Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teachers who can teach but are being prevented from doing so by disruptive behaviour

• 18-12-2011 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

What about the situation which arises in mainly lower ability classes whereby teachers are prevented from teaching by disruptive student behaviour. Students pass no heed on report cards or being sent to the principal as they will say themselves back to you "sure that will make no difference, nothing will happen" and that is true. What about making management more accountable in their role in supporting teachers i.e. creating an environment where teaching and learning can take place. Too often they side with the students because they want to keep in with the parents. This is very common across schools. Management dismiss a lot of complaints from teachers etc because they don't want the extra work or hassle. If they put time and energy into this and nipped it in the bud it would reap rewards.

Comments

Pete2012 wrote: »
    What about the situation which arises in mainly lower ability classes whereby teachers are prevented from teaching by disruptive student behaviour. Students pass no heed on report cards or being sent to the principal as they will say themselves back to you "sure that will make no difference, nothing will happen" and that is true. What about making management more accountable in their role in supporting teachers i.e. creating an environment where teaching and learning can take place. Too often they side with the students because they want to keep in with the parents. This is very common across schools. Management dismiss a lot of complaints from teachers etc because they don't want the extra work or hassle. If they put time and energy into this and nipped it in the bud it would reap rewards.

If a student has a bad teacher, the teacher should improve or quit teaching.

If a teacher has bad students, they should be looking for another school where their talents are more appreciated.

Your job is to see what those students want, and will as adults want to have had when they were children, and give it to them.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If a teacher has bad students, they should be looking for another school where their talents are more appreciated.
    Many children in school just don't care and their view won't be changed. This applies to children from many different backgrounds.
    There are bad students in every school and the way things have gone over the last 20 years, it is getting to the stage (if not already there) that there is little that can be done about it. I know of teachers assaulted by an LC student but for because the kids brother took his own life about a year beforehand, nothing was done. The kid kept up the disruptive behaviour for the rest of the year.

Furthermore, it isn't just a case of pack up and move to another job elsewhere.
    Your job is to see what those students want, and will as adults want to have had when they were children, and give it to them.
    You make it sound so easy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Oh dear. :rolleyes:

The utter ignorance of the education system displayed in that statement is astonishing. Maybe you should stop posting in a forum where you're clearly out of your depth.

kbannon wrote: »
    Many children in school just don't care and their view won't be changed. This applies to children from many different backgrounds.
    There are bad students in every school and the way things have gone over the last 20 years, it is getting to the stage (if not already there) that there is little that can be done about it. I know of teachers assaulted by an LC student but for because the kids brother took his own life about a year beforehand, nothing was done. The kid kept up the disruptive behaviour for the rest of the year.

Furthermore, it isn't just a case of pack up and move to another job elsewhere.
    You make it sound so easy!

If you want an easy job, go do menial work & take the paycut that'd entail. There's plenty out there who're willing to point otherways and say it's his/her/their/ fault. Don't be that whinging gobsh*te. Step up to the plate and do your job to the best of your ability. Doesn't matter where you are or who's sitting in front of you. If you do your job to your best & the kids in front don't appreciate it, well that's their loss. You tried.

You might be teaching 30 kids, most of which don't give a sh*t about whatever it is you're putting up on the board. But if just 1 of those takes it in, brings it with him/her to college and gets a glittering career, all on the back of the stuff you put up on the board, then it will be worth everything else.

Think about what teachers you remember from your own days. Am I right that the ones you remember best are the ones who made an effort?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Pete2012

Oh for gods sake Seaslaker. Most teachers DO make an effort. There is a huge amount of prep and correction work teachers do. It's draining when disruptive students slow down class learning and when management do not support teachers in the classroom (i.e. help to create an envirnment where teaching and learning can take place for ALL not just one student as you mentioned).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I heard Bill Rogers speak twice on how he has tackled disruptive behaviour, well worth having a look at some of his books.

Oh for gods sake Seaslaker. Most teachers DO make an effort. There is a huge amount of prep and correction work teachers do. It's draining when disruptive students slow down class learning and when management do not support teachers in the classroom (i.e. help to create an envirnment where teaching and learning can take place for ALL not just one student as you mentioned).

I don't doubt that most teachers make a good effort, as best they can. And because almost every single member of the population growing up will pass in front of a few of you, that means some of you will meet the most despicable, lowest of lowlifes ever to walk the earth, as well as the best. I'm just saying if you do your best, and the guys in front don't appreciate your good work, then there is no fault on your part, so why worry? There's people out there who will never have an iota of interest in what you are putting up on the board. (I still can't understand the lure of poetry. I wasn't an arse in school about it, but to this day I can't get excited about it.) You need to reach out to people who have an interest. They are your students. You've been given the job of teaching them X subject. You're going to do X Y and Z in the coming months. If a student disrupts class it's A punishment, B punishment, C punishment. No ifs, ands or buts. Kid got a problem with that? Ask the principal to get out. Can't get out? Tough sh*t(or the education friendly equivalent) sit and take it or it's A, B, C.

If you want an easy job, go do menial work & take the paycut that'd entail. There's plenty out there who're willing to point otherways and say it's his/her/their/ fault. Don't be that whinging gobsh*te. Step up to the plate and do your job to the best of your ability. Doesn't matter where you are or who's sitting in front of you. If you do your job to your best & the kids in front don't appreciate it, well that's their loss. You tried.
    Firstly I'm not a school teacher but through work I train adults. I've taught adults that had zero interest. However, thankfully, I didn't have to deal with their parents who refuse to believe that little Johnny or Mary were dossers.
    However my other half is a teacher. She works until about midnight most nights and usually 7-8 hours in total at the weekend (obviously without pay or recognition). I know the crap teachers put up with mainly because of there is little discipline that bothers many kids (and their parents often force heads or BoMs to back down on serious discipline measures).

Still, think what you want to believe what you post, then fine. Just don't be the one to moan about your kids teacher not being able to get straight As from the class.
    You might be teaching 30 kids, most of which don't give a sh*t about whatever it is you're putting up on the board. But if just 1 of those takes it in, brings it with him/her to college and gets a glittering career, all on the back of the stuff you put up on the board, then it will be worth everything else.
    That sounds great but if that one student is being constantly disrupted by one or two out of the group then most likely they aren't going to reach their potential and there may be nothing the best teacher can do about it.
    Think about what teachers you remember from your own days. Am I right that the ones you remember best are the ones who made an effort?
    In terms of teaching, things have changed considerably since I was a kid (and its not that long!) so I'm not sure if its an equal comparison.

I'm just saying if you do your best, and the guys in front don't appreciate your good work, then there is no fault on your part, so why worry? There's people out there who will never have an iota of interest in what you are putting up on the board.
    You need to reach out to people who have an interest. They are your students. You've been given the job of teaching them X subject. You're going to do X Y and Z in the coming months. If a student disrupts class it's A punishment, B punishment, C punishment. No ifs, ands or buts. Kid got a problem with that? Ask the principal to get out. Can't get out? Tough sh*t(or the education friendly equivalent) sit and take it or it's A, B, C.
    You really have no idea, do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭2011abc

Seaslacker as KB above just said ,thats a tad on the over simplistic side to put it mildly !Like saying if you want to win gold at the Olympics 100m next year you just need to do X,Y and Z.Simples!
    No,not really!So many people sem to think 'controlling' a class is just a question of taking no crap.There have been World Wrestling Federation look a like male teachers that have been reduced to quivering wrecks by kids and brought close to tears and there have been 5 foot nuthin females that strike terror into the hearts of part time joyriders ,shop lifters etc etc .
    OP has sadly hit nail on head in many schools in Ireland not only are the subject teachers claims dismissed but THEY are dismissed ,let go,fired etc .

• Advertisement

It's not a case of getting angry, just being methodical. Laying it out on day one, and saying if A happens, B happens. People think taking no crap means getting like Sargeant Hartman in Full Metal Jacket. No it doesn't. It means "I said I'd do X if you did that, you've done that, I'm now doing X. If you do it again I'll do Y." No egos. No sneering. No derision. And no exceptions for the "good" kids who slip up. Just you doing what you said you would do. If you're stopped by higher ups then talk to them and work out what you can do. If they won't help go further up, and/or get support from wherever you can. It could be from parents of kids victimised by the problem kid or whose kid is being held back by the antics of the problem kid's behaviour, or other teachers whose classes are being just as disrupted as yours.

One of the most important lessons we learn at school is that actions have consequences. Better they learn that in front of you than down the road in front of a judge.

Dream on!
    You are seriously underestimating kids nowadays!

Yep, dream on. Then act on.

You do what you can, and if it works, it works! If it doesn't work, that's their loss, not the teacher's. No point stressing over it if you've done what you can do to change it.

Maybe it's because I've never let anyone ever intimidate me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

SeaSlacker wrote: »
    If it doesn't work, that's their loss, not the teacher's. No point stressing over it if you've done what you can do to change it.

I'm not going to comment on statements like I've never let anyone intimidate me and i dont want to discuss a land with ideal behaviour and responses to sanctions. My issue is when you say it's their loss. Those children who misbehave. It's more than that. If you are interrupted to correct/give out/sanction a student, the good children who are paying attention lose out on precious teaching time. That is what I find the toughest part of teaching. That some disruptive students are preventing themselves from learning? Fine. But when it impacts others it really bothers me..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

It's not a case of getting angry, just being methodical. Laying it out on day one, and saying if A happens, B happens. People think taking no crap means getting like Sargeant Hartman in Full Metal Jacket. No it doesn't. It means "I said I'd do X if you did that, you've done that, I'm now doing X. If you do it again I'll do Y." No egos. No sneering. No derision. And no exceptions for the "good" kids who slip up. Just you doing what you said you would do.

This is so simplistic, it's shocking.

I've not got huge amounts of experience, I'll admit. But I remember having one nightmare class back in my PGDE with two really disruptive kids and 28 nice ones. The problem is I'd threaten X and then carry out the punishment. Once they've taken it though, they realise it's not that bad. I'd give them extra work, detention, I'd send notes home, I'd send them to year heads, vice principals, principals. The problem was each time I escalated, they'd realise that the punishments aren't that bad. It might calm them down for a day or two and then they'd be off again.

It's not as simply as just trying and carrying out punishments, and it's not as simple as ignoring them and teaching the others, cause what happens then is the disruptive kids create an atmosphere of disarray and ruin it for the other kids. I'm not saying there's any easy or clear way to deal with these types of students, but sometimes threatening and then carrying out a punishment does nothing except teach them the punishments aren't that bad...

Moody_mona wrote: »
    I'm not going to comment on statements like I've never let anyone intimidate me and i dont want to discuss a land with ideal behaviour and responses to sanctions. My issue is when you say it's their loss. Those children who misbehave. It's more than that. If you are interrupted to correct/give out/sanction a student, the good children who are paying attention lose out on precious teaching time. That is what I find the toughest part of teaching. That some disruptive students are preventing themselves from learning? Fine. But when it impacts others it really bothers me..

It should bother the parents more. It's in their interests to support you then. And if you want to support the good students then you talk to them & their parents about what they want to do. In this age of e-mail & facebook there's no excuse for a lack of communication with a group of parents who want their kids to do well.

We all lose out sometimes when it comes to being in a group. I have to either be 2-3 minutes late for work (enough to get sanctioned against me) or be 27 minutes early because my work bus is timed that way. If there's a crash on the M50 people can be delayed for hours. People suffer because of the unrelated actions of others, so they learn to work around such things. I make sure I get to my earlier bus. People ring ahead and make arrangements for things they would have done had the M50 crash not happened. The good students will cover the work they need to do to get the grade they want. All you need to do is provide the education, and if a recurring problem is present, let the parents know a recurring problem is present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

All you need to do is provide the education, and if a recurring problem is present, let the parents know a recurring problem is present.

Do you seriously think it's that easy? Do you seriously think that all the parents out there take an interest in their child's education? The turnout at parent-teacher meetings in some schools would really open your eyes.

This is so simplistic, it's shocking.

I've not got huge amounts of experience, I'll admit. But I remember having one nightmare class back in my PGDE with two really disruptive kids and 28 nice ones. The problem is I'd threaten X and then carry out the punishment. Once they've taken it though, they realise it's not that bad. I'd give them extra work, detention, I'd send notes home, I'd send them to year heads, vice principals, principals. The problem was each time I escalated, they'd realise that the punishments aren't that bad. It might calm them down for a day or two and then they'd be off again.

It's not as simply as just trying and carrying out punishments, and it's not as simple as ignoring them and teaching the others, cause what happens then is the disruptive kids create an atmosphere of disarray and ruin it for the other kids. I'm not saying there's any easy or clear way to deal with these types of students, but sometimes threatening and then carrying out a punishment does nothing except teach them the punishments aren't that bad...

You use the wrong word there, "threatening". You don't work with threats, you work with consequences. And forget about any form of communication with parents that isn't directly from either you or the school. Forget notes, get the parent's emails. If you have to go through the principal's office to contact parents then so be it, but you have to get direct contact and a direct reply from that parent. And if that parent is not acting, you need to inform the other parents that their child not getting the education they deserve because of the actions of one disruptive pupil.

I don't know if refusing to have a pupil in your class is a viable action, but that's the way I'd go if it was that serious.

I'm not saying teaching is easy, but I am saying that if you bring it to basics, do your best, and fail still, then you can go home with a clear conscience. Yes the majority suffers because of the actions of a vocal minority, but if you've done what you can then you cna do nothing else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Seaslacker, I'm willing to believe you're not trolling, but you really have a simplistic idea of what goes on in classrooms and in schools in general. I'm willing to believe there are many posting in this thread where their classrooms are havens of silence and learning and that's great for you, but it's a long way from the norm.

There are parents out there who do not give a sh1t - literally. There are people struggling to teach classes of these people's offspring, where there are no sanctions at home, the parents will not even respond to the Principal, or the Department. The only thing that would bother these people is to hit them where it hurts - the free chunk of my taxes they get weekly. It would be simple enough do - schools submit a list of satisfactory/unsatisfactory students to the Social Welfare and the allowances for children either get paid or they don't. Sh1tty parenting? Then no allowances for you. Little brat playing up and stopping others from learning? No allowances for you. No politician of course has the balls to do anything about it - far easier blame the teachers and their three months holidays.

Look up things like section 28 and see how difficult it is to get rid of these 'students', especially if you are the school that they get dumped on from elsewhere.

You use the wrong word there, "threatening". You don't work with threats, you work with consequences.
    Don't forget that teachers must work within the confines of the school rules and the law. There may not be that much that can be used to result in "consequences".
    What consequences would you apply to a constantly disruptive kid that is not scared of any punishment?
    And forget about any form of communication with parents that isn't directly from either you or the school. Forget notes, get the parent's emails. If you have to go through the principal's office to contact parents then so be it, but you have to get direct contact and a direct reply from that parent. And if that parent is not acting, you need to inform the other parents that their child not getting the education they deserve because of the actions of one disruptive pupil.
    1. you assume that all parents actually give a toss about their kids. Many believe that the teacher's role is to raise their kids.
    2. If you were to suggest to Mr. & Mrs Murphy that another child is causing their little Johnny's or Mary's education to suffer, then the school would be held responsible by the Murphys (i.e. possibly by getting sued). Then the disruptive kids parents will sue for slander. Would you want that on your professional record?
    I don't know if refusing to have a pupil in your class is a viable action, but that's the way I'd go if it was that serious.
    Where would the kid go? Gone are the days where a kid was left to stand in the hallway!
    I'm not saying teaching is easy, but I am saying that if you bring it to basics, do your best, and fail still, then you can go home with a clear conscience. Yes the majority suffers because of the actions of a vocal minority, but if you've done what you can then you cna do nothing else.
    How could you say that teaching is easy when it appears from your posts that you know little about it?
    However, its all well and good saying that you tried your best as a teacher. However, that isn't posted in JC & LC results, in these crappy league tables, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

the joys of teaching in modern ireland. one of the reasons why a lot of teachers left the profession.

you should heave ho with the sailor talk there seaslacker. if you cannot argue your point without referring to teachers as gob****es folks here will not parley with you.

Do you seriously think it's that easy? Do you seriously think that all the parents out there take an interest in their child's education? The turnout at parent-teacher meetings in some schools would really open your eyes.

I think seaslacker represents a large segment of the population who believe any fool can teach.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

You will find that most of the rights seem to be on the side of the wrongdoer. If a child refuses to go to dentention for example, do you propose to carry them into a room?If a child assaults another child or indeed the teacher,gets suspended and thinks that great fun,what do you do?It is nigh on impossible to expel a child and there are parents out there who don't give a damn, or that might show up and assault the teacher/principal. What then?

I teach in a primary schools where we don't have any serious behavior issues and a positive code of behaviour, but I know of children from other primary schools wh have done all of the above.

It's not a case of getting angry, just being methodical. Laying it out on day one, and saying if A happens, B happens. People think taking no crap means getting like Sargeant Hartman in Full Metal Jacket. No it doesn't. It means "I said I'd do X if you did that, you've done that, I'm now doing X. If you do it again I'll do Y." No egos. No sneering. No derision. And no exceptions for the "good" kids who slip up. Just you doing what you said you would do. If you're stopped by higher ups then talk to them and work out what you can do. If they won't help go further up, and/or get support from wherever you can. It could be from parents of kids victimised by the problem kid or whose kid is being held back by the antics of the problem kid's behaviour, or other teachers whose classes are being just as disrupted as yours.

One of the most important lessons we learn at school is that actions have consequences. Better they learn that in front of you than down the road in front of a judge.

Thanks for clearing that up for us. I really had no idea it was that simple! What have I been doing for all these years?

You truly are a visionary - indeed I'd say you know as much about teaching as our current minister...

spurious, thanks for the benefit of the doubt, and yes I am very much an outsider whose experience of school comes from being one of the kids in the front seat. I do have experience of enforcing arbritrary rules on people who vary from those who understand them to those who refuse point blank to adhere to them, and taking action against those people. I suppose that is where my "X,Y,Z" approach comes from.

When I eventually deal with secondary school teachers (I'd say by then the current JC students would be my current age!!!) I would hope regular contact between parent and teacher would be mandatory on both sides, even if it's just a monthly class report e-mail informing parents of class subjects coming up & other news...

I think one of the dangers of any profession is to be too inward-looking. Just looking at some of the reactions to both the "teacher who can't teach" and "Should Computer Programming...." reveals a very navel-gazing teacher-centric attitude to the education sector in some posters. I personally believe 3rd level methods of learning i.e. "you can find out more at A, B, and C, go and look it up if you're interested" should be mentioned at second level *in addition* to the normal class. If you've no interest in the topic then you'll just slog away at the class, but encouraging students to voluntarily do the kind of things 3rd level students are required to do would obviously benefit the good students & give them some independence.

I do think that I will have to introduce my own children to the 3rd level way of doing things by myself, because I don't think the school I send them to will.

Reading back over this, it's getting off topic really. I've already said that yes you are in a difficult job, my point is the attitude you bring to it and bring home. Do your job to your best, deal with the troublemakers as best you can, and don't allow this job of yours to get to you. You're not superman/woman, and get allies in the parents of the good kids. If they're the ones uncaring, be the shining light in a good student's life that pulls them out of the rigmarle they have to put up with. Like I said, if what you put on the board is what they use to get into college and off to a glittering career, they will thank you for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

You use the wrong word there, "threatening". You don't work with threats, you work with consequences.

Let's not play symantics, can we? A teacher threaten's consequences. You work with threats of consequences if they don't do what you tell them. Unfortunatly, as time goes on, they realise there's no consequences which have a long lasting affect on them and keep going. I'm talking about kids who were being sent to the principal's office day in, day out, were having parents being called in but no responses coming back, who do everything in their power to disrupt classes cause they don't want to learn and they have no fear of "consequences". You're view is way, way too simplistic.

What do you do with a kid who you have carried out these consequences out against and still disrupts classes?

Let's not play symantics, can we? A teacher threaten's consequences. You work with threats of consequences if they don't do what you tell them. Unfortunatly, as time goes on, they realise there's no consequences which have a long lasting affect on them and keep going. I'm talking about kids who were being sent to the principal's office day in, day out, were having parents being called in but no responses coming back, who do everything in their power to disrupt classes cause they don't want to learn and they have no fear of "consequences". You're view is way, way too simplistic.

What do you do with a kid who you have carried out these consequences out against and still disrupts classes?

I suppose social worker would be next port of call.

Look, I've repeated my point a few times (attitude), I'm willing to accept you all think I live in a cloud cookoo land where there are no scumbags in the population and every parent cares about their kid. I'm actually not under that illusion and I think physical violence should always involve criminal law, regardless of age (if not the hitter, then the hitter's parents)

I still believe that being clear, concise and consistent about the consequences of transgressions, while avoiding giving any emotional response to such trangressions is the best way to at least attempt to minimise such transgressions. If they know what to expect from you, they'll react accordingly.

Edit: I'm going to let this cool off for a bit. I've said my peice and unless anyone wants to ask a further question about my opinion, I'll leave it be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

If a student has a bad teacher, the teacher should improve or quit teaching.

Sorry, the OP did not mention a bad teacher. You may not, as I was told on another thread, challenge an OP on matters of so-called fact. You may only offer advice in relation to what they have raised. That is the tradition on boards (apparently). If you wish to talk about bad teachers you should start a new thread.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

please somebody give seaslacker a class or two for a day and then maybe his/her attitude and perspective may change!
    such rosetinted completely unrealistic crap i haven't heard since my teacher training days!

please somebody give seaslacker a class or two for a day and then maybe his/her attitude and perspective may change!
    such rosetinted completely unrealistic crap i haven't heard since my teacher training days!

Tempting idea but then you'd have to pick up the pieces afterwards. "A little knowledge is a damgerous thing."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

When I read your post, the first thing that occurred to me was to ask whether it is a case of all (or most) teachers having a problem with a small group of students or whether it is a case of one (or a small group) of teachers having a problem with controlling a class (and is not an experience shared across the school).

The solution is different depending on which circumstances apply.

One general point I would be interested in your response to is the question of who is management? To what extent is there a shared collegiate responsibility to manage the school?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I heard Bill Rogers speak twice on how he has tackled disruptive behaviour, well worth having a look at some of his books.

I'd second that! His books are very good - did a whole college module on classroom management that was based solely on his books

Advertisement