Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what are your christmas day traditions?

Options
  • 18-12-2011 11:27am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We have decided to break from the usually family traditions this year and are going to have dinner at home. there is only the 3 of us, me, hubby and our 6yr old boy. I'm a bit worried that its just going to feel like an ordinary sunday dinner.
    Looking for some inspiration to make it special and to create our own traditions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

We have 4 kids aged between 9 and 17. They come into us in the morning with their stockings and open them on our bed. They then head downstairs to see what Santy brought them.
    My hubby and the 2 eldest lads then do the Xmas morning swim in Salthill for charity. We all leave and visit my parents where we meet from 12-3 o'clock with my whole family. Loads of presents swapping and fun if a little manic at times!!
    We return home for 3.30pm, eat a slow dinner over 2 hours and then we settle in front of the telly and open gifts that we have from friends and gifts for each other from under the tree.....

Lovely day and excactly how we do it every year:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

There's always just ourselves and one grandparent here on Christmas day.

To make sure Christmas dinner is different that a regular dinner I make sure the table is nicely decorated with candles and flowers... and get the kids helping of course :) The best crockery, cutlery and glasses are used... and they help putting them out with extra care... it all adds a sense of occasion. Dinner will be a long drawn out affair with christmasy background music, plenty of chat, wine (for me;)), xmas crackers and might end up with some instruments being played and songs being sung and everyone in high spirits. Weather permitting we'll all go out for a walk then and after than we'll just lounge around in front of the fire, playing games, watching Christmasy movies etc.
    I can't wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

All pretty much grown up now so no Santa (aww....)

But some things remain the same....no TV on the day, lovely long walk through woods & fields after lunch (last year in the snow was spectacular!), pudding, tea, cake, mince pies etc., in the early evening. Friends/family call in the evening so lots of board games, card games etc.,.

Best of all, once the cooking is done on Christmas Day I down tools for the next couple of days! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

A mate of mine heads to his mothers every Christmas where she has a Black Russian cocktail and a jar of gherkins ready for him. Black Russians all day and the pickles and that is my friends idea of a blissful xmas day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

This is our first christmas with our son and I can't wait to have some traditions. I know he's too young this year but I'm so excited about having little things we do every year as a family whether it's watching all the Christmas films on tv (my favourite thing to do!) to Santa!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Dinner at (my) in-laws down the road. Kids playing with Santa stuff. Blissful peace for myself and my wife as the kids are very distracted for a few hours... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Cook the ham christtmas eve, following day, Once the wrapping is tidied & everyone is dressed, we take a family photo in front of the tree, this is printed off on Stephens day & hung on the tree in a newbridge silver "tree" frame. Have them from our first together.

Then visit the parents before dinner in the other ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Ours is a pretty hectic day, my step-son's dad stays over with us on Christmas Eve so he can be with him to see what presents Santa has brought in the morning (usually results in a bit of a session that night too :)). Then down to his parents place for 11 or so, my partner's Aunt's house at around 2, her parents at 3ish for dinner then on the road to Galway and my mother's house in time for tea at about half 7 or 8.

Little traditions we have that I like:
    myself and o/h watch 'A Wonderful Life' Christmas Eve (started as a tradition between a 3 year old me watching it with my father at Christmas and I plan to include the kids to it as soon as I can get them to sit in front of a B&W movie!).
    Bing Crosby's White Christmas has to be playing on the stereo when presents are being opened in our house (again, a tradition taken from my childhood).
    Other half gets one new "good" decoration for the tree every year, a tradition inherited from her father.
    Christmas drinks with the neighbours in my mother's house on Christmas night (well, they were our neighbours when the tradition started, now they're more visiting friends since my mum moved house!)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

This is our 1st christmas at home and I am so excited.
    No idea what our traditions will be yet!
    We are going to the in laws on Stephens day.

Advertisement