Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Books

• 18-12-2011 1:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭

I want to get a book on Waterford hurling for someone and I'm looking for recommendations.

One book that I was thinking of getting is The Agony and the Ecstasy: The Real Story Behind Waterford Hurling – Damien Tiernan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

deisemum wrote: »
    I want to get a book on Waterford hurling for someone and I'm looking for recommendations.

One book that I was thinking of getting is The Agony and the Ecstasy: The Real Story Behind Waterford Hurling – Damien Tiernan.

I thought this thread was going to be about auditing the GAA spending! lmao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭deisemum

chelloveks wrote: »
    I thought this thread was going to be about auditing the GAA spending! lmao

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

It's a good read that book.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

don't look any further, the agony and the ecstasy is the book for you!

Anyone know where I can get this book, I've tried the Book Centre, Scribes and they don't have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Anyone know where I can get this book, I've tried the Book Centre, Scribes and they don't have it.
    Strange the book centre don't have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Porters (or whatever it's called these days) in city square might be worth a look.

STIG83 wrote: »
    Strange the book centre don't have it.

They've sold out and it's also out of stock with their suppliers. I'm waiting on a call back from Easons in Dungarvan.

ziedth wrote: »
    Porters (or whatever it's called these days) in city square might be worth a look.

A neighbour is going to check there for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

You could contact Damien Tiernan from RTE on Twitter or something like that. He just might have a copy lying around or know where it may be available.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

nkay1985 wrote: »
    You could contact Damien Tiernan from RTE on Twitter or something like that. He just might have a copy lying around or know where it may be available.

Brill idea he might sign it for you. I bought a copy for my o/h for his birthday and my aunt got it signed for me :D....

nkay1985 wrote: »

I've just tweeted him, it's not in Books & Things (Porters). I've phoned Easons in Dungarvan a couple of times today and they haven't phoned me back, not impressed with their poor customer service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I've just tweeted him, it's not in Books & Things (Porters). I've phoned Easons in Dungarvan a couple of times today and they haven't phoned me back, not impressed with their poor customer service.

It might be a long shot but no harm in trying, I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I know a girl that works there, if you can't contact them let me know k? I'll Facebook her.

ziedth wrote: »
    I know a girl that works there, if you can't contact them let me know k? I'll Facebook her.

Thanks, I've had a call back and their system says it's in stock but they're trying to locate it. If I haven't heard back by 8pm then it means they don't have it.

This must be some book as it's out of stock anywhere I've tried. There are a couple of copies at the printers in the UK but they wont be here before christmas.

Sorted, thanks to all who recommended it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/mhgbkfojid/

Waterford - The Wonder Years - The perfect gift for all Déise GAA fans

Waterford - The Wonder Years, a unique photographic retrospective which encompasses an unforgettable era in Waterford hurling (2002-2011), has just been published.
    Aimed at the Christmas market, with proceeds going to support the county’s GAA teams’ campaigns next season, the book will be launched on Thursday, December 1st at 6.30pm in Eason at Dungarvan Shopping Centre. Some famous hurling personalities will be present to sign copies, and all are welcome on the evening.
    A limited edition, the 76-page full-colour publication was pieced together by collaborators, photographer Michael Kiely and journalist Jamie O’Keeffe, over the past number of months. It has been produced in association with Club Déise, the official Waterford GAA Supporters Club, and printed by Intacta Print, Water-ford.
    Featuring more than 200 of Michael’s photos, The Wonder Years is bookended by the arrival of Justin McCarthy and the departure of Davy Fitzgerald, whose tenures overlapped. It also starts with the 2002 Munster final breakthrough, and covers, towards the close, this year’s harrowing reverse against Tipperary; crystallising, perhaps, Waterford’s capacity to confound for better or worse.
    Michael explains: “It’s something I’d been thinking of doing for a while, knowing there were so many stand-out pictures of both delight and the despair from that particular period. The Waterford players have always worn their heart on their sleeve which makes them ideal subjects. You can’t fake passion, or create it in a studio. It’s all out there on the field – and of course behind the wire too.”
    Jamie, who compiled and worded the book, adds: “The only problem we had was deciding which pictures to leave out, there were so many that could have made the cut. The name was the first thing that came to me: the wonderful flamboyant way Waterford played the game, and also how you can’t help but wonder what might have been.”
    Having followed the hurlers’ fortunes from a supporter’s perspective, as well as a journalist’s (having worked with the Dungarvan Observer and The Munster Express) over the past 18 years, conveying the excitement and anguish Water-ford generated was made easy, the Butlerstown man says, thanks to Michael’s skilled photography.
    “Pictures like Michael’s are literally worth a thousand words. Win or lose, he is always on-the-button action and emotion-wise. He just has an eye for the memorable moment. All the camera technology in the world can’t show you how to click at that priceless split second. But then he had a great teacher.”
    The Kiely name is synonymous with photography in Waterford. Michael’s father John, who sadly passed away recently, was one of the top sport and news photographers in the county for decades from his base in Kilmacthomas. Michael, who always took an avid interest in the art of taking pictures, has continued to keep the family byline to the fore since the late nineties, working out of his home studio in the Ring Gaeltacht.
    “It goes without saying that, but for the players, there wouldn’t be a picture worth taking,” Michael says. “As Jamie has often written, we will never see their likes again, certain-ly on the one team. Ken McGrath, Paul Flynn, Tony Browne, Dan, John Mullane, ‘Brick’ Walsh, Eoin Kelly – so much talent, and from a photographer’s point of view, great charisma too. Not to mention the strong supporting cast the headliners have benefited from. “Hopeful-ly the book will be something the lads can look back on in years to come, not just fans, which we are ourselves, first and foremost.”
    Proceeds from sales of The Wonder Years will help support Waterford’s GAA teams in 2012, which will mark the start of another exciting phase for the county’s hurlers under Michael Ryan and his senior management team.
    Thanking all those who helped to bring the project to fruition, including its business sponsors, Karen Dempsey of Club Déise feels The Wonder Years is “some-thing special that will stand the test of time. There are great memories on every page: people, places and moments in time that made an indelible mark on us all. It’s an ideal Christmas gift and a lovely keep-sake. We’re delighted that it’s been received so positively by the players, present and past, for whom it’s also a fitting record of all they’ve achieved in the white & blue.” See Facebook/TheWonderYears for updates on stockists, etc, and also ClubDeise.com – become a member now and support.
    * The Wonder Years, priced at €15.00, is available as of December 1st from local stockists, including the following, and through Club Déise sales agents: Eason, Dungarvan Shopping Centre; David Walsh Stationary Shop, Lower Main St; Ger Wyley, Sportswear, Dungarvan; Albert McGrath, Newsagents, Grattan Square, Dungarvan; Quinn’s, Ardmore; McGraths, Lismore; The Book Centre, Waterford; Dick’s Centra, Farran Park, Waterford; Harvey Travel, Gladstone Street, Waterford; Centra, The Quay, Waterford; and McGraths, Abbey Park, Ferrybank, amongst others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

If up west, try Pat Whyte in Eason in Dungarvan Shopping Centre. If anyone can get what you are looking for its Pat. He's sell oil to the Arabs.

Black Suir wrote: »
    If up west, try Pat Whyte in Eason in Dungarvan Shopping Centre. If anyone can get what you are looking for its Pat. He's sell oil to the Arabs.

They haven't got it and they searched, it's gone out of print but there are a couple of copies in the UK. I managed to source one and should have it later today thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement