Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hottest people in music (Bear with me here)

Options
  • 18-12-2011 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

I was on the NME website and there was another vote thing, this time it was for the "hottest women in music". Its a Sunday afternoon and I'm bored so I went through the list.

My God, what a dreary bunch. Basically it consisted of dowdy looking women wearing what look like second hand (or should that be vintage) clothes. The likes of Beyonce, Katy Perry and Rihanna were dropped in also. Now I know the NME has a type of reader but my question is this, has music and in particular female musicians lost their sexuality in favour of a bland kind of conformity? They all look like something out of Topshop.

Yes I know sexuality and fashion are two seperate things but I think its a pity that women in music aren't more representative of women in general.

BTW I voted for PJ Harvey.

*I'm not looking for a list of women you would have voted for, I'm more interested in a discussion of women in music

I]Edited to change 'woman' to 'people' in thread title. This is an equal-opportunities meat parade. - El Pr0n[/I

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

I was on the NME website and there was another vote thing, this time it was for the "hottest women in music". Its a Sunday afternoon and I'm bored so I went through the list.

My God, what a dreary bunch. Basically it consisted of dowdy looking women wearing what look like second hand (or should that be vintage) clothes. The likes of Beyonce, Katy Perry and Rihanna were dropped in also. Now I know the NME has a type of reader but my question is this, has music and in particular female musicians lost their sexuality in favour of a bland kind of conformity? They all look like something out of Topshop.

Yes I know sexuality and fashion are two seperate things but I think its a pity that women in music aren't more representative of women in general.

BTW I voted for PJ Harvey.

*I'm not looking for a list of women you would have voted for, I'm more interested in a discussion of women in music

Well it seems you're talking about the objectification of women here and how they should float your sexual boat if you're going to listen to their music. Who gives a f*ck what a woman (or a man) looks like if they're making music you want to hear?

You listen with your ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

viadah wrote: »
    Well it seems you're talking about the objectification of women here and how they should float your sexual boat if you're going to listen to their music. Who gives a f*ck what a woman (or a man) looks like if they're making music you want to hear?

You listen with your ears.

Thanks for missing the point, I dont particularly care what a musician looks like as long as I like their work. The point I'm trying to make is that women in music (particularly rock/indie/alternative) seem to have to fit themselves into a box for easy consumption, and the easiest way to do that is to look like everyone else in that box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

So is your point that the likes of Beyonce, Katy Perry and Rihanna all dress alike?

Generally I don't pay too much attention to NME but I do take the casual interest in the subject of women in modern music.

I reckon if you look back you will see this was always the case. Even with Madonna and Kylie Minogue in the 80s, fashion trends seem to be persistent with female musicians of their time.

Personally I don't think this has anything to do with convincing people to listen to their music.

The point I'm trying to make is that women in music (particularly rock/indie/alternative) seem to have to fit themselves into a box for easy consumption, and the easiest way to do that is to look like everyone else in that box.

Yeah, still talking about the way they look. If I'm missing the point then it should be obvious why.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Well EXCUSE me for finding women attractive! Here is my all time favourite:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

So you're judging the general case for...
    women in music

...based on a poll you saw in...
    the NME

:pac:

I think this thread was ill-advised ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Yeah, still talking about the way they look. If I'm missing the point then it should be obvious why.

I didn't invent marketing. My point is that its easier for a record label to sell the product (the music) if the brand (the musician) is readily identifiable within a category, and that means adopting the mannerisms and customs of said category, i.e a person who makes 'indie' music must dress like the customer's image of what an 'indie' person looks like.

If you looked at the article I was referring to initially you will notice how many of the women in it look and dress similarly. I think women suffer from this far more than men, hence why I was interested in people's responses.

Also, I am aware that NME is a rag, as I said, Sunday's are boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

In fairness Beyoncé's a fúcking ride.

I didn't invent marketing. My point is that its easier for a record label to sell the product (the music) if the brand (the musician) is readily identifiable within a category, and that means adopting the mannerisms and customs of said category, i.e a person who makes 'indie' music must dress like the customer's image of what an 'indie' person looks like.

This is a statement on marketing an act.
    If you looked at the article I was referring to initially you will notice how many of the women in it look and dress similarly. I think women suffer from this far more than men, hence why I was interested in people's responses.

This is back to talking about ladies in fancy clothes.

Have metal bands eschewed their sexuality in favour of a predominantly dark ensemble? Surely this question of branding and marketing affects all genders?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Cat Power does it for me..

chan_marshall_cat_power_mVaXXWK.sized.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

zooey

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 RepliesWithGif

lordgoat wrote: »
    zooey

Elfjumpingforjoy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Nevermind the politics.

Kim Deal. The Breeders. In this.
    http://youtu.be/7AsId-qVIb4

But not perhaps now... so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Ahem...

Kate+Bush.jpg

She still looks well for her age but during her younger years Kate Bush was simply stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Ahem...

Kate+Bush.jpg

She still looks well for her age but during her younger years Kate Bush was simply stunning.

+ 12 million (give or take)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

baz2009 wrote: »
    In fairness Beyoncé's a fúcking ride.

No, no she's not. The fact that she must dominate a song's entire run time turns me right off. If a song is 3:28, she'll be singing through all 3:28 of it. She's the lead guitarist who never knows when to stop of singers. Widdle widdle widdle. Leave a few notes for someone else fat ass!

I've a thing for Mette Lindberg, she's the lead singer in the Asteroids Galaxy Tour. Yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Owen wrote: »
    No, no she's not. The fact that she must dominate a song's entire run time turns me right off. If a song is 3:28, she'll be singing through all 3:28 of it. She's the lead guitarist who never knows when to stop of singers. Widdle widdle widdle. Leave a few notes for someone else fat ass.

What does any of that have to do with her appearance? She's an amazing looking woman regardless of what you think of her singing (which is very good, even if you don't like it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Owen wrote: »
    No, no she's not. The fact that she must dominate a song's entire run time turns me right off. If a song is 3:28, she'll be singing through all 3:28 of it. She's the lead guitarist who never knows when to stop of singers. Widdle widdle widdle. Leave a few notes for someone else fat ass!

I've a thing for Mette Lindberg, she's the lead singer in the Asteroids Galaxy Tour. Yum.

Beyoncé is stunning. The best looking woman I have ever seen in person. Regardless of what you make of her songs/singing.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CYHSN

You don't need to look far for beautiful women, or great music for that matter.

Lisa Hannigan
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQteilyPQHTnZPB2YxDWenT4t07AjEiBhjAlNOEICLKAlGkPPKt

Forget about Beyoncé :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

She's an amazing looking woman regardless of what you think of her singing
    baz2009 wrote: »
    Beyoncé is stunning. The best looking woman I have ever seen in person.

Huge legs, huge ass. Doesn't do it for me. I'm with other posters here, the likes of Zooey and co are much more attractive in every sense of the word!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

CYHSN wrote: »
    You don't need to look far for beautiful women, or great music for that matter.

Lisa Hannigan

Forget about Beyoncé :)

But don't forget Gemma Hayes though!
    3357373.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

review-KT-Tunstall.jpg
    KT Tunstall

NatashaKhan1.jpg
    Natasha Khan (Bat For Lashes)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

paramore1.jpg

Hayley Williams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Cant possibly have a thread about hot female musicians without ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Hillary from JJ72 or Cheryl Cole (I know, I know but im only human)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Britney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Joanna+Newsom+gsa.jpg
    2012460212.jpg
    joanna1.jpg
    usil29gbe297eb92.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

amymcdonald2801004062a.jpg

adelehot62720260462.png

Well Bodhidharma, looks like it didn't work out the way you wanted anyway. I think the title was too provocative and your aims not very well planned out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Well Bodhidharma, looks like it didn't work out the way you wanted anyway. I think the title was too provocative and your aims not very well planned out.

There is still time to post your faves. :)

Advertisement