Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor/alarm

Options
  • 18-12-2011 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure where exactly to put this. I need some sort of call system in the house so that an elderly person can call for help up to another bedroom if required say in the middle of the night. What should I be looking for?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had the same problem when my mother was nursing my father at home. We thought about a baby monitor but the person on the other end would hear every little movement and wouldn't get much sleep. In the end we got a good set of walkie talkies and they worked out very well. Even if the elderly person isn't able to work the talking part well, all they have to do is press the button and it will make the other one beep. The set we got cost about 45 euro in Smyths.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

He has limited use of his hands also but I might try out that suggestion thank you :)

Some sort of buzzer/intercom thing might work also.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

A wireless doorbell maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭altor

fits wrote: »
    I'm not sure where exactly to put this. I need some sort of call system in the house so that an elderly person can call for help up to another bedroom if required say in the middle of the night. What should I be looking for?

Something like this might suit.

altor wrote: »
    Something like this might suit.

Oh thank you! That looks good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

we used a referees whistle when my mother was ill- it would wake someone from the deepest sleep!

Not sure that would work here. Ancient house, thick walls and a good distance between the rooms in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

An Occupational Therapist should be able to advise, or chat with one of the charities such as Age Action - they may be able to suggest a device that would suit.

Advertisement