Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC upgrade: CPU cooler reuse? RAID disk reuse?

Options
  • 18-12-2011 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm IT savvy but not a frequent builder so looking for advice on two aspects of my plans to upgrade my current setup (which was my second build-from scratch).

First, I currently have an Core 2 Duo E8400 cpu cooled by a Zalman CNPS9500A-LED cooler on an Asus Maximus Formula board. I am buying an i5 2500K cpu and a Gigibyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P or GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 board and want to reuse the Zalman. Is this feasible? Has anyone fitted this cooler to the cpu/board combo I propose? (Worried because fitting it to the Asus board required bending some heatsink fins on the old board - sweaty stuff). Any tips on parting the cooler from its current cpu to leave both it and the old cpu still usable?

Second, current rig has two 1TB Samsung F1 Spinpoint in RAID1 (mirrored) config. With current HDD prices, I plan to reconfig with a new 120GB SSD system disk and split the two 1TBs into an internal data disk and an external backup disk. Is there a way to remove one disk from the RAID array and present it with data intact to the system as a non RAID internal/external disc? I do have a 750Gb disc lying around to do a pre-move backup of vital data anyway but will use the quick solution if it exists.

Bonus question:
    Looking to order from hardwareversand.de for the first time. T&C pages aren't translated into English too well. Anyone had any hassle with the apparent 500 euro limit on first time customers or the crazy address size limitations? What's shipping time/cost like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

xper wrote: »

First, I currently have an Core 2 Duo E8400 cpu cooled by a Zalman CNPS9500A-LED cooler on an Asus Maximus Formula board. I am buying an i5 2500K cpu and a Gigibyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P or GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 board and want to reuse the Zalman. Is this feasible? Has anyone fitted this cooler to the cpu/board combo I propose? (Worried because fitting it to the Asus board required bending some heatsink fins on the old board - sweaty stuff). Any tips on parting the cooler from its current cpu to leave both it and the old cpu still usable?

I haven't used any of these components but .....

From the installation instructions for the cooler http://www.zalman.com/eng/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=277
    and this from Gigabyte's website (GA-Z68XP-UD3P)

185631.PNG

It looks like the fins of the cooler would clear the height of the capacitors around the cpu socket.

As for separating the current cpu from the cooler - when you remove the mounting clips, the cooler and cpu separate but have thermal paste on both.

Use some thermal compound remover(like these ArctiClean Thermal Material Remover) to clean the surfaces of each.

I don't know much about raid and haven't used HWV so afraid I can't help you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

Thanks for your input. I somehow missed that Zalman page when googling myself. I see that I would need to buy one of the listed adaptors for a 1155 socket which is fine although, in followup searching, I see Zalman has a reputation for changing the fittings of its coolers without changing the model number. My cooler has version 2.0 of the manual and the parts described and connection instructions are markedly different to those in the manual downloadable from that page. There may also be an issue with accessing the clip on my current board to remove it. All in all, I think I may play safe and opt for a new cooler.

Anyone on the RAID and HWV questions? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

xper wrote: »
    Thanks for your input. I somehow missed that Zalman page when googling myself. I see that I would need to buy one of the listed adaptors for a 1155 socket which is fine although, in followup searching, I see Zalman has a reputation for changing the fittings of its coolers without changing the model number. My cooler has version 2.0 of the manual and the parts described and connection instructions are markedly different to those in the manual downloadable from that page. There may also be an issue with accessing the clip on my current board to remove it. All in all, I think I may play safe and opt for a new cooler.

Anyone on the RAID and HWV questions? :)

I haven't ordered by credit card so I can't help you with the 500euro limit, however the bank transfer really was quick and easy, my bank did it for me in a few minutes.
    It took 6 days to arrive (including weekend) once the payment went through, and it took one day for the bank transfer payment to go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I think my first order from them came to over €2k via bank transfer so you're fine there. friends also ordered ~€1300 and no problems there either. actually this is the first I've ever heard of this limit.

as for the cooler, is it not way easier to get a decent new cooler? the skythe mugen rev2 is €25 and does a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

Hi,
    Now on the other side of the upgrade so I'll close off my own questions for the benefit of anyone else who ends up here searching for answers to similar questons.

1) Ended up cutting out any worry by not reusing my existing CPU cooler but got a Scythe Mugen 3 for a good price instead. Big, tall cooler cooler (doubt it would fit in some of the slimmer midi tower cases around) but very quiet and much more straightforward to fit. Looking at the new motherboard, still not sure if the Zalman cooler's fitting clip would have conflicted with the board's heatsinks although they are much lower profile than the old board's. Anyway, the old cooler, CPU and motherboard are now cleaned up and put away.

2) Splitting a RAID1 array? Googling really didn't give any clear answers - everything from "it's impossible" to "just unplug the disk and plug it into the new board". Anyway, my experience was thankfully in the latter category. After backing up essential data to a spare drive, when I disconnected the two mirrored 1GB drives from the old board and connected one into a new USB3 external enclosure and the other to a SATAII connection on the new board, all partitions and data were preserved on both and I could just work away. In fact, Windows XP even started up fine to my surprise on the new board from a system partiition on the migrated disk before I had installed Windows 7 on a SSD in the upgraded PC. Excellent result. Given some of the horror stories I've read, however, your mileage may vary so, y'know, BACKUP FIRST!

Bonus question: Ordering from hardwareversand.de.
    Well, not entirely smooth but okay in the end. I ended up splitting my order between komplett.ie (memory), HWS (motherboard, CPU cooler, graphics card, external HDD case) and amazon.co.uk (CPU, SSD, OS). This brought the HWS order under the apparent first-order 500 euro limit so no issues there. I managed to fit an abbreviated version of my address into their extremely restricted registration form which I felt comfortable would get the delivery here but I am sure some other Irish customers would have problems with doing this. Paid by Paypal. This appeared to go smoothly but here's where things got a little weird. Got an order confirmation email and payment confirmation email from HWS. Great. 24 hours later, checked my order status and it says payment confirmed. Checked another 24 hours later and still says same status but would have expected some further progress at that stage. Check the order status history (requires a further click) and see that in between Order Received and Payment Confirmed, there is an Order Cancelled entry. WTF? So I sent email to HWS enquiry address and had a reply within a couple of hours saying (in good English) that the cancellation had occurred because my address on Paypal didn't match the abbreviated version I had to use on HWS's registration form. Much apologies and a promise that the order would be reactivated and dispatched that day. Two hours later it was, so full marks for prompt, helpful customer service four days before Christmas. Its just a pity their registration form address limitation and unnotified order cancellation gave me cause to use it. Delivery is by DHL "Paket" service. Tracked this online and it was 'in the destination country' by Friday night. Thought to myself, maybe DHL were doing deliveries on Christmas Eve but this didn't happen. Package ended up being delivered early on Wednesday after Christmas by An Post parcel service. So, in fact, DHL Paket is just Germany's ordinary parcel postal service. Bit disappointing for a delivery charge of 30 euros. I gather from other posts on this forum that this may be a flat charge so I would be wary about ordering individual items from HWS as the charge cold wipe out any savings. Contrast this to the free delivery through the same An Post parcel service) of my Komplett.ie and Amazon.co.uk orders, ordered at the same time but without any hassle, which did arrive before Christmas (not actually a requirement in this case).
    So a mixed experience. I do highly value the excellent customer service - so hard to get these days - and the prices were considerably lower on some items than other sites but I would have to factor in the delivery charge and potential hassle before using them again. Probably not worth it on individual item orders. As always, shop around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement