words and their combinations from a month of XBox Live than from playing CS. Perhaps it was better when everyone didn't have microphones and thus a soapbox to air their grievances, somethings are best left unsaid. It was definitely a lot more civil pre-counterstrike. Counterstrike was when online gaming got bad for me, not Xbox Live like some people think. Teamkilling to get the best vehicles in BF2 also put me off that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

nsnipes, all other games are still working up to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I first started at Battlefield Vietnam, and to this day still my favorite game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭BeefyS

C&C via dialup to my mates! Ion Cannon charging. I have to agree that multiplayer nowadays isnt as good as it was, too many kiddies online. Id love if there were servers for games that were 21+ years only or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Sparkyd2002

delta force on Dial up. What a great game that was.Graphics were poor enough but gameplay was awesome. Couldnt belive i was able to communicate with other real players while going around trying to slit throats lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Starcraft on dial-up , and it wasnt a standard game...it was some custom thing someone made

2-3 months later I got MOHAA, and was on that for the next 3 years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Age of Empires was probably the first one I played online. We used to play Quake in school too.

Wow, remember you used to have to dial up to the internet and wait for a few minutes for it to connect? We only had one phone line at home, so anytime somebody rang our house phone I'd get disconnected!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Gandalph wrote: »
    I need to know your 1st online gaming experience and how it was for you! Would be interesting to see were most Irish gamers started.

Personally I am not certain of mine, seen as I live in the country I did not get broadband until pretty late. I remember trying to play everquest on dial up...was not pretty!

But my 1st proper experience I think was in an internet cafe playing world of warcraft, I was blown away by the fact that these things I was interacting with were other people & I would just follow them around for ages.

When I eventually got broadband I lived for CoD:MW1, to say I was addicted was an understatement.

It completely opened up a new world to me, I find it hard to play single player games anymore.

Back in approximately 1992, there were various multiplayer games accessible in the UK via modem on bulletin boards. Thats where I started.

I played multi-player descent via modem in 1995.

BT also conducted a multi-player online trial around this time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

first game i played online was monster hunter on the ps2 and i played it to death. Cant believe they havent released a new one on the ps3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

tonydude wrote: »
    first game i played online was monster hunter on the ps2 and i played it to death. Cant believe they havent released a new one on the ps3.
    And judging from the fact that Japanese devs are moving onto portable gaming, you're not likely to see one for quite some time...unless this version counts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Hunter_Portable_3rd

tonydude wrote: »

Get a PSP. Japanese devs are currently ruing every franchise they have turning them into monster hunter clones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

And judging from the fact that Japanese devs are moving onto portable gaming, you're not likely to see one for quite some time...unless this version counts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Hunter_Portable_3rd

It might ease the need to play a new one for some time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Unreal Tournament 99.
    I think every gaming experience since has paled in comparison to charging across the bridge in Facing Worlds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Chu-Chu rocket on the dreamcast.
    I bloody loved that console.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I think it was Unreal Tournament or Rainbow 6. Would always host a match on The Zone since matches would play better.

I was almost Asian-like on Rainbow 6, was always funny watching people rage about cheating.

UT99 was the bee's knees, though. CTF on that level that floated in space with the 2 pyramids either side and pure mayhem in the middle.

With Rogue Spear there was an Auto Aim cheat and a radar cheat I think? Looking back, I wish I'd cheated! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Anyone ever play Quake 3 Fortress? That was some game, good online community too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

First proper online gaming experience for me was Quake 2. Used to run on a Celeron 400mhz with a crossover 3DFX Voodoo 1 card along with my very trusty 56k Pace modem. Ah those were the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    Anyone ever play Quake 3 Fortress? That was some game, good online community too.
    Used to love me some Quake 3 Jailbreak :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭Daith

Quake in college. Also ZSnes mulitplayer Mario Kart.

Discworld MUD also.

Advertisement