Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new to xbox,need help

Options
  • 18-12-2011 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

ok lads,
    always had a playstation,no console for the last 10 months or so,but getting xbox 250gb for christmas,YESSSSSS,but i would love if one of you guys could do me a list of all i can do with the xbox,outside of straight gaming,ie music tv and nything else i can do with it,wanna get right into it and get the most out of it,i will have gold membership online.

appreciate and thanks in adavance if anyone takes the time to reply,cheers:).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bonesy.

Well my favourite differnece from the playstation is that if you put your music on to it, you can play that in the background while playing the game where as PS3 wouldn't let you play both at the dame time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Also Ps3 does not have party chat

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

whats party chat copper?

I think it does?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

whats party chat copper?

You can talk to all of your friends at once using the headset.(You can all be playing different games but still talk to each other)

• Advertisement

Ah yeh ps3 dosn't do that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

You can stream Youtube video's, use Sky Player, Muzu.tv, you can access Twitter and facebook, rent movies for streaming from the zune store though you have to pay, there are new enough movies there. Skype may be coming to Xbox.

whats sky player?really a novice with all this,sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

whats sky player?really a novice with all this,sorry.

Basically sky go for xbox,

cool lads,cheers for the replies.
    one more question regarding the kinect,how much room do you need for playing this,do you need a big clear space around you,and are the games on it ny good to begin with,like kinect sports and kinect adventures,is it worth buying at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

i've had kinect since it launched and tbh, it's very much a novelty. it only really gets used by herself doing fitness/exercise games.

in saying that though, since the update last week it's quite handy using voice commands to navigate the menu.

you do need a fair bit of space, about 6-8 feet in front of the telly and you'd want a couple of feet on either side of you too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 petepooch

Folks,

Is it possible to play a movie on a laptop and have the xbox pick it up over wifi and play it on the tv?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

petepooch wrote: »
    Folks,

Is it possible to play a movie on a laptop and have the xbox pick it up over wifi and play it on the tv?

Yes windows media centre is integrated into the dashboard or you can play avi files on a memory stick connected to the Xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

petepooch wrote: »
    Folks,

you don't need to play the movie on the laptop, it just needs to be in placed in a shared media folder - windows media player looks after it all for you. the xbox can see the shared folder across the network and thus you can access the file and watch it on your telly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 petepooch

Thanks all appreciate the help will give it a go

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,918 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I've heard you can save a game onto the hard-drive and load it from there - i.e. without putting the disc in. Does that mean I could copy a friends game onto my hard-drive? Could you do that with kinect games aswell??

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SpionJoe

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I've heard you can save a game onto the hard-drive and load it from there - i.e. without putting the disc in. Does that mean I could copy a friends game onto my hard-drive? Could you do that with kinect games aswell??

Good question, I was thinking the same myself. I picked my XBOX up 2 weeks ago but have not opened it yet. I'm sure there is an inbuilt security measure that will not allow you to do this. Hopefully someone else can answer this for us..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

SpionJoe wrote: »
    Good question, I was thinking the same myself. I picked my XBOX up 2 weeks ago but have not opened it yet. I'm sure there is an inbuilt security measure that will not allow you to do this. Hopefully someone else can answer this for us..

No, you can not copy a friends game to the HD, the disc still needs to be inside the console to read it and then start from the HD, sometimes the disc spins for about 30 secs (to verify its legit I would assume) and then stops after.....

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Horsebox9000

The nifty things about installing games to your hard drive if that of your ever scratch a game and it won't load correctly , try ret a copy that game or get a working version from a friend, install it to your hard drive and then your scratched disc will work perfectly. It only needs to disc to check licenses and so on

Advertisement