Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

slippy blacktop

Options
  • 18-12-2011 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Was looking for opinions from experts and this seems as good a place as any. A lot of the resurfacing jobs I've seen in recent years has a very smooth blacktop finish which is fine for thepst part but has very poor grip in icy or wet conditions compared to some older more course finishes.
    Is this taken into account when specing out road surfaces? Which is more expensive and is there any difference in the surfaces from a safety pov.?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The newer surfaces last longer and can be resurfaced when the time comes more reliably and quicker. Not sure of the initial cost, imagine its higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i'm not sure a smoother surface would be more slippery. The grip depends on the amount of tyre in contact with the tarmac and the coarser the finish, the less tyre in contact. my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Hi,
    Was looking for opinions from experts and this seems as good a place as any. A lot of the resurfacing jobs I've seen in recent years has a very smooth blacktop finish which is fine for thepst part but has very poor grip in icy or wet conditions compared to some older more course finishes.
    Is this taken into account when specing out road surfaces? Which is more expensive and is there any difference in the surfaces from a safety pov.?
    I am no expert but if it is a Hot Rolled Asphalt (HRA) surface, high PSV (polished stone value) chippings are used to give resistance to skidding. AFAIK a PSV of 60 or higher should be used. Skid resistance is taken into account when, as well as traffic volumes, speeds, drainage, etc. Some evenings for the last week it rained in the evening and then the temperature dropped to freezing. I am not sure if PSV chips will make any difference if there is a sheet of ice between the tyres and the road surface. If the road is still slippy when wet, but not freezing, it is probably to do with chips with a PSV that is too low being used.

Advertisement