Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dartmouth Square Locked?

Options
  • 18-12-2011 10:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

This might be a stupid question but, does anyone know why all of the park's gates are now chained up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

I think it's privately owned by a bit of a nut job, does what ever he wants with it, was going to turn it into a car park a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

Robdude wrote: »
    This might be a stupid question but, does anyone know why all of the park's gates are now chained up?
    It was bought by someone from Athlone:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dartmouth_Square

He's had some odd ideas about what he can do with it:
    http://www.herald.ie/news/ogara-i-dont-need-planning-permission-1413864.html

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

I was pretty sure that the Council were going to get it back. After all the various legal proceedings, the company that owned the park owed the council money in fines etc. and the only asset in that particular company (owned by O'Gara) was the park itself. I seem to remember some of the local councilors sending out circulars saying that the council were going to get the park in lieu of fines and legal costs. But this was a while back and the park still seems closed (and my memory is a bit hazy). If anyone knows the latest information I'd love an update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

Thanks for the posts everyone. Just a heads up for anyone reading this; the square seems to be open again.

*shrugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭nutball

The deal between a resident and Noel O'Gara that's mentioned at the end of that Wikipedia article is still going strong. They've had yoga classes there every Saturday morning from roughly spring till October/November for the last couple of years and other events like picnics and outdoor films etc. - but I think it's otherwise kept locked a lot of the time. Facebook page.

• Advertisement
Advertisement