Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving house - declutter

Options
  • 18-12-2011 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I'm moving house in a few weeks (staying in lovely Donegal though). I haven't started packing yet but have been doing a lot of looking about the house and trying to figure out the best way to declutter/purge my posessions. I don't want to bin things that could be useful, so I'm trying to figure out what can go to charity/recycle. Anyone have thoughts on my options in the Letterkenny area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

2 words ........ skip .... hire.

And be ruthless.

I moved house a year ago, and all the stuff from House1 was put into a room in House2. Its been there since, untouched. My logic now is "do I really need anything in that room?"

We all gather stuff. Be hard. Look at your things and ask will you really ever need them. If you find yourself saying "sure it might come in useless sometime, bin it now".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Try not to just dump things and if you can, give them away. Try charity shops, free trade sites such as:

www.jumbletown.ie
    www.gumtree.ie
    www.adverts.ie
    www.freetradeireland.ie

Most of what anyone buys is unnecessary, but maybe somebody could use what you don't need, plus it would stop it going to landfill.

My business is furniture removals and the amount of customers I have who claim they never use half the stuff I move for them is huge, plus the fact they are then actually paying to move the stuff they never need :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You can always sell stuff that you might never need. cormie has posted a few good links above or put stuff up in the Dealer.

There's always SVP who will take most unwanted items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Perhaps list unwanted items on here for collection by a certain date or else you bin them?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

This takes me back to last year.. amazing how rubbish breeds.. Had a few warm bonfires but after five moves in as many years, there was nothing to excess.

And yes V de P in Donegal Town benefitted; Colette was always so good to us, bless her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

yourpics wrote: »
    Perhaps list unwanted items on here for collection by a certain date or else you bin them?
    Unfortunately we wouldn't allow that. Our sister site Adverts.ie is the place for it even for items being given away free of charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

muffler wrote: »
    Unfortunately we wouldn't allow that. Our sister site Adverts.ie is the place for it even for items being given away free of charge.

Fair enough, I just got the idea from similiar ads I saw on boards before :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭weeginger

Thanks for the ideas guys, so it looks like the plan is I've to sort through what to keep and what not to keep before christmas. We are having a bit of a session in the house at christmas with "rummage boxes" where friends can take anything they have a use for. What's left will then go to charity shops, universal books in letterkenny and to the recycling. I don't like binning unnecessarily so this way seems to fit the bill of decluttering while also reducing what might otherwise go to the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

Other charity shops in Letterkenny include:
    Wheelchair shop, Port Road (near the theatre)
    God's Shoestrings (near Irwin Electrical)
    and I think the JCF shop in the Market Centre has been replaced by Halo charity shop. Not sure if the Hospice shop is still on the corner of Canal/Pearse Road (opposite Marks)

Clothes will be accepted by all the charity shops and there's also a place near McDonalds that will pay you by the kilo for clothes/shoes/belts/etc. (Don't Bin, Cash In)

You could also try Freecycle or Cheapcycle (http://groups.freecycle.org/Donegal_Freecycle)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

God's Shoestrings is down the wee lane next to where Johnston's hardware once was.

One near Irwins is the cancer charity shop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement