Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

should adam johnson leave man city?

• 18-12-2011 7:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭

i think his talent is wasted at city. he will win lots but contribute relatively little to said achievements. everytme he plays or comes on as a sub he creates or scores. mancini cant be criticised,they are top of the league but surely this kid deserves and should want to play more.

or is he just happy to take the cash?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Yes, and he should go to Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Out on loan to Leeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

i think his talent is wasted at city. he will win lots but contribute relatively little to said achievements. everytme he plays or comes on as a sub he creates or scores. mancini cant be criticised,they are top of the league but surely this kid deserves and should want to play more.

or is he just happy to take the cash?

Would ya stop??? You may have had the guts of a decent debate with the first part of your post but the last line pretty nailed down the type of debate your actually looking for and I hope no copped on City fans here fall for it:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

He's still young and has bags of talent but for now he's a squad player and he knows that. If he continues to work hard then he'll be getting a regular look in.

Hard to keep everyone happy though given the wealth of talent they have. Needs to be patient and his chance will come.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

Would ya stop??? You may have had the guts of a decent debate with the first part of your post but the last line pretty nailed down the type of debate your actually looking for and I hope no copped on City fans here fall for it:mad:
    im not out to bait any fans. he strikes me as a player in the league who would absolutely hack up for anyone else. if you take away bales pace i think johnson is more gifted and im a spurs fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'd take him at Arsenal tbh.

It'll be an interesting decision for a lot of City players; are they happy to be a squad player and take the money or do they want to play.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

AJ has a big future ahead of him at City, there is no way he is leaving, nor should he.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

That_Guy wrote: »
    He's still young and has bags of talent but for now he's a squad player and he knows that. If he continues to work hard then he'll be getting a regular look in.

Hard to keep everyone happy though given the wealth of talent they have. Needs to be patient and his chance will come.

Instead of who though? Who is he realistically going to displace in the City side?

It would be fine to be a back up player getting a game here and there whilst developing if you're 21/22 but he turns 25 in the Summer and should really be playing a lot more regularly at this stage of his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

He should be in the starting eleven of what ever team he is at .

A left footed player of his calibre are like chickens teeth .

But he won't play for another PL team in the near future that's for sure .
    No way City would sell him to a rival .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

im not out to bait any fans. he strikes me as a player in the league who would absolutely hack up for anyone else. if you take away bales pace i think johnson is more gifted and im a spurs fan.

Fair enough but for me personally the way you ended your post came across as pretty much baiting (I'm known to be wrong tho' so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

karma_ wrote: »
    AJ has a big future ahead of him at City, there is no way he is leaving, nor should he.

Don't think so, as mentioned he ain't an 18 year old biding his time. He's 25 next year and if he had a big future he'd be starting regularly. Simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I'd love him. Think hes a amazing player. Really like watching him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Out on loan to Leeds.

Remember we had him on loan in 2006? Only for 1 month and we probably could have extended it. Didn't get much time to impress.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

He's not that young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

JokerD wrote: »
    Remember we had him on loan in 2006? Only for 1 month and we probably could have extended it. Didn't get much time to impress.

I didnt know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

hes not that good, if he was that good he'd be starting. dont get me wrong hes a good good player just not top level starting 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Quality player. He should leave as sitting on the bench is not making him better. He is good enough for most teams in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Cracking player.

Had the chance to go to Sunderland or Manchester City but obviously chose City. Can't blame him considering they offered him double the wage and a house. In reality we should have had him in the bag the year before as we'd been watching him every week but left it too late.

Should he move? Well he's playing for a title challenging, Champions League side and making an absolute fortune at 24 years of age whilst also getting into the England squad on a quite regular basis these days. The reason he doesn't play more is because he's not disciplined enough defensively, that said, it's not as if he's not getting look in at all. 25 games (10 starts) this season (4 goals), 48 (25 starts) last season.

I can't see why he'd bother moving really. He'd play every week somewhere else but it wouldn't be for a side as good and he'd have to take a big wage cut.

Paully D wrote: »
    Cracking player.

Had the chance to go to Sunderland or Manchester City but obviously chose City. Can't blame him considering they offered him double the wage and a house. In reality we should have had him in the bag the year before as we'd been watching him every week but left it too late.

Should he move? Well he's playing for a title challenging, Champions League side and making an absolute fortune at 24 years of age whilst also getting into the England squad on a quite regular basis these days. The reason he doesn't play more is because he's not disciplined enough defensively, that said, it's not as if he's not getting look in at all. 25 games (10 starts) this season (4 goals), 48 (25 starts) last season.

I can't see why he'd bother moving really. He'd play every week somewhere else but it wouldn't be for a side as good and he'd have to take a big wage cut.

I actually read somewhere that his wages at City are fairly modest. Around £45/50k per week apparently.

He could get more than that at another club but then again City could obviously offer him more again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Great individual skill but looks a bit clueless to me at times. I'm not sold on him yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

City would'nt loan him out to any of the top sides. Can see at Newcastle tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I just can't understand why he signed a new contract. He is wasted there!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Blatter wrote: »
    I actually read somewhere that his wages at City are fairly modest. Around £45/50k per week apparently.

He could get more than that at another club but then again City could obviously offer him more again.
    Thats not modest. That's an exceptional wage for a "squad" player.

Jebus, lads calling 45/50K a week modest........
    I don't think he'd get much more elsewhere as a squad player tbh, and only a couple of top clubs would offer him more as a first teamer.

I think he's a decent player but suspect he's happy with the money and looking forward to having a part in this team which will, no doubt win a lot in the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

kippy wrote: »

I don't think he'd get much more elsewhere as a squad player tbh, and only a couple of top clubs would offer him more as a first teamer.

I think he's a decent player but suspect he's happy with the money and looking forward to having a part in this team which will, no doubt win a lot in the next few years.
    not when other "squad" players at the same club are making double/triple that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Liam O wrote: »
    not when other "squad" players at the same club are making double/triple that.

The point is he wouldnt get it elsewhere.

kippy wrote: »

Sorry forget what I said, didn't realise he signed a new contract last month. His wages went from £45k to £90k.

I think £45k was a fairly modest wage AJ seeing as Ashley Young is on around £90k and it was certainly modest compared to the wages of other City players.

And I'm certain he would get more than £45k a week elsewhere, sure Downing is also on more, and AJ is clearly a better player.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

If Man City go out and buy another few players in January then he should leave,
    He'll get no where there,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

monkey9 wrote: »
    I just can't understand why he signed a new contract. He is wasted there!!!

i'd say the 85-90k a week is the kicker there

he will get more money sitting on the bench at city then he will playing first team football anywhere else.

Give him time and he will develop Wayne Bridge syndrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Would offer more than Nasri would imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Lets face it - he will never be a first teamer for City. If all he is concerned about is his wallet then he should stay. If he cares for his career, then he moves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Warper wrote: »
    Lets face it - he will never be a first teamer for City. If all he is concerned about is his wallet then he should stay. If he cares for his career, then he moves.

He's reportedly on £90k/wk. Coupled with what he'd get in terms of a signing on fee, financially he'd be better off going to any of the top 6

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Would get into most top sides, certainly Liverpool would be delighted to have him. Arsenal would be interesting too and Chelsea may want a Malouda replacement.

This thing of City not wanting to sell isnt 100% accurate it's not as if they can keep him hostage. But he'd cost the bones of £20 million to prise away. Think James Milner made an error in moving there also he should be a first choice starter week in week out for a top side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

It really depends on his career ambitions and whether his manager actually is willing to put his trust in him, he is clearly too good to just sit on the bench but if he is happy to do it thats his choice.

I feel that unless he improves his work rate defensively Mancini will not start him regularly, so if he doesnt do that but stays there he will piss away his prime getting very rich, i can think of worse things i guess

If he actually improves defensively I think Mancini would include him more, I really wish we had signed him in the better half of manchester :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Paully D wrote: »
    that said, it's not as if he's not getting look in at all. 25 games (10 starts) this season (4 goals), 48 (25 starts) last season.

This should be end of thread. He is playing. He is playing for a soon to be all conquering team too. Players like to win things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Wouldnt say no to him at The Villa

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

He'd be perfect for Arsenal imo, get rid of that gimp Gervinho and bring in Johnson instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I just don't see him ever being a starter under Mancini, purely because of the way he sets the team up. It's not as if Johnson hasn't absolutely torn it up when he has played. If that kind of form doesn't earn you a place in the first eleven, nothing will. I think he's really excellent and could do amazingly well at another club. Don't see him leaving though. Not when City are doing so well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'd gladly take him at Chelsea, could solve a problem for us out wide and free up Mata to play centerally behind a main striker.

Front 4 of :

Drogba/Torres

AJ
    Mata
    Sturridge

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

johnson wont be going anywhere.. city have a hectic january and he will play his part like everyone else in the squad system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

go out on loan in jan
    make a long term call then in july

he'll have 3/4 months to show citeh what he can do / or else attract other prospective employers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I think everyone already knows what "he can do"

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I think everyone already knows what "he can do"

really?
    hes completely unproven in the prem as far as i'm concerned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

conno16 wrote: »
    really?

Do you watch soccer or did you stumble upon the soccer forum by accident! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

go out on loan in jan
    make a long term call then in july

he'll have 3/4 months to show citeh what he can do / or else attract other prospective employers
    really?

:confused:

- City have numerous FA Cup, League Cup and UEFA Cup ties upcoming in the new year. They can't afford to loan him out;
    - wat;

very little premiership action in last 2 yrs
    very hot and cold
    no gaffer would take a big gamble on him at this point
    prob 5m would be a top bid

whereas - if he went out on loan to a lower club who like to play attacking football (arsenal maybe?) he could demonstrate over a few months that (a) city should be starting him more often or (b) that hes a top prem player that should get onto the starting 11 of all other clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    :confused:

- City have numerous FA Cup, League Cup and UEFA Cup ties upcoming in the new year. They can't afford to loan him out;
    - wat;

and the champions leag......oh wait :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

some of the stuff on here does make me laugh.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

oo someone's a moaning Michael this morning :pac:

(said in the voice of graham norton from father ted)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

No he will stay so we can continue to hoard as many awesome players as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

very little premiership action in last 2 yrs
    very hot and cold
    no gaffer would take a big gamble on him at this point
    prob 5m would be a top bid

whereas - if he went out on loan to a lower club who like to play attacking football (arsenal maybe?) he could demonstrate over a few months that (a) city should be starting him more often or (b) that hes a top prem player that should get onto the starting 11 of all other clubs

Im sorry but thats just made me laugh. I know its off topic but Arsenal a Lower club? :eek: :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement