Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Fawn French Bulldog

• 18-12-2011 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

I would like to get a French bulldog, I would prefer to be able to rescue one if anyone knows if there are any that need rehoming, it's a long shot that any of them would be in a dog pound anywhere given they are a ridiculous price to buy but worth a try so if anyone knows I'd be delighted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭callmekenneth

this woman breeds frenchies, armagh area. you'd be doing well to find one in rescue, i've been keeping an eye out myself, she's passionate about the ugly little awesome bastards

http://www.celticlibrid-frenchies.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

I would send an email to all the rescues - (www.irishanimals.ie) I have only seen a couple of frenchies in rescue and no fawn. But if you hold out long enough for almost any breed eventually one will pop up.

The reason that french and english bulldogs are so expensive to buy are because the vast majority of Bulldogs can neither breed, conceive or whelp naturally. The majority if not all females need to have a C section to have the pups, and litters are small. It is risky breeding bulldogs in general because they are difficult to breed. To be honest they would most likely be extinct if not for humans.......which with their massive breathing and health problems Im undecided if that is a good or bad thing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I love French Bulldogs , toss up between them and Italian Greyhounds though both I believe have their own set of health problems and cost a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Any Frenchies I've seen in rescues have tended to be there due to behaviour/aggression issues, if you think about it - for a €2000+ dog sending it to a rescue/pound would be pretty much a last resort for most people. Unless they have fallen on seriously hard times since they bought the dog they would try and work with a behaviourist or sell the dog. I'm not saying this is always the case, but if you find one make sure you investigate it fully before committing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Frenchies sell for €2000 a pup? Wow. I have to say I prefer the Boston Terrier.

• Advertisement

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Frenchies sell for €2000 a pup? Wow. I have to say I prefer the Boston Terrier.

Breeders need an on-call vet 24-7 as pups almost always have to be born by caesarian section as previously said. I'd imagine they also need to be under constant supervision as all times in case they they go into labour early etc. very risky and stressful business for all concerned. Not worth it all imho.

Do Bostons and other smaller breeds have similar issues?

Looks like there are quite a few breeds which require c sections.
    http://www.helium.com/items/2104179-dog-breeds-most-likely-to-require-a-c-section-for-delivery

I'm not sure about boston's in particular but it's not so much the 'size' of the dog but the width of the shoulders in relation to the bitches pelvis (ie. breeds that are wide in front with narrow hips)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

The one I've got here was £3500 as a 4 months old pup, owner waited 3 years for a pup from this particular breeder an pairing. He collected the pup in the UK, so more costs. Brought him home, and 3 weeks later thought he was playing to rough with his Frenchie bitch and thought he might mark her and *render her useless for showing*.

Next thing he knows, expensive Frenchie finds himself surrendered to rescue.

People make me sick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

EGAR wrote: »
    The one I've got here was £3500 as a 4 months old pup, owner waited 3 years for a pup from this particular breeder an pairing. He collected the pup in the UK, so more costs. Brought him home, and 3 weeks later thought he was playing to rough with his Frenchie bitch and thought he might mark her and *render her useless for showing*.

Next thing he knows, expensive Frenchie finds himself surrendered to rescue.

People make me sick.

Leaving aside the whole notion of abandoning an annimal it is extraordinary that someone would so quickly write off 3,500 Euro like that.

Is the normal protocol or etiquette in these situations not for the dog to be returned to the breeder ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Delancey wrote: »
    Leaving aside the whole notion of abandoning an annimal it is extraordinary that someone would so quickly write off 3,500 Euro like that.

Is the normal protocol or etiquette in these situations not for the dog to be returned to the breeder ?

Only two breeders have taken their dogs back in the last 3 years. One was from NI and the other from the UK, both were Staffies abandoned by the (same) owner.

And it was 3500 Pound Sterling, not Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭crazyFeet

EGAR wrote: »
    Only two breeders have taken their dogs back in the last 3 years. One was from NI and the other from the UK, both were Staffies abandoned by the (same) owner.

And it was 3500 Pound Sterling, not Euro.

celtic frenchie kennel take their dogs back, it says on their web site

Advertisement