Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoke Alarms Compulsory in rented apartments?

Options
  • 18-12-2011 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,

I hope someone has knowledge about this, i can't seem to find a definitive answer.

I was cooking my dinner this evening and heated up the oven and when heated i opened it up and a bit of smoke came out, probably from crumbs burning or something, but i started to panic that the smoke alarm was going to go off. On closer inspection, i realised that there is no smoke alarm anywhere in our apartment.

Should there be one? As in, is it compulsory for landlords to have smoke alarms installed? I only moved into this apartment last week and feel a bit silly for not noticing that there wasn't a smoke alarm, i guess i just assumed that there would be one as there has been one in all my past apartments :rolleyes:

I did a bit of googling and all i can find is references to the age of apartment blocks. I'm unsure as to how old this one is, its not very new anyway.

If anyone has an answer it would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I get the impression yes and it would apply to all multi-occupancy buildings. Minimum of two or three, mains wired and a fire blanket. Kitchens should have heat detectors, not smoke detectors to deal with the type of situation you mentioned.

Mention it to the landlord, if no progress, talk to the inspectors in the housing department of the local council or the fire officer in the fire brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

yes smoke alarm and fire blanket are compulsory for a landlord to provide regardless of what type of property

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

edellc wrote: »
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

yes smoke alarm and fire blanket are compulsory for a landlord to provide regardless of what type of property

Yes, smoke alarms are compulsory:
    HOUSING (STANDARDS FOR RENTED HOUSES) REGULATIONS 2008 and the Housing (Standards for Rented Houses)(Amendment) Regulations 2009.

These Regulations require landlords of rented houses (including flats and maisonettes), with some exceptions, to ensure that such houses meet certain minimum standards.

11. (1) Subject to sub-article (2), the house shall contain a fire blanket and either a mains-wired smoke alarm or at least two 10-year self-contained battery-operated smoke alarms.
    (2) Each self-contained house in a multi-unit building shall contain a mains-wired smoke alarm, a fire blanket and an emergency evacuation plan.
    (3) Emergency lighting shall be provided in all common areas within a multi-unit building.
    Contact your landlord or his agent, in writing (after a phone call if you wish) and give him seven days to fit at least one (depending on whether you are living in an apartment or a house). Keep a copy of the dated letter. Point out that failure to do so will cause the landlord to be in breach of his obligations and that you will be entitled to leave the property. You will also make a claim with the PRTB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

do what he said and in the meantime, buy one - they don't cost much and could very well save you. test them often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

If your home contains a boiler or any other fuel-burning aparatus, you might also consider getting a carbon monoxide alarm. Unlike smoke alarms, I am not sure if these are yet an obliged to be fitted by the landlord but don't let that stop you shelling out. Just look at yesterday's news from Co. Sligo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 ILoveGreen

Thanks everyone, (a very belated reply i know :) )

Got it all sorted in the end :D

Advertisement