Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't find no suet in this one-horse town - alternatives?

Options
  • 18-12-2011 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭

I'm making this today:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1094662/pork-goulash-with-herby-dumplings

As you can see, the recipe calls for suet. So off I toddled to the supermarket expecting to find this:

http://tinyurl.com/cps4v5v

But all I could find was this:

http://tinyurl.com/bpbyymy

I tried another supermarket but it was the same story. I didn't buy it because I tend to avoid reduced-fat rubbish.

I know a butcher might have it but as it's Sunday they are all closed in my hometown. I have defrosted the pork fillet so want to cook it today.

Is there any I could substitute for suet that would work well?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You should be able to get lard in most Tescos - by the butter and marg.
    I reckon that would work pretty well and, if you're stuck, butter would probably be different but good all the same.
    It's all fat after all but I think suet has a bit more texture when melted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭AstridBean

You should be able to get lard in most Tescos - by the butter and marg.
    I reckon that would work pretty well and, if you're stuck, butter would probably be different but good all the same.
    It's all fat after all but I think suet has a bit more texture when melted.

Damn, never thought of lard and I'm home now. (No Tesco in my one-horse town either - think Super Valu and Londis ;) ) Reckon Tesco would have the Atora stuff.

I'm going to grate some cold butter. I'm sure it'll be nice anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

AstridBean wrote: »
    Damn, never thought of lard and I'm home now. (No Tesco in my one-horse town either - think Super Valu and Londis ;) ) Reckon Tesco would have the Atora stuff.

I'm going to grate some cold butter. I'm sure it'll be nice anyway.

I'm sure it will be fine - the lard would have much the same texture as butter anyway. Suet is used because it has a much higher melting point and so helps to keep a lighter structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

That atora light appears to have just a higher ratio of flour to suet. Tesco show both in stock and the ingredients.

normal & light
    Beef Suet (85%),Wheat Flour

Vegetable Oils (59%),Wheat Flour ,Stabiliser: Pectin

so it has pectin added, maybe to hold it together, but its not in the same league as the likes of low fat spreads, which have a tiny amount of butter than then water and gelatin added. These low fat spreads turn to water when put on toast or when baked. But the light suet just seems like it would need more added, and possibly a little less flour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

When I first moved to Ireland I missed suet ( real suet ) , it was removed from the shelves during the BSE thing I think .... I have nothing to base this on.

I have used the light suet , it works fine .

You should be able to get this from a butcher , but I have never asked , after all it's just shredded fat ( isn't it ? )

mmmmmmm jam roly poly , treacle pud ....mmmmmmm , I think you should also have it in mincemeat / Christmas pud shouldn't you ?

The Tescos near me ( Celbridge ) has it on a sporadic basis.

You can't seem to get Lard either ..... difficult to make real yorkshire puds without lard because you need the high temp .

• Advertisement
Advertisement