Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inside Exterior Walls Paint bubbleing around Moist Patches

• 18-12-2011 10:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭

We are finding Large Wet patches on Interior walls Usually the corners of Exterior walls... Have checked the attic, Well insulated, but it has no Felt and I can see some "light" between some tiles...HOWEVER I found no Moisture.
    Its an Old Cottage. Most of these Walls are also "Dry lined" about 10 years so I was told...An Ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,452 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is moisture behind the paint that is evaporating when the interior is heated up.he paint is semi-porous and being lifted off the surface by the evaporated moisture.

Make sure the interior gets properly ventilated, especially when there is moisture-intense activities like washing and cooking. The dry lining may not have been done all that well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Victor wrote: »
    There is moisture behind the paint that is evaporating when the interior is heated up.he paint is semi-porous and being lifted off the surface by the evaporated moisture.

Make sure the interior gets properly ventilated, especially when there is moisture-intense activities like washing and cooking. The dry lining may not have been done all that well.

Windows are being left open fully most of the time (Weather Permiting) and one of the rooms has a Wood burner burning most days...(Again with Window open slightly) and have installed Carbon Monoxide and smoke detectors (moisture in this room was "Browish" in colour was afraid it was from Flue...)

Should I need to re-dry line these walls ?

I believe the house has no Damp proof membrane (Pre 40's construction)

Would insulating the Exterior walls help in any of this???..

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

jezko wrote: »
    Windows are being left open fully most of the time (Weather Permiting) and one of the rooms has a Wood burner burning most days...(Again with Window open slightly) and have installed Carbon Monoxide and smoke detectors (moisture in this room was "Browish" in colour was afraid it was from Flue...)

Should I need to re-dry line these walls ?

I believe the house has no Damp proof membrane (Pre 40's construction)

Would insulating the Exterior walls help in any of this???..

Thanks
    have a read here, dry-lining is not the best option in a pre cavity house. you also need to deal with ventilation as part of your overall insulation strategy. i would recommend you read this and if you can, tackle the house in a holistic manner: you clearly don't have enough permanent ventilation in the walls but at the samew time the cold wall surfaces are not helping.

Advertisement