Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household charge tax poll removed from taxation forum

Options
  • 18-12-2011 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've been banned from the taxation forum for 14 days, the thread has been deleted so I don't have a link.

Another poster created a poll thread asking who would be paying the new €100 household charge. The mod, Mr. Incogito, closed the thread because he/she felt it was promoting illegal tax evasion. I disagree, not paying the new household tax is a form of passive resistance to a tax the poster felt was wrong. That's a big difference to illegal tax evasion. I feel the poll should be allowed to be kept open. I've no connection to the person who created the original poll post.

When the poll was closed i created a new thread objecting to the closure of the poll thread. The tone of this new thread was sarcastic but i would think it was very harsh to ban me for it.

I searched for a similar thread and found this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056487076. There were no objections to the question.

So, could i ask that the household tax poll be allowed to run, and my ban be reconsidered.

Regards,
    Radiat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭radiat

hi,
    i've found another forum that has allowed the poll to run: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056484852

so you can ignore my requests and close this off.

Thanks,
    radiat

however you'd have to ask why is one person banned (not me, the creator of the poll) for creating the poll on one forum and on another forum the same question is asked and a massive number of posts follow with no repercussions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

radiat wrote: »
    When the poll was closed i created a new thread objecting to the closure of the poll thread. The tone of this new thread was sarcastic but i would think it was very harsh to ban me for it.

When a thread is closed, starting a new thread of the same subject, or a thread questioning why the first was closed, is always a no-no. Doing so will lead to repercussions, which may include a ban, in any forum on Boards.ie.

The correct procedure would be to PM the mod and ask for clarification. Starting a thread on the forum is an unnecessary disruption. With regard to your post, you have no freedom of speech on a privately run website such as this, so don't even go there. Your ban is deserved.

As per DRP guidelines, you could have cleared all this up by contacting the mod in question first, which I can only assume you did not.

jor el wrote: »
    With regard to your post, you have no freedom of speech on a privately run website such as this, so don't even go there.

i never suggested i did, but apart from that ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

In the post that got you banned, you did exactly that, as you did again in another post on the Greystones forum where you again questioned the decision of the mod in the Taxation forum, and your own ban.

• Advertisement

The mod banned the poster of the poll thread because he was complaining about the new household tax and asked who was paying it. The mod said that not paying tax is illegal and couldn't be discussed (or words to that effect, the thread was deleted). There's nothing illegal about protesting against what could be viewed as an unfair tax, ie. people have the right to free
    speech in the broadest terms. The multitutes of people around the country aren't being arrested for protesting against the tax. It's nothing to do with any rights on boards.ie

Anyway, i'm happy with the outcome and will be leaving it at that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement