Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upc download limit

• 18-12-2011 7:17pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering guys does anyone know is there a way to view your download limit with upc?
    Like with my last broadband provider you could log onto their website and see how much of your limit you've used up within the month

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

None, without ringing them up to check.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

jor el wrote: »
    None, without ringing them up to check.

Seems like a feature to me they should include

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Seems like a feature to me they should include
    they are perfectly capable of doing it, they just choose not to.

if you only have a single pc then there are several bandwidth monitoring apps that will tell you your (rough) monthly usage.

if you have several pc's then you'll most likely need to get a router (in addition to your upc one) that supports bandwidth monitoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

Download NetWorx. It can monitor the router's usage instead of the computer (I believe). It's free and it's great.

Download NetWorx. It can monitor the router's usage instead of the computer (I believe). It's free and it's great.
    that's the one i was thinking of, i just couldn't remember the name of it. :)

it worked perfectly for me, but others didn't have as much luck getting it to monitor the usage of the router, rather than an individual pc.

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    that's the one i was thinking of, i just couldn't remember the name of it. :)

it worked perfectly for me, but others didn't have as much luck getting it to monitor the usage of the router, rather than an individual pc.

Well there's only one way to find out if it works for you anyway. Download, youtube/google/NetWorx manual for instructions and try it out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Hi guys sorry to bump this.

This month was the first month I did some what I would call serious downloading (it's still under the limit I wager), but when I e-mailed UPC first she said I was on 14gb used and to use a certain tracker. I e-mailed here again last night after downloading at least 100gb and their reply this morning was that I had used on 21.52gb. Am I missing something here?

What's the point them enforcing a limit on us when they can't even tell me properly what is my usage so far?

it may be that they use a script to gather the information on a scheduled basis so it might not have caught up with your usage yet.

try again tomorrow and see wha tthey say then.

it may be that they use a script to gather the information on a scheduled basis so it might not have caught up with your usage yet.

try again tomorrow and see wha tthey say then.

Wil do, thanks.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Do they let you know if you’re approaching your limit? I think with the availability of Netflix this will become more of an issue.

• Advertisement

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Do they let you know if you’re approaching your limit? I think with the availability of Netflix this will become more of an issue.
    nope, (going by past personal experience with it) they just send you a nasty letter telling you that you are negatively affecting your neighbours internet access if you go over the limit and that if you keep going over, they will upgrade you to the next highest package, or if you're on the top package, just double the price.

nope, (going by past personal experience with it) they just send you a nasty letter telling you that you are negatively affecting your neighbours internet access if you go over the limit and that if you keep going over, they will upgrade you to the next highest package, or if you're on the top package, just double the price.

Not true anymore, hence my concern with going over the limit.

In the past where it was 250gb for 20/25mb and then 500gb for 30/50gb (im not sure on the specifics) they upgraded you. Now that every UPC package has the same bandwith limit, they downgrade you to the next lowest package so you're in theory less likely to be able to go over the limit.

I was talking to one of the folks via email and she said she's been asking for a meter to be available to customers fro UPC themselves (ie online) for the past two years and they've told her they're likely to have one available by the end of the year, make of that how you will.

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Not true anymore, hence my concern with going over the limit.

In the past where it was 250gb for 20/25mb and then 500gb for 30/50gb (im not sure on the specifics) they upgraded you. Now that every UPC package has the same bandwith limit, they downgrade you to the next lowest package so you're in theory less likely to be able to go over the limit.

I was talking to one of the folks via email and she said she's been asking for a meter to be available to customers fro UPC themselves (ie online) for the past two years and they've told her they're likely to have one available by the end of the year, make of that how you will.
    well feck it anyway.

although you could still easily go over 500gb limit in a few days with the lowest package if you really tried, so i'm not sure what a downgrade would achieve for them unless you were really hammering it all the time.

I believe what would happen is that you would get a mail from UPC stating that you are over the limit of 500Gb and that if you exceed for another x amount of times(I was told that it was a total of 3 amount of times), they would upgrade you to the business package with more usage limit. I am not too sure about the monthly cost of that package though.

Source: Happened to a friend.

I believe what would happen is that you would get a mail from UPC stating that you are over the limit of 500Gb and that if you exceed for another x amount of times(I was told that it was a total of 3 amount of times), they would upgrade you to the business package with more usage limit. I am not too sure about the monthly cost of that package though.

Source: Happened to a friend.
    it happened to me a couple of times (they send you a letter in the post) when there was a 250gb limit, but Leeg17 is saying that since all the packages now have a 500gb limit, that UPC have taken the route of slowing people down as a punishment instead of making you pay more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

I have a 500gb limit, more than enough.but what I've done is down loaded netmeter and it record s everything you down load.i just, reset it every month so I know exactly how much ive done and how much I've left.

everyone has the 500gb limit now, this was befor ethe new packages came out.

i have a lot of devices connected so I use a router which monitors my usage, a linksys e3000 running a custom 3rd party firmware called tomato which allows me to monitor everything that comes through the router, not just on one PC.

there's also a usage monitor which can be set up on a PC to monitor what your router does directly called NetWorx which is useful if you have more than one PC as long as one of them stays connected all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Interested in this topic too since getting the netflix trial, with 3 of us in the house am worried will go over the 500gb limit for the 1st time this month.
    Not really a techie but looking for a simple solution to monitor bandwith pref on mac.

zef wrote: »
    Interested in this topic too since getting the netflix trial, with 3 of us in the house am worried will go over the 500gb limit for the 1st time this month.
    Not really a techie but looking for a simple solution to monitor bandwith pref on mac.

I've looked around for alternatives of networx for mac and I've seen bitmeter os for mac. It should do the trick, although I would encourage you to try it out step by step.

Step1: Check if it actually works, download something, and see if it recorded that.
    Step2: Check if it records the usage of the router, not just your computer, ie. download something from another computer using your router then check if the bitmeter records it.

You should be ok if step2 gets confirmed. Just don't rely on software too much though and I say this to all because even the strongest could get errors and that stuff.

it happened to me a couple of times (they send you a letter in the post) when there was a 250gb limit, but Leeg17 is saying that since all the packages now have a 500gb limit, that UPC have taken the route of slowing people down as a punishment instead of making you pay more.

This situation happened to a friend with the updated 500gb. So I don't know, best bet is still to ask them if you're really interested in what's going to happen if you go over the limit.

• Advertisement

This situation happened to a friend with the updated 500gb. So I don't know, best bet is still to ask them if you're really interested in what's going to happen if you go over the limit.
    i've been monitoring my usage with my router since i signed up in 2008 and although i used to push the old 250gb limit quite often, based on my current usage i'm never likely to go over 500gb so i'm not all that bothered tbh.

i was actually considering downgrading from 100mbps to the 25mbps package since the cap is the same for everyone now, but with it being only €10 more with phone) it hardly seems worth the small saving.

i was actually considering downgrading from 100mbps to the 25mbps package since the cap is the same for everyone now, but with it being only €10 more with phone) it hardly seems worth the small saving.

We're on the opposite sides then, I'm actually thinking about upgrading to 100Mbps instead of my 25Mbps and get rid of my TV and phone, I would be saving about 10-20 euro I believe and I can always watch anything over the internet anyway(considering that the SOPA s**t doesn't continue). :P

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Macronelf

Netflix is going to kill these limits :(

Macronelf wrote: »
    Netflix is going to kill these limits :(

TPB was quite a lot of steps ahead of them :P

We're on the opposite sides then, I'm actually thinking about upgrading to 100Mbps instead of my 25Mbps and get rid of my TV and phone, I would be saving about 10-20 euro I believe and I can always watch anything over the internet anyway(considering that the SOPA s**t doesn't continue). :P
    100mbps and phone is 5 quid cheaper than 100mbps on its own (to get you to use it and run up a bill), so you'd be better off keeping the phone, even if you don't use it, or better still, don't plug it in to avoid temptation. ;)

100mbps and phone is 5 quid cheaper than 100mbps on its own (to get you to use it and run up a bill), so you'd be better off keeping the phone, even if you don't use it, or better still, don't plug it in to avoid temptation. ;)

Ah cool. Thanks for the advice. Should keep that in mind. At the moment, the phone is plugged in but never really in use so I should be ok with that deal. Thanks again :)

Advertisement