Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hiltex ewes

• 18-12-2011 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Been reading the odd mention of this Hiltex breed here and I had a Google about them last night.

How would they compare to a Blackface ewe a Western hill? Not limestone, but bog and granite, exposed.

Just pondering the idea for the future. I do like the list of characteristics given to them on the Texel site.

Anyone here running them in similar circumstances? They do let Texel rams out around here but it's mostly Blackies sent off out to the hill.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

johngalway wrote: »
    Been reading the odd mention of this Hiltex breed here and I had a Google about them last night.

How would they compare to a Blackface ewe a Western hill? Not limestone, but bog and granite, exposed.

Just pondering the idea for the future. I do like the list of characteristics given to them on the Texel site.

Anyone here running them in similar circumstances? They do let Texel rams out around here but it's mostly Blackies sent off out to the hill.

there has been lads at that for years seaping and messing around usualy end up going back to what works best blackies...,
    i suppose it depends on the hill i reckon then again if you give blackies a good run will they not perform well enough, survivability may be an issue wth the hilltex on a hill for the winter, they definately have a great logo but i cant see what the benifits of them are over other crosses out there meven for lowland systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Hardiness is the main attraction for me, when taken in relation to the other qualities they talk about. If true, it would bring up the lambing % for me. Blackies are great but facing facts it's mostly 1 ewe 1 lamb. Two lambs will make more € than one.

(Wicklow) Cheviots or Cheviot X's would have been on the same hill years back.

There obviously would be more care involved, I don't mind that, once it paid off in the end.

Survivability is a factor, no point in doing it if they're going to fall over during Winter. But if they could stand up to it, then they may be worth the consideration given increased lambing %.

We don't scan here, don't know any flock that does in this area, so single and twin bearing ewes would all be sent to the hill over Winter (again, blackies).

johngalway wrote: »
    Hardiness is the main attraction for me, when taken in relation to the other qualities they talk about. If true, it would bring up the lambing % for me. Blackies are great but facing facts it's mostly 1 ewe 1 lamb. Two lambs will make more € than one.

(Wicklow) Cheviots or Cheviot X's would have been on the same hill years back.

There obviously would be more care involved, I don't mind that, once it paid off in the end.

Survivability is a factor, no point in doing it if they're going to fall over during Winter. But if they could stand up to it, then they may be worth the consideration given increased lambing %.

We don't scan here, don't know any flock that does in this area, so single and twin bearing ewes would all be sent to the hill over Winter (again, blackies).

lad i dont think the texel would bring up the litter size much if there being kept on a hill not one of their strong suits anyway, a friend of mine runs blackies, he keeps some of them for crossing if you get them in right condition at tipping they will have enough lambs he scanned 1.4 for a old batch running with a blue leicester ram

flatout11 wrote: »
    lad i dont think the texel would bring up the litter size much if there being kept on a hill not one of their strong suits anyway, a friend of mine runs blackies, he keeps some of them for crossing if you get them in right condition at tipping they will have enough lambs he scanned 1.4 for a old batch running with a blue leicester ram

Reckon I've been at 1.3, maybe a bit above before. For the life of me I can't remember what this years was, have it written down somewhere :o Had a glut of single ram lambs this year though so I don't think I did as well as other years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Highland

Can't see either texel or SBF bringing litter size to the table. Its a good sales pitch though. They did a bit of work on this cross in AFBI , Greenmount a few years ago. I think they didn't last and were not hectic in term of lambs reared - if my memory serves me correctly.

I think the cross is more pitched at hill farmers using texel rams and selling ewe lambs to lowland flocks - bit like the mules, greyfaces etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Highland wrote: »
    Can't see either texel or SBF bringing litter size to the table. Its a good sales pitch though. They did a bit of work on this cross in AFBI , Greenmount a few years ago. I think they didn't last and were not hectic in term of lambs reared - if my memory serves me correctly.

I think the cross is more pitched at hill farmers using texel rams and selling ewe lambs to lowland flocks - bit like the mules, greyfaces etc.
    I think you are right there.

I couldnt see Texel x sheep thriving very much on hilly ground, john. You might get a boost in liter size but you will also have bigger ewes so you will either have to supplement with more feed or reduce the stocking rate which will bring you back towards the same margins you had before.

You said there used be cheviots on your hill before. Would a blackie/cheviot cross improve your margins? Both are able to thrive in less than ideal circumstances and you would have the benefit of hybrid vigour? I remember the first ewes i bought were blackie/cheviots and they were teriffic ewes but i couldnt find many for replacements so i had to breed my own.

But, as i said before, i dont know much about hill sheepies

Funny you should mention NCC, they were mentioned on BFF too. I actually quite like them, never had them but saw two pens of NCC lambs at the mart last year and got chatting to the owner, they're a really nice type of lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭sheeper

If the Texel can cope with Scotish weather I would Imagen they will fly it here

its not the weather its the feed!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭sheeper

Well they are pretty adaptable!

• Advertisement
Advertisement