Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cow threw calve

• 18-12-2011 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭

a cow threw here calve that due to calve in early feb, i wonder is there a injection that can be got to bring her to her milk, she ok healthwise just got bet in the cubicles fri by a bully of a cow

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

case 5150 wrote: »
    a cow threw here calve that due to calve in early feb, i wonder is there a injection that can be got to bring her to her milk, she ok healthwise just got bet in the cubicles fri by a bully of a cow

I assume these are dairy cows?
    I doubt there's an injection, but i don't know...If there was would farmers not just inject cows with this instead of putting them in calf atall?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

I assume these are dairy cows?
    I doubt there's an injection, but i don't know...If there was would farmers not just inject cows with this instead of putting them in calf atall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

you have 2 choices, leave her dry and fatten her or feed her well with dairy nuts and milk her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

You may want to get her blood tested by a vet to be on the safe side just in case any thing like BVD or salmonella or such was a factor. AFAIK you still have to do that anyway if a cow aborts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭case 5150

think your right 5live, have her quartained at the minute but i let her in the cubicles fri eve and a b...h of a bully was pucking her up against the back wall so i say that triggered it, joys of farming sur

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Life's a b***h alright. I had a cow go very lame suddenly last month. Her back leg swelled up like a balloon between morning and evening so called the vet. He pared the leg but couldnt find anything so he gave her antibiotics, big time. A bottle a day. The leg still was swelled after a week so i tried another 2 vets and still no reduction in swelling so the first vet took off the outside claw and the swelling started to go down the next day. The day after that, she aborted. I thought it was the stress, drugs and hassle but did a blood on her.

BVD:eek::eek::eek:.

No idea where it came from but p****d off now about the cows exposed to her if she was shedding it in the sheds. Closed herd here but always better to be safe as far as abortions go i think.

Hopefully it was only a hurt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭Conflats

If she was springing try some oxytocin to stimulate milk letdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

i had a heifer in july who did the same. she was only 5months gone. brought her home milked her. she had no udder. shes doing around 34litres a day at the minute. looking great

tested her for everything and she was clear

worth spending a bit of time with her

she was a first calver and gave little or no milk for a couple of days

what did you do stanflt jst feed her nd milked her and did you wait for test results to come back before you milked her. this s a second calver and her mother was a smashing milker ave 1700 gls in her 3rd lactation

what did you do stanflt jst feed her nd milked her and did you wait for test results to come back before you milked her. this s a second calver and her mother was a smashing milker ave 1700 gls in her 3rd lactation

just feed her and milked and left her on her own till i got results of the SECOND blood test-bloody dept

• Advertisement

that second blood test is a department money racket! we too have a real bully cow that headbutts all around her and think she is respaonible for the one or 2 we do have that throw their calves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

When you say "throw the calves", do you mean you actually see the aborted fetus, or do you just see them come bulling again. I've had a few heifers come bulling that I thought were long in calf. I think it's down to bullying too, but not sure. I've tested free for BVD.

pakalasa wrote: »
    When you say "throw the calves", do you mean you actually see the aborted fetus, or do you just see them come bulling again. I've had a few heifers come bulling that I thought were long in calf. I think it's down to bullying too, but not sure. I've tested free for BVD.

didnt see a fetus just blood on her

i saw the calf:mad:

saw the calf

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

that second blood test is a department money racket!

The gold standard method to diagnose a causal relationship between serology and an event (abortion, resp. disease, scouring) is to demonstrate a rising antibiotic titre. Otherwise the evidence of the first sample is to merely demonstrate exposure at some time in the past.

If an aborting animal has titres on the day of abortion to both salmonella and lepto where do you go? It could be one or both that's responsible. If 2-3 weeks later the salmonella antibody titres have gone up massively but the lepto titres are the same (give or take) then it's obvious which one can be blamed and which vaccine to use.

Similarly with Brucellosis, there may be no titre on the first sampling but 2-3 weeks later there may be.

With the reduction in blood testing being done these days it's more important to have aborted animals checked out. While the levels of Brucellosis are virtually zero it hasn't changed it's ability to cause devastation were it to be present.
    It's also zoonotic, ask any of the older generation of vets. It manifests its symptoms when you are already at your lowest ebb- working like hell over the Spring. You don't want to take chances with it.

It also gives a chance to investigate others causes too.

It's often quite rational to assume a hurt but you only have to be wrong once with any of the abortion causing agents to be in trouble

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

I fully understand the reasoning behind the second blood test, i just dont understand why a dept vet has to do it, a bit like the checking of twin calves

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

They don't always. Sometimes the job is given to the herdowners vet to do. Department carries the cost in either event.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

the last few i had it was the dept vet, my vet was giving out about it as the dept vet was coming an hour drive to my farm to do a blood sample

Advertisement