Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probably asked before but...

Options
  • 18-12-2011 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

you could own anything once your chief super gives yet the go ahead and you have a good enough reason. The largest unrestricted caliber is .308 and we call them firearms not weapons so people dont get any wrong ideas and you Cant licence a weapon in Ireland just a sporting firearm. Are you looking to get a rifle?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

you could own anything once your chief super gives yet the go ahead

This is substantially true - there is no simple overall limit.

The largest unrestricted caliber is .308

This isn't; there are tens of thousands of unrestricted shotguns well in excess of .308

It would help if you said why you are asking this question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

confident he was talking about rifle calibers. Id also be interested to know why!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

To me caliber indicates bullet size so to me Kildare is right, 308 is the largest unrestricted size bullet you can get in this country. I always measured shotgun size in gauge eg16gauge etc
    Why you want to know anyway op??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Also calibre doesn't equal muzzle energy ,a lever action in .38 special is larger in calibre then a .243 , but does not have anything the muzzle energy. if you mean what is the most powerful rifle you can licence In ireland ?

The most powerful rifles i have heard of in ireland are heavy game rifles kept for shooting in africa, not very suitable for long range shooting though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

Are large game rifles unrestricted or restricted on Ireland??

doyle61 wrote: »

Restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

doyle61 wrote: »

The minimum rifle calibre permitted to be used on game in much of Southern Africa in .375 Holland & Holland or American or Metric equivalent in both calibre and muzzle energy combined.

The more common calibres around the .300" mark encountered in Europe/RoI are classed as 'pot-meat' guns' only, suitable for dik-dik and small game. It's true to say that animal life in Africa tends to be a lot more robust than it is in Europe.

So you can see that owning an African-calibre rifle in Ireland is somewhat rare.

There are, I'm told, a few .338Lapua Magnums rifles around the country, although how the silver-tongued owners pursuaded their local super that such a calibre was ideally suited to their need must forever be a secret between them and and their local Super.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    The minimum rifle calibre permitted to be used on game in much of Southern Africa in .375 Holland & Holland or American or Metric equivalent in both calibre and muzzle energy combined.

The more common calibres around the .300" mark encountered in Europe/RoI are classed as 'pot-meat' guns' only, suitable for dik-dik and small game. It's true to say that animal life in Africa tends to be a lot more robust than it is in Europe.

So you can see that owning an African-calibre rifle in Ireland is somewhat rare.

There are, I'm told, a few .338Lapua Magnums rifles around the country, although how the silver-tongued owners pursuaded their local super that such a calibre was ideally suited to their need must forever be a secret between them and and their local Super.

tac

They aren't as rare as you'd imagine tac , i've seen at least half a dozen .375's , a .416 , and a .470, and also a good few german 9.3 mm rifles.
    I would think a good few of these rifles were bought during the celtic tiger days when money was burning holes in people pockets.

I stand corrected.

...so how many of these guns actually went to Africa, I wonder, or anyplace else that they might be used as they are intended.

Are you saying that if you had a bunch of money, then you could have whatever you wanted?

tac

• Advertisement

I stand corrected.

...so how many of these guns actually went to Africa, I wonder, or anyplace else that they might be used as they are intended.

Are you saying that if you had a bunch of money, then you could have whatever you wanted?

tac

Thats pretty much what was going on before mcdowell / ahern stopped the music, as regards the use , i know some bought the .375's as pig guns , seem a bit heavy to me but the germans do use the 9mm and 9.3 mm rifles for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Dublin Zoo have a .375 H&H AFAIK.
    Amongst other smaller calibres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

375 is a pretty versatile gun and can be loaded to suit a variety of needs. I wouldn't mind one in a nice side by side if it wasn't for the price, problems in licensing and not being able to re-load :D

Dublin Zoo have a .375 H&H AFAIK.
    Amongst other smaller calibres.

Wow!! how much would you have to pay to go hunting there, I wonder?

Is there a special ticket for groups?

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

tac

about Threefiddy;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

tac

I was just pointing out that they have one licensed.

With Mick Noonan holding the purse strings, I'd say anythings possible though

Cackle.

tac

I heard a story that archbishop mcquaid shot a monkey there years ago !

Sure you're not mixing the story up with Bishop Brennan getting a kick up the a$$?

tac

Advertisement