Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gluten free Xmas dinner starter

Options
  • 18-12-2011 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm providing the starter for this year's xmas dinner. Unfortunately it needs to be gluten free which complicates things. Does anyone have any ideas for a starter that's not prawn cocktail or soup? I thought about goats cheese tartlet but then remembered the bloody pastry!

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Cheese and meat board? A range of cheeses, salamis, hams, relishes, chilli jam and gluten free crackers, with fresh fruit.

Looks impressive and tastes wonderful.

Another option is smoked salmon pate, or chicken salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

If you can get your hands on gluten free ciabatta, and I'd say the health food shops will supply it, try this for your goats cheese craving!

http://www.dietaryspecials.ie/gluten-free-recipes/gluten-free-recipes/starters/red-onion-and-goats-cheese-savoury/

And there are more in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

How about a simple brushcetta made with gluten free bread from the local supermarket?

Simple and effective, you could make up your tomato mix earlier in the day and then grill the bread just before serving

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

How does Roquefort salad with pears, chicory and walnut oil sound?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/roquefort_salad_with_82284

Also they have a few other starters in the gluten free section. HTH

Ladypip:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Hi all,
    I'm providing the starter for this year's xmas dinner. Unfortunately it needs to be gluten free which complicates things. Does anyone have any ideas for a starter that's not prawn cocktail or soup? I thought about goats cheese tartlet but then remembered the bloody pastry!

Any help appreciated
    Gravelax with roast beetroot and swedish potatoes. Can post up a recipe if you like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Thanks for all the ideas..that BBC website is great. Think I'm gonna go with the salad idea, sounds ideal as not too heavy and most importantly includes cheese!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Melon wrapped with Prosciutto?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Prawn cocktail with tomato & lettuce salad. An oldie but a goodie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Hi all,

Any help appreciated
    olaola wrote: »
    Prawn cocktail with tomato & lettuce salad. An oldie but a goodie.

Why not try ribs or wings? Not very Chrismassy but very yum!

Or pate with gluten free bread and some mixed leaves.

Advertisement