Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

goshawk missing in bray area

• 18-12-2011 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭

this little girl got away from its handler last week,if anyone comes across her,pm me plz and dont approch her or attempt to trap her
    390233_280915365291839_100001201340072_883704_1552910456_n-1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

Would she have the bell on. I hope you find her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭.243

bogtreader wrote: »
    Would she have the bell on. I hope you find her
    yes.she has two bells attached,
    shes been gone about a week,a good sign she is around is where crows circle in the sky she would be sitting on the tree below them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

I rescued one just like this in bray last year.
    It was trapped in a tree by its leather strap wrapped around a branch.
    It was being dive bombed by crows who were attacking it.
    It was going berserk trying to escape but as I climbed the tree it calmed down
    allowing me to cut the strap around 2 inches from the foot.
    I noticed a lot of feathers missing from the wings.
    After I cut it free it stayed where it was for about 5 minutes then flew away.
    Could it be the same one?

Zebbedee wrote: »
    I rescued one just like this in bray last year.
    It was trapped in a tree by its leather strap wrapped around a branch.
    It was being dive bombed by crows who were attacking it.
    It was going berserk trying to escape but as I climbed the tree it calmed down
    allowing me to cut the strap around 2 inches from the foot.
    I noticed a lot of feathers missing from the wings.
    After I cut it free it stayed where it was for about 5 minutes then flew away.
    Could it be the same one?
    no,this one only got away last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Not sure if this helps at all but I was just on boghall road near ferguls church and I noticed a good few crows stalking. They looked to be tracking something but not sure if it was in the church grounds or the grounds opposite.

WOuld it settle in wooded area as we have a wood behind us so I had a bit of a look around...altough I know we have a buzzard too so not sure if it stay around?

• Advertisement

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    Not sure if this helps at all but I was just on boghall road near ferguls church and I noticed a good few crows stalking. They looked to be tracking something but not sure if it was in the church grounds or the grounds opposite.

WOuld it settle in wooded area as we have a wood behind us so I had a bit of a look around...altough I know we have a buzzard too so not sure if it stay around?
    she'd be definitly settling in a wooded area with cover,crows hate these things thats why you will see them circling high in the air,
    a buzzard wont hang around either,the goshawk is basically a physcopath with wings,
    where is the wooded area around where you are,and how long ago did you see the crows acting strange??

I'm up the top of herbert road so all the area is surround by a belt of woods so it may be worth your friend having a look around...they could ask the embasy to have a look on their grounds.

I saw the crows this afternoon on the boghall but haven't noticed much activity up by us I have to say....haven't seen the buzzard for a few weeks anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

.243 wrote: »
    no,this one only got away last week

Do you know of anyone whose bird returned with the strap cut down to 2 inches or so last year?
    What are goshawks used for as a matter of interest?

I'm up the top of herbert road so all the area is surround by a belt of woods so it may be worth your friend having a look around...they could ask the embasy to have a look on their grounds.

I saw the crows this afternoon on the boghall but haven't noticed much activity up by us I have to say....haven't seen the buzzard for a few weeks anyway.
    thanks for that

Zebbedee wrote: »
    Do you know of anyone whose bird returned with the strap cut down to 2 inches or so last year?
    What are goshawks used for as a matter of interest?
    no i didnt hear anything,
    hunting and vermin control or pets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Really hope you get this back, lovely looking bird!

Any joy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mirhawk

Hi,

We live in Artane and on Christmas Day a hawk like this one chased a young pidgeon into our back sitting room window. When we opened the curtains back, it flew with the pidgeon in its claws to the end of the garden where we video taped it plucking each feather one by one and then eating it. Our family were amazed and just left the hawk to its christmas dinner and once it had eaten enough it flew off with the rest of the carcase.

Any joy?
    no,not as yet

• Registered Users Posts: 24 cllrmcmanus

Saw a post on FB about a hawk taking out pigeons around Raheen Park.

Could this be it? I dont see any leather straps or bells on its legs though.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73631973@N06/6640204221/

Saw a post on FB about a hawk taking out pigeons around Raheen Park.

Could this be it? I dont see any leather straps or bells on its legs though.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73631973@N06/6640204221/

no unfortunatly its not her,that was a sparrow hawk,thanks for the info though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭bdo

Advertisement