Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i buy a 3ds?

Options
  • 18-12-2011 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

Ive been thinking of purchasing a nintendo 3ds but am uncertain. Are there many good games available? The only games ive seen that i would like are the new mario game, ocarino of time and the new resi game. Im not sure whether to spend 200 odd euro on it for the sake of 3 or 4 games. Any advice would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's worth it just for Super Mario 3D Land.

And it's only the beginning too..there are lots more great games to come.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

How much are they now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

How much are they now?

About €150 on its own.

Master of the Universe

About €180 or so I think?

Games are stupidly expensive, but if you get them online (Gamestop.ie for example) they can be had far cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

so what games ye recommend getting for it lads? ive only zelda and a few ds games at the moment (havnt even had time for the thing yet with skyrim)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

About €150 on its own.

Nice, cheaper than I thought

http://www.gamestop.ie/42176_Nintendo_3DS_Nintendo_3DS_Metallic_Red.aspx

And to think I got a good offer when mine was €207 last January!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    It's worth it just for Super Mario 3D Land.

And it's only the beginning too..there are lots more great games to come.

ive heard mario land 3d is amazing but for the console and the game your talking about 220euro. Hard to justifycthat sort of money for one game surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

da gamer wrote: »
    ive heard mario land 3d is amazing but for the console and the game your talking about 220euro. Hard to justifycthat sort of money for one game surely?

Look around for deal, get the game and holder and all that jazz thrown in.

Master of the Universe

so what games ye recommend getting for it lads? ive only zelda and a few ds games at the moment (havnt even had time for the thing yet with skyrim)

Super Mario 3D Land - best game on the system so far.
    Mario Kart 7.
    Starfox 64 3D if you can get it cheap.
    Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars is like Advance Wars. Tis brilliant.

The 3D classics titles on the 3DS store are worth downloading. As is Zen Pinball 3D.

Master of the Universe

Here you go, €199 for both.

http://www.gamestop.ie/42901_Nintendo_3DS_3DS_Ice_White__Super_Mario_3D_Land.aspx

Which seems good to me.

An original console outlay is always expensive. When you bought your 360/PS3, did you say 'X amount of money is a lot for a 360 and Halo/whatever?' - no, as you knew you'd eventually buy more games :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Here you go, €199 for both.

http://www.gamestop.ie/42901_Nintendo_3DS_3DS_Ice_White__Super_Mario_3D_Land.aspx

Which seems good to me.

An original console outlay is always expensive. When you bought your 360/PS3, did you say 'X amount of money is a lot for a 360 and Halo/whatever?' - no, as you knew you'd eventually buy more games :P

Actually i did think my xbox was expensibe when buying it! But ya i knew alot of good games would be released for it. Im not so sure if the same will be said for the 3ds though. Will it be a case of only 2 or 3 good games being released for it every year? If im spending 150 - 200 euro on it id like to have a good library of games for it thats all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

imo there's absolutely no point in buying it at the moment. if the quality of games sees the massive increase it desperately needs in the next 12 months, then it might be. the sooner developers start dropping the 3d side of things and just use the extra power to build better and more complex games the quicker it'll regain some value imo

Master of the Universe

Actually i did think my xbox was expensibe when buying it! But ya i knew alot of good games would be released for it. Im not so sure if the same will be said for the 3ds though. Will it be a case of only 2 or 3 good games being released for it every year? If im spending 150 - 200 euro on it id like to have a good library of games for it thats all.

Best to look at the impending lineup and see if it contains games you'll enjoy.

Two I'm really looking forward to

Beyond Labyrinth

Kid Icarus

Helix wrote: »
    imo there's absolutely no point in buying it at the moment. if the quality of games sees the massive increase it desperately needs in the next 12 months, then it might be. the sooner developers start dropping the 3d side of things and just use the extra power to build better and more complex games the quicker it'll regain some value imo

Do you own one?

I come across a lot of people saying this, but they don't own one.

As someone who does own one, I can say that maybe two months ago, I'd have said the exact same.

However, now it's all starting to really kick off with the console and I can 100% say it's worth owning.

Epecially after the huge price drop and the release of Mario 3D Land. (And to a lesser degree, Mario Kart 7)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Two I'm really looking forward to

Beyond Labyrinth

If that game comes out looking like that (which i doubt) then i will definitely pick one up. The graphics of the PS3 have ruined my expectations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭gizmorox

Ive been thinking of purchasing a nintendo 3ds but am uncertain. Are there many good games available? The only games ive seen that i would like are the new mario game, ocarino of time and the new resi game. Im not sure whether to spend 200 odd euro on it for the sake of 3 or 4 games. Any advice would be great

Certainly not a gaming expert myself:D but my 14 year old son is,my friend bought one for her child,I told my son this and he said they're not as good as advertised,he reckons people should wait until Nintendo improve it,few teething problems apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Do you own one?

I come across a lot of people saying this, but they don't own one.

i dont own one personally, but as a games journo i have access to one whenever i need to review anything on the format

Master of the Universe

If that game comes out looking like that (which i doubt) then i will definitely pick one up. The graphics of the PS3 have ruined my expectations!

Pah, graphics me arse, a good game is a good game. As long as the art direction is good and original then it's fine by me! I'd much rather original gameplay and design.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Starfox 64 3D if you can get it cheap.

Currently €24.99 in Game. I grabbed it on Saturday.

Master of the Universe

Mr E wrote: »
    Currently €24.99 in Game. I grabbed it on Saturday.

Nice! That's all it's worth to be honest. It's a great update of a great game, but I can't help but feel completely ripped off after paying full price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The 3DS looks like it is going pretty well this holiday season.
    The only thing that should hold one back is the almost certain redesign or at least an XL version this year.
    The software library is developing well with a notable absence, thus far, of a myriad of minigame collections.
    Also, there seem to be some titles, Cave Story 3D being the one I'm after, that are quite rare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Mario kart 7
    Super Mario 3D Land
    Zelda: Ocarina of Time (if you haven't played it before/want to play it again)

Also get an eshop card and buy:
    Pullblox.
    Zen Pinball 3D.

And there's lots of other downloads available, classic retro titles, "DSiWare" (including versions of Tetris/Bomberman/etc, each only like a fiver!) and newer 3DS download software will be added on a near weekly basis :) (Freakyforms may be worth a look if you're interested in creating things, Mighty Switch Force looks like a great little platformer and is available from Thursday on :) )
    Should be a steady enough flow of download titles :)

Advertisement