Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st year GPA

Options
  • 18-12-2011 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm a first year vet nursing student who's plan is to go on post grad to veterinary medicine. As I understand it I'll need to be getting excellent grades to have a hope. I was wondering does anyone know does GPA count from 1st year on or is from 2nd year onwards, or is there anywhere to have a look at the grading system. Thanks :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

depends on the course i know with my course food science our degree gpa only includes our 3rd and 4th year

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

I think you only need a 2.2H- the real determinant of acceptance to grad vet is the GAMSAT exam as far as I know, although I imagine getting better than a 2.2 might help a bit. Not sure of the cumulative bit though- it might tell you somewhere on the VN course description website- or ask Andrea.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 icicle2000

Usually it's only the last 2 years of your degree that count.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Wisco wrote: »
    I think you only need a 2.2H- the real determinant of acceptance to grad vet is the GAMSAT exam as far as I know, although I imagine getting better than a 2.2 might help a bit. Not sure of the cumulative bit though- it might tell you somewhere on the VN course description website- or ask Andrea.

The higher the qualification you get the better it is for your application. 2.2 -> 2.1 -> 1st -> Masters -> Phd.

OP, your first year results won't be important to the direct application, but doing well in first year will give you a good basis for your final years. What will count is your final GPA, and having done relevant modules helps. I'm not sure what years count towards your final GPA, but it is most probably your last year or your last two years. Any of your lecturers, or the programmes office, should know if you can't find it online.

I'm not sure what you mean by the grading system? For your grades, or for the application?

Grade descriptor: http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/student_info/explanationofmodulargradedescriptors.pdf

Application process for GV: https://myucd.ucd.ie/admission/vet.ezc

Advertisement