Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What phone to get?

Options
  • 18-12-2011 5:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

So I am getting a new phone for Xmas from the better half but I have no idea what to get!! I am currently sporting the pink Sony Eircsson w910i and have done for nearly 3 years :(

What features are important to you in a phone? Not sure really. As things change my usage changes. I used get the bus which made fm radio very important but no so much now. I am currently doing delivery driving so a gps/Sat Nav would be great but may not have that work after xmas. I dont use my current piece of crap for anything other than texts and the odd call(free any network texts) so I dont yet know the capability's of a new phone. I would like to use it for internet browsing like emails, boards, adverts but If video was a big step up i could do without youtube no bother.
    Form factor - no prefference
    Internet - both 3g and wifi pease
    Operator - no preference. currently pay as I go meteor
    Pre-pay/Bill-pay/SIM-Free - has to be pre pay
    Price range €150

I would be willing to up the budget a bit if the phone could potentially replace a laptop? is this just crazy talk? I have my eye on some 2nd hand Samsung Galaxy Ace's for under the €150 mark. How would this shape up?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long winded post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

MRTULES wrote: »
    So I am getting a new phone for Xmas from the better half but I have no idea what to get!! I am currently sporting the pink Sony Eircsson w910i and have done for nearly 3 years :(

What features are important to you in a phone? Not sure really. As things change my usage changes. I used get the bus which made fm radio very important but no so much now. I am currently doing delivery driving so a gps/Sat Nav would be great but may not have that work after xmas. I dont use my current piece of crap for anything other than texts and the odd call(free any network texts) so I dont yet know the capability's of a new phone. I would like to use it for internet browsing like emails, boards, adverts but If video was a big step up i could do without youtube no bother.
    Form factor - no prefference
    Internet - both 3g and wifi pease
    Operator - no preference. currently pay as I go meteor
    Pre-pay/Bill-pay/SIM-Free - has to be pre pay
    Price range €150

I would be willing to up the budget a bit if the phone could potentially replace a laptop? is this just crazy talk? I have my eye on some 2nd hand Samsung Galaxy Ace's for under the €150 mark. How would this shape up?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long winded post

It's not crazy talk but it would depend on what you used the laptop for. You'll be fine with any smartphone if you're just browsing and checking emails. Youtube might be a bit more of a problem depending on how big the screen is. The Galaxy Ace has a 3.5" screen so browsing and emails would be no problem at all. It's also got the SWYPE keyboard which makes writing emails/texts SO much easier than with a standard keyboard. If you can get it for under €150 secondhand, that's a pretty good deal. I'd just be careful of making sure that there's nothing wrong with the phone.

You can also consider the Samsung Galaxy Y. It's a smaller screen at only 3" and the resolution is a bit lower so watching Youtube on it might not be the best quality but it would still be decent enough. Reading emails wouldn't be a problem though I wouldn't want to be typing out long emails on it. Other than that, it ticks all the boxes, both 3G and wifi, radio, bluetooth, expandable memory, built-in handsfree. I think you should be able to get Latitude on it from the android market so you could also use it as a GPS, but don't quote me on that. Best of all, it's only €130 brand new from meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Where would a Nexus S rank here? Or the Galaxy W?
    What are the major benefits of either of these 2 over say a Galaxy Y?

Advertisement