Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1,000 Gaming PC Recommendations

Options
  • 18-12-2011 4:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hey all, I'm experiencing some problems with my old gaming rig and was thinking of getting a new system. I'd greatly appreciate your recommendations.

I'm looking for something within the €1,000 range and am thinking of ordering from Hardware Versand.

My ideal spec would be an i7, 16GB RAM, two 1GB+ graphics cards running SLI/CrossFire, an SSD (I have a 1TB HDD from my old system I can use), 700+ W PSU, and a good case with lots of fans/cooling system to keep everything nice and cool. Sound isn't a big issue for me, but if it can be quiet within budget even better.

I don't need keyboard, mouse, or monitor. Feel free to recommend other things I should consider getting, etc.

I'd prefer it assembled for me, so add in €20 for assembly and €30 for delivery on top of the €1,000 kit budget.

The main game I'm playing at the moment is Star Wars: The Old Republic, if that helps. I know this is probably overkill for that, but I'd like it to last me a few years of high-end gaming.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

-D

EDIT:

1. What is your budget? €1,000

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming (SWTOR, LOTRO, Skryim, Dragon Age, etc. at highest quality)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Hard drive, DVD drive

5. Do you need a monitor? No

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes

8. How can you pay? Bank/Credit Card

9. When are you purchasing? 2-3 days

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Tallaght, Dublin (will get HardwareVersand to assemble, I can install the HDD/DVD drives)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Hey all, I'm experiencing some problems with my old gaming rig and was thinking of getting a new system. I'd greatly appreciate your recommendations.

I'm looking for something within the €1,000 range and am thinking of ordering from Hardware Versand.

My ideal spec would be an i7, 16GB RAM, two 1GB+ graphics cards running SLI/CrossFire, an SSD (I have a 1TB HDD from my old system I can use), 700+ W PSU, and a good case with lots of fans/cooling system to keep everything nice and cool. Sound isn't a big issue for me, but if it can be quiet within budget even better.

I don't need keyboard, mouse, or monitor. Feel free to recommend other things I should consider getting, etc.

I'd prefer it assembled for me, so add in €20 for assembly and €30 for delivery on top of the €1,000 kit budget.

The main game I'm playing at the moment is Star Wars: The Old Republic, if that helps. I know this is probably overkill for that, but I'd like it to last me a few years of high-end gaming.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

-D

If you are just gaming on it the i7-2600k and 16GB of ram are kind of pointless. The i5-2500k preforms the exact same at gaming with maybe a drop in 1-2 fps. Sometimes the 2500k actually preforms better. Answer these questions and someone here will be able to spec a great build for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Dean Wilson

Thanks Tij, I've updated the original post with those questions.

My current rig, which is three years old now, has an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.67GHz and 8GB of OCZ Platinum DDR2 PC640 RAM, so I wanted a big upgrade on that so that my games run on high graphics as smoothly as possible.

I'd be willing to go with a good i5 if it will do the job and if the i7 is not going to provide a noticeable difference. As for RAM, the prices I've seen are pretty cheap, so I'm happy to fork over for 12 or 16GB, even if they're rarely used.

However, I'm open to compromise! :)

Thanks again, looking forward to reading some more recommendations.

-D

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Item | Price
    Total build cost: €934.56 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 |€195.88
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX |€99.95
    Scythe Mugen 3, für alle Sockel geeignet |€32.99
    8GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800U CL9 |€32.92
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5") |€179.54
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W |€55.55
    BitFenix Merc Beta |€31.61
    Sapphire HD 6970 Dual-Fan 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express |€306.12
    -First of all I just stuck a basic case in there because generally people would have preferences about cases so just pick that for yourself.

-Stuck a nice CPU cooler in there for some good overclocks, the 2500k is very easy to push past 4Ghz and good temps will be kept with that cooler.

-Stuck a nice 128GB SSD in there for the OS and your games.

-The motherboard will be compatiable with Intel's next line of processors and if you have one of those processors the mobo will support PCI-E 3.

-Just went with the 8GB of ram because only 4 is really needed at the moment but since it's so cheap everyone is just opting for the 8.

-Put the 6970 in there because you have the budget for it, it's worth noting that AMD are going to be releasing their 7xxx series in the next month and they will likely bring a lot more power so you could just wait off until then, but as it stands now that rig would max everything out.

-Put this in the basket if you want them to build it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Item | Price
    Total build cost: €934.56 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 |€195.88
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX |€99.95
    Scythe Mugen 3, für alle Sockel geeignet |€32.99
    8GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800U CL9 |€32.92
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5") |€179.54
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W |€55.55
    BitFenix Merc Beta |€31.61
    Sapphire HD 6970 Dual-Fan 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express |€306.12
    -First of all I just stuck a basic case in there because generally people would have preferences about cases so just pick that for yourself.

-Stuck a nice CPU cooler in there for some good overclocks, the 2500k is very easy to push past 4Ghz and good temps will be kept with that cooler.

-Stuck a nice 128GB SSD in there for the OS and your games.

-The motherboard will be compatiable with Intel's next line of processors and if you have one of those processors the mobo will support PCI-E 3.

-Just went with the 8GB of ram because only 4 is really needed at the moment but since it's so cheap everyone is just opting for the 8.

-Put the 6970 in there because you have the budget for it, it's worth noting that AMD are going to be releasing their 7xxx series in the next month and they will likely bring a lot more power so you could just wait off until then, but as it stands now that rig would max everything out.

-Put this in the basket if you want them to build it.

That is very good setup. Op, he is right about i7 and 16gb ram. It useless for gaming.

Though I would suggest this:

Can you use your old gpu for now? As 7series coming out in 1-3 weeks time. By the leak info it looks like a very big step down performance road with 7 series.

If you will be able to do that, you could bump up your psu up to 750w. It might look like overkill, but you newer know. You might decide to Cs or sli in future and for the extra few quid you will have a peace of mind.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Is it better to get one €300 GPU or two €150 ones running SLI/CrossFire?

Any recommendations for good cases with lots of room and lots of fans within say €150 budget? I'm not overly concerned about the aesthetics, mainly want it to be functional and cool.

Won't be able to use old GPU. Unfortunately there's always something better along the way in a month or so, and I don't think I can wait that long.

-D

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestions.

Is it better to get one €300 GPU or two €150 ones running SLI/CrossFire?

Any recommendations for good cases with lots of room and lots of fans within say €150 budget? I'm not overly concerned about the aesthetics, mainly want it to be functional and cool.

Won't be able to use old GPU. Unfortunately there's always something better along the way in a month or so, and I don't think I can wait that long.

-D

i built pc 2 weeks ago and i got myself corsair 500R. i got white one. It looks really great with all fans on and glow light blue color. It comes as standart with 4 Fans. Very very cool case. tempretures inside are awesome. lots of space. for 100eu you cant do any better.

this fella made me to change my mind and get 500R instead of phantom.

GPU is a tricky part. If you can reuse your old GPU atleast for 1-2weeks then do it, as 7 series of ati are just around the corner, if rumors are right it might be even out on 22 of december.

As for SLI/CS and 1 single GPU is an undying debate. I got myself GTX 570, which is great card, but its very expencive. you could get 2x6870 and have waaaay more power then single GTX 570 for same price. Ofc it has a downsides too: CS/SLI has some issues with drivers now and then and if you go single gpu like gtx570 now, then you can add one more later, but with 6870x2 you wont as its already CS.
    short and simple:
    a) Have high power and ability to have sli/CS in future when same card will drop in price and have VERY VERY high power.
    b) Have VERY high power now, but in future you will have to replace both GPUs.

Thanks Shadow.

Do you know if this has the two fans at the top?

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=50915&agid=631

The image shows it with the fans, but the video review says they don't come as standard (and I assume the four fans you mention are two at front, one at back, and one on the side).

If it doesn't come with these fans, do you recommend any from HardwareVersand for the top? I know it might be overkill, but if there's space for them there I'd like to go for it. I assume they'd fit these too if I chose the assembly option?

As for the GPU/s, I'll consider delaying my build for the new 7 series, although I'd prefer to get this built and mailed ASAP. I've ran SLI in the past quite successfully, but I think I might just go with a single top-end card now.

Any recommendations for a good PSU of 700W+, since I'll likely get a second GPU down the line.

-D

Thanks Shadow.

Do you know if this has the two fans at the top?

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=50915&agid=631

The image shows it with the fans, but the video review says they don't come as standard (and I assume the four fans you mention are two at front, one at back, and one on the side).

If it doesn't come with these fans, do you recommend any from HardwareVersand for the top? I know it might be overkill, but if there's space for them there I'd like to go for it. I assume they'd fit these too if I chose the assembly option?

As for the GPU/s, I'll consider delaying my build for the new 7 series, although I'd prefer to get this built and mailed ASAP. I've ran SLI in the past quite successfully, but I think I might just go with a single top-end card now.

Any recommendations for a good PSU of 700W+, since I'll likely get a second GPU down the line.

-D

there is space for two fans on top, but they are not supplied. 4 fans are in places you you mentioned too.

In all fairness, if you will have a GPU with 2 fans, good aftermarket cooler with 2 fans, then 4 fans in case and then 2 more extra on top, then the only thing that will stop it from flying will be a power cable.

all those fans are more then enough, my all system runs on very very cool temperatures. my gpu tempreture on OCed gtx570 does not go above 61 degrees. not on benchmarks, not on 1-2hour BF3 sessions with 99% of load on gpu.

do the biuld and then just wait for GPUs to come out. ( just have some old GPU for now, so you can atleast check the system).

I went for corsair 750w PSU just to have some breathing space in the future. though it is just on the limit for SLI gtx 570. If you do plan on going SLI/CS ( as i can see you did that before ) then something like 750-800e is a good idea. Its better to spend now that extra 10-20eu and buy bigger PSU, then later on buy a new gpu or one more for SLI/CS and realise that you need a new PSU with extra 150w, which will cost another 80-90eu.

though i will give you one advice - if you can, get a modular PSU. It will make your life easyer and it will be way more tidy inside the case.

Thanks - that's 120mm fans at the top, right? I see they're around €5 each, so I'm happy to throw those in too.

I looked at some 800W PSUs and found this modular one:

Super-Flower Crown Modular 800W
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28046&agid=1630

I heard people saying don't go for any non-Amazon Super-Flower PSUs though - is there any truth in that?

There's this one too, but I don't believe it's modular.

Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 800W
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?adp=0&aid=30071&agid=1630&apop=0

Would I be better off getting the Corsair 750w instead of either of these? I noticed the Corsair one has 5 years warranty - do you know what kind of warranty the Super-Flower ones have?

Do modular PSUs still supply cables that you can slot when needed?

-D

Thanks - that's 120mm fans at the top, right? I see they're around €5 each, so I'm happy to throw those in too.

I looked at some 800W PSUs and found this modular one:

Super-Flower Crown Modular 800W
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28046&agid=1630

I heard people saying don't go for any non-Amazon Super-Flower PSUs though - is there any truth in that?

There's this one too, but I don't believe it's modular.

Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 800W
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?adp=0&aid=30071&agid=1630&apop=0

Would I be better off getting the Corsair 750w instead of either of these? I noticed the Corsair one has 5 years warranty - do you know what kind of warranty the Super-Flower ones have?

Do modular PSUs still supply cables that you can slot when needed?

-D

I might sound like a total Corsair fanboy, becaue i got:
    corsair 500R Case
    corsair A70 CPU cooler
    corsair SSD 60gb
    corsair PSU 750w
    corsair vengeance ddr3 RAM 8gb

only after i ordered all this stuff i realised that i got all corsair lol. Alot of people recommend those, and all of the high end machines usually use Corsair stuff.

you better wait for advice from others on PSU, though i really dont think you can go wrong with Corsair ones.

• Advertisement

Thanks again.

One more question (unlikely to be my last though :P):

I'm considering a GTX 570 over the HD 6970, primarily because I'm concerned about driver problems with AMD long-term if I decide to go SLI/CrossFire. Are my concerns unjustified? Any recommendations for the GTX 570?

If I wait for the 7xxx series, however, do you think they'll be in the €300 bracket, and do you think the 6970 will drop considerably in price (i.e. €100ish) immediately?

-D

Thanks again.

One more question (unlikely to be my last though :P):

I'm considering a GTX 570 over the HD 6970, primarily because I'm concerned about driver problems with AMD long-term if I decide to go SLI/CrossFire. Are my concerns unjustified? Any recommendations for the GTX 570?

If I wait for the 7xxx series, however, do you think they'll be in the €300 bracket, and do you think the 6970 will drop considerably in price (i.e. €100ish) immediately?

-D

well, i dont want to be smart here, but i did some research: i licked my finger and put it up as high as i could, after few seconds i still did not got those prices on 7 series GPUs :(.

No one really knows m8, its a gamble: do i buy this gen, or wait, what price it will be etc. It has to be your own choice now. aither wait or get this gen.

though there are not very big leaps in performance with new gens these days. i had my 8800gt up untill i jumped to 6870, the reason i did go for jump was witcher 2 ( it was the only game that showed my GPUs real age!) so i skiped 2-4 generations and managed to play all games on very high level. i pretty sure that people with current high end gpus, wount bother with 7 series.

i was in same spot as you now: GTX570 vs 6970.

i did go for gtx570 as it was a wee bit cheaper for same performance.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/31280mb-asus-gtx-570-directcu-ii-40nm-3800mhz-gddr5-gpu-742mhz-480-cores-2x-dl-dvi-i-dp-hdmi ( my actual card, the fat bastard as i call it )

i dont need 2gb memory as i wont use it out on my 1080p anyway. Its your own choice here too. By no means i am fan boy of NVIDIA VS ATI, i am a fanboy of GPU VS GPU.

Nvidia has a strong support with developers and drivers, but often got some very very faulty cards out.

ATI has decent gpus for very reasonable price, but lack of software support makes it ARSE.

Its your call, what you prefer more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

7970 is going to be around $700 so probably about €550 and it normally takes a couple of months before current gpu prices fall

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD-ATI-Radeon-HD-7000-GPU,14253.html

7970 is going to be around $700 so probably about €550 and it normally takes a couple of months before current gpu prices fall

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD-ATI-Radeon-HD-7000-GPU,14253.html

550eu for GPU, ouch... no ty :D

Advertisement