Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telescopes

Options
  • 18-12-2011 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi Stargazers!
    I want a telescope for Christmas. I never had one (apart from one a few years ago from Smyths that never worked at all). I have a budget of up to 250 euro. I was looking at this one on Argos http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5800425/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CPhotography%7C14419436/c_2/3%7Ccat_15701386%7CTelescopes%7C14419507.htm
    However, I found the Celestron130eq on Amazon which would work out cheaper (hopefully it would arrive on time for Christmas). I am really undecided. In reality, I would prefer to buy from a store in Ireland but the prices online seem so much better.
    Which of these two would you go for? Or is there a better model I don't know of? I want to see the moon very clearly and I want to see the rings around some of the planets and if I go out to the mountains, I would love to zoom into things in the surrounding area.

Thank you so so much! Astronomy is so interesting! I've always wanted a telescope and can't wait to get started. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Hi Stargazers!
    I want a telescope for Christmas. I never had one (apart from one a few years ago from Smyths that never worked at all). I have a budget of up to 250 euro. I was looking at this one on Argos http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5800425/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CPhotography%7C14419436/c_2/3%7Ccat_15701386%7CTelescopes%7C14419507.htm
    However, I found the Celestron130eq on Amazon which would work out cheaper (hopefully it would arrive on time for Christmas). I am really undecided. In reality, I would prefer to buy from a store in Ireland but the prices online seem so much better.
    Which of these two would you go for? Or is there a better model I don't know of? I want to see the moon very clearly and I want to see the rings around some of the planets and if I go out to the mountains, I would love to zoom into things in the surrounding area.

Thank you so so much! Astronomy is so interesting! I've always wanted a telescope and can't wait to get started. :)

You havent provided a link to the one on amazon, is this the one you are referring to:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-31045-Astromaster-130EQ/dp/tech-data/B000MLL6RS/ref=de_a_smtd which does state that delivery is not possible before christmas

Im not sure why there is such a price difference, you would think the difference would be the mount but from what i can read on both sites its the cheaper one on amazon that may have the better mount.
    The powerseeker on argos is listed with and quote "Aluminium tripod with accessory tray" where as the astromancer on amazon is listed as having and quote "Rugged pre-assembled tripod with 1.25" steel tube legs"

The astromancer on amazon does not seem to be listed with a barlow lens which seems a little odd and may reflect the price difference but buying one seperately would still work out cheaper than argos's price
    It comes with a 20mm and a 10mm eyepiece, since its a short tube it has a shorter focal length than the powerseeker @ 650mm which gives you resulting magnifications of:

650mm / 20mm = 32.5x
    650mm / 10 mm = 65x
    The maximum mag you can hope to use with the astromancer would be twice its aperture which is 130mm x2 = 260x So a 2x and a 3x barlow could go very nicely with this telescope and even the additional 5mm would round everything out perfectly.

The powerseeker from argos comes with a 4mm, 20mm and a 3x barlow so at its 1000mm focal length its resulting magnifications are:

1000mm / 4mm = 250x and with 3x barlow = 750x :eek:
    1000mm / 20mm = 50x and with 3x barlow = 150x
    The maximum mag you can hope to use with the powerweeker would be twice its aperture which is 127mm x2 = 254x

Which from above as you can see the practical eyepieces you will use will be the 20mm on its own and the 20mm with the barlow. unfortunately the 4mm is just too close and may be difficult to bring into focus on all but brilliantly clear nights. and the 4mm paired with the 3x barlow is just ridiculous.

I am not familiar with either of these models but if i had to choose i would go with the astromancer its focal ratio seems more oriented to wide fields and deep space astrophotography and the promise of a sturdier mount

The focal ratio describes the ratio of how long it is to how wide the telescope optical tube assembly (OTA) is. You can get the focal ratio by dividing its focal length by its aperture

The Powerseeker 1000mm/ 127mm = f/7.8

The Astromancer 650mm/ 130mm = f/5

The astromancer has very fast optics making it ideal for deep space photography and those nice wide field views but may be subject to some abberation on the outer edge of your field of view, see Coma for more info. However there isnt that much of a difference between them as i wouldn't consider the powerseeker @ f/7 to be slow either but it would be more suitable for planetary and lunar observations however a refractor type telescope would be a better selection if that was your preference and collimation is something you dont have to worry about with refractors also

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭disco girl

Speaking of buying in Ireland, have you checked out these, free delivery too.

A 150mm -

http://www.ktectelescopes.ie/Starter-Telescopes/Astro-Professional-Zeus.html

a 127mm, similar to the Argos one you linked, but better priced -

http://www.ktectelescopes.ie/Starter-Telescopes/Astro-Professional-Centaurus.html

or this, a decent 90mm refractor -

http://www.ktectelescopes.ie/Starter-Telescopes/Astro-Professional-Jupiter.html

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Veterinary Student

slade_x wrote: »
    You havent provided a link to the one on amazon, is this the one you are referring to:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-31045-Astromaster-130EQ/dp/tech-data/B000MLL6RS/ref=de_a_smtd which does state that delivery is not possible before christmas

Im not sure why there is such a price difference, you would think the difference would be the mount but from what i can read on both sites its the cheaper one on amazon that may have the better mount.
    The powerseeker on argos is listed with and quote "Aluminium tripod with accessory tray" where as the astromancer on amazon is listed as having and quote "Rugged pre-assembled tripod with 1.25" steel tube legs"

The astromancer on amazon does not seem to be listed with a barlow lens which seems a little odd and may reflect the price difference but buying one seperately would still work out cheaper than argos's price
    It comes with a 20mm and a 10mm eyepiece, since its a short tube it has a shorter focal length than the powerseeker @ 650mm which gives you resulting magnifications of:

650mm / 20mm = 32.5x
    650mm / 10 mm = 65x
    The maximum mag you can hope to use with the astromancer would be twice its aperture which is 130mm x2 = 260x So a 2x and a 3x barlow could go very nicely with this telescope and even the additional 5mm would round everything out perfectly.

The powerseeker from argos comes with a 4mm, 20mm and a 3x barlow so at its 1000mm focal length its resulting magnifications are:

1000mm / 4mm = 250x and with 3x barlow = 750x :eek:
    1000mm / 20mm = 50x and with 3x barlow = 150x
    The maximum mag you can hope to use with the powerweeker would be twice its aperture which is 127mm x2 = 254x

Which from above as you can see the practical eyepieces you will use will be the 20mm on its own and the 20mm with the barlow. unfortunately the 4mm is just too close and may be difficult to bring into focus on all but brilliantly clear nights. and the 4mm paired with the 3x barlow is just ridiculous.

I am not familiar with either of these models but if i had to choose i would go with the astromancer its focal ratio seems more oriented to wide fields and deep space astrophotography and the promise of a sturdier mount

The focal ratio describes the ratio of how long it is to how wide the telescope optical tube assembly (OTA) is. You can get the focal ratio by dividing its focal length by its aperture

The Powerseeker 1000mm/ 127mm = f/7.8

The Astromancer 650mm/ 130mm = f/5

The astromancer has very fast optics making it ideal for deep space photography and those nice wide field views but may be subject to some abberation on the outer edge of your field of view, see Coma for more info. However there isnt that much of a difference between them as i wouldn't consider the powerseeker @ f/7 to be slow either but it would be more suitable for planetary and lunar observations however a refractor type telescope would be a better selection if that was your preference and collimation is something you dont have to worry about with refractors also

Oh thank you so much!!!!!!!! Your above reply is so comprehensive! Thank you! This was the one I was referring to above http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-Astromaster-130EQ-MD-Motor-Drive/dp/B0013Z42AK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1324237599&sr=8-2
    The only difference I can see is that this one includes a motor drive which might or may not come in handy. Some people said in the reviews that it wasn't of much use!
    However, you mentioned a refractor telescope and that would be much better as I have no idea how to collimate a telescope, so it would be much better!

I'm really undecided though now to be honest. I know if I'm going with the telescope that I'll get the refractor type you mentioned. However, I'm wondering now if astronomy binoculars ( a good pair) might be of more use to me. I'd like to be able to go to the mountains and see perfect close ups around, but I'd also like to see Jupiter and the moon, etc. I don't know if I'm asking too much. I was thinking that if a telescope has the images upside down then it wouldn't be much good for the countryside but it would probably be better for stargazing!

Anyway, if you could help me with the above I would be so grateful! I know if I'm going for a telescope I'll get the refractor type you mentioned. Thank you so so much for all your help! I really have no real knowledge of scopes so your advice is very helpful!

disco girl wrote: »
    Speaking of buying in Ireland, have you checked out these, free delivery too.

A 150mm -

http://www.ktectelescopes.ie/Starter-Telescopes/Astro-Professional-Zeus.html

a 127mm, similar to the Argos one you linked, but better priced -

http://www.ktectelescopes.ie/Starter-Telescopes/Astro-Professional-Centaurus.html

or this, a decent 90mm refractor -

http://www.ktectelescopes.ie/Starter-Telescopes/Astro-Professional-Jupiter.html

:D

Thank you Disco Girl for those links! I haven't checked that site before!! I'm going to have a good look now. There is such a range out there _ it makes it so hard to choose!!

Hi guys!
    I was talking to a man from Astronomy.ie today (he was so nice). I was going to buy the 25 x 100 Celestron binoculars (€299) but the tripod was €300 so he said at that price you might as well buy the Celestron Nexstar 4se which would be better. The reason I had gone for the binoculars was because I thought they would be better than a telescope for that price but now I have had time to think about it, I would be willing to invest.

There are just a few questions that I would like to ask you experts first! I want to use the telescope for plane spotting as well. Will this be suitable with the nexstar? Also, can I use the telescope in a manual way without using a computer ( i.e. can I use it like a normal telescope as well). Just on last question! Can I use my digital camera (with the T-adapter and Canon ring) for astrophotography? I saw review for the Meximage and they weren't great but would it be better than my Canon (which was a very expensive camera)?

Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

Its a goto telescope so it isnt ideal for plane spotting. Plus you would need an erecting eyepiece to make the image upright.

As well as that, the single arm goto mounts such as the 4se arent designed for manual use at all.

I reckon you are better off with a good pair of binoculars if you want to be able to switch between the two.

Or a spotting scope, which is what I started out with 25 years ago :D

As for the astrophotography it would be possible in short exposures if the scope is aligned well, but for proper long exposures you are better off getting a scope on an equatorial mount.

Confusing isnt it!!

Kersh wrote: »
    Its a goto telescope so it isnt ideal for plane spotting. Plus you would need an erecting eyepiece to make the image upright.

As well as that, the single arm goto mounts such as the 4se arent designed for manual use at all.

I reckon you are better off with a good pair of binoculars if you want to be able to switch between the two.

Or a spotting scope, which is what I started out with 25 years ago :D

As for the astrophotography it would be possible in short exposures if the scope is aligned well, but for proper long exposures you are better off getting a scope on an equatorial mount.

Confusing isnt it!!

Thank you so much for your reply!

Haha, yes it is very confusing! I'm only starting out in astronomy but I want to get a good look at the universe!! I want to see detail in the moon, star clusters, a good view of the planets etc but I'd also like to you it for terrestrial use as well! If you were me, and wanted a good investment, what would you choose? I was going for binoculars but then thought that they may not show the detail the telescope can and the man on the phone said that a telescope would be better at that price.

I'm so undecided! Thank you for all your help!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Kersh wrote: »

I would also like to add something i neglected to mention; in the description of both telescopes linked to amazon they both describe "Erect image optics - Ideal for terrestrial and astronomical use"

Advertisement