Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stihl MS 290

Options
  • 18-12-2011 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

There's one on Donedeal for Eur 200 but I'm not sure if it's fake or not?

How can I tell?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ci985

Dude check out stihl online and you willl see if its a fake!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Justjens

Seems too good to be true, €200? That saw is €600 new: http://hourigans.ie/chainsaws.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭txpjl

Justjens wrote: »
    Seems too good to be true, €200? That saw is €600 new: http://hourigans.ie/chainsaws.htm

I hear ya. But my brother in law will be very close tomorrrow and will take a look anyway. He has a Husqvarna but will start it and open the top off to check the plug and stuff.

I just wanted to get any titbits that he could look for etc.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Justjens

As with any petrol driven tool, check compression. The casings are all plastic, make sure they're intact, sprocket, bar and chain are all easily replaced.
    This is a semi prof saw, so that sort of money would make me suspicious, it may even be hot......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Its a fake. The real MS290 has an orange handle.
    Professional Stihl saws have white handles and the MS290 isn't a pro saw.
    Plus the bar has STIHL in non genuine lettering, and the starter cover has the wrong holes in it.
    Walk Run away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭txpjl

Thanks guys. I called the BiL and told him to forget it.

I see a new 290 Farm Boss on Ebay in the UK for £450 with a case for the complete saw. Maybe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

txpjl wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I called the BiL

You should call the other 'bill' aswel (aka 'an Garda shicamoloney')

Use your head. Who sells a new saw that's worth €600 for €200? It's either a fake or stolen. Both are illegal.

You might think you'I be saving an arm and a leg by buying it, but it could be the other way around (:p.... sorry I just could't resist!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Bought a fake Stihl saw at Tuamgraney Sunday market last spring. Brought it to Hogans in Ennis to get fixed but it was useless. Got a second hand Stihl saw from Hogan;s which has been a pleasure to use.
    Cost 350 but has more than paid for itself in firewood.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

A few years ago I saw these fake stihl chainsaws for sale on ebay for €17+ postage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Sam Kade wrote: »
    A few years ago I saw these fake stihl chainsaws for sale on ebay for €17+ postage.

My sister bought one for my father a few years back. It cost about €100 inc. postage. The first day he had it, he was carrying it in the transport box, accidently tipped it out and reversed over it :D:D:D

It was like a pancake. Probably the safest way to have it. ;););)
    There did come a good oregon chain with it though!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

reilig wrote: »
    My sister bought one for my father a few years back. It cost about €100 inc. postage. The first day he had it, he was carrying it in the transport box, accidently tipped it out and reversed over it :D:D:D

It was like a pancake. Probably the safest way to have it. ;););)
    There did come a good oregon chain with it though!!
    They probably had the inards taken out of it before selling it :D He was lucky though as they are so badly made they are lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

txpjl wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I called the BiL and told him to forget it.

I see a new 290 Farm Boss on Ebay in the UK for £450 with a case for the complete saw. Maybe :D

One on Donedeal for 450 euro 46days so may be gone with a spare chain and all, looks decent enough. Here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Bought a fake Stihl saw at Tuamgraney Sunday market last spring. Brought it to Hogans in Ennis to get fixed but it was useless. Got a second hand Stihl saw from Hogan;s which has been a pleasure to use.
    Cost 350 but has more than paid for itself in firewood.

when I was looking to buy last year pretty much anyone I spoke to in the trade reckoned those chinese knockoff saws were the best thing to ever happen their business. lads would realise the value of a proper saw when their €200 shtill died after 20 minutes work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

Bought a new ms291 with 16" bar from local dealer for 480e + vat during the summer. Great saw, low vibs and not heavy when using it a lot.
    Better to buy new as any that I've seen 2nd hand have their work done.
    Looked into buying in UK and price difference isnt there to jusify.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 091chippy

i bought a new ms290 farm boss 20" with case for €340 on ebay last winter:p including postage from a stihl dealer in florida great saw for knocking big trees

Advertisement