Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should 5 60W candle bulbs provide same light as one 100W normal bulb?

Options
  • 18-12-2011 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hi

My fairly large living room currently has a standard light fitting, for one bulb. I normally use a 100W bulb, as I like to have a bright room.

I'm about to replace it with a snazzier 5 bulb light fitting, which is marked as max 60W. On unpacking the fitting, I've realised that the fittings will only take SES sized bulbs, so I'll be limited to using 60W candle bulbs.

My question is this: For anyone who actually has a similar type of fitting, do you find it would provide, overall, the same level of light as one 100W bulb? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

cant speak for the bulbs but 300w is a lot of light in one spot and if not a lot of light certainly a lot of juice and wont be anywhere near an equivalent 300w halogen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yes, it will provide more.

The average lumens per watt for a 60w bulb is 8.73, while it's 10.43 for a 100w bulb. So, 8.73 x 60 x 5 = 2619 lumens, versus 100 x 10.43 = 1043 lumens for one 100w bulb.

You may consider getting a dimmer switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

Hi guys

Thanks very much for the feedback.

Do you know if a 60W "candle" bulb does actually provide the same level of light as a normal 60W bulb?

Sorry if this seems a silly question. I've never used the candle bulbs before, but had an idea that they were weaker.

Advertisement