Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss playing favorites

Options
  • 19-12-2011 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

We got a new young girl joining our team this year. She's replacing the boss's favorite who transferred to another department. This girl also quickly became the golden girl but now this is even worse. She is bossy and demanding, always acting on the boss's order, and backstabbing us when we made mistakes, but the boss adores her. We cannot really complain because the boss is always on her side and everyone acknowledges her hard work but I have to admit she really works hard. We can clearly tell that the boss is playing favorites and gives her a new computer and buys her food. The boss loves her so much that we always suspect something going on between the two.
    What I don't like the most about this girl is when we made mistakes she'll tell the entire office. She's whiny that I was surfing on craiglist while she's working hard, purposedly loud enough to make sure the boss could hear that. Also we are all afraid that she's taking on more responsibilities that will eventually leave us all jobless. My team leader, also her supervisor (she doesnt report to the boss directly), is already getting questions from boss of what he had been working on and left all works for her to do. Recently we are doing annual budgeting project and she took on the project almost singlehandedly which last year me and the supervisor and her predecessor did it as a team. That left me doing nothing for that project, which I've been doing for the past few years.
    The annual performance review is coming up so should I bring up the issue with this girl or should I keep quiet? Also what's the best way to get that girl off of me so that I can keep my job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,516 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It really kind of sounds as though you are peeved that she has come in and disturbed your cosy little doss. Not a lot you can do about that, except, perhaps, shake your feathers and get a bit of work done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

JM00821 wrote: »
    We got a new young girl joining our team this year. She's replacing the boss's favorite who transferred to another department. This girl also quickly became the golden girl but now this is even worse. She is bossy and demanding, always acting on the boss's order, and backstabbing us when we made mistakes, but the boss adores her. We cannot really complain because the boss is always on her side and everyone acknowledges her hard work but I have to admit she really works hard. We can clearly tell that the boss is playing favorites and gives her a new computer and buys her food. The boss loves her so much that we always suspect something going on between the two.
    What I don't like the most about this girl is when we made mistakes she'll tell the entire office. She's whiny that I was surfing on craiglist while she's working hard, purposedly loud enough to make sure the boss could hear that. Also we are all afraid that she's taking on more responsibilities that will eventually leave us all jobless. My team leader, also her supervisor (she doesnt report to the boss directly), is already getting questions from boss of what he had been working on and left all works for her to do. Recently we are doing annual budgeting project and she took on the project almost singlehandedly which last year me and the supervisor and her predecessor did it as a team. That left me doing nothing for that project, which I've been doing for the past few years.
    The annual performance review is coming up so should I bring up the issue with this girl or should I keep quiet? Also what's the best way to get that girl off of me so that I can keep my job?

I'd be quite happy to offer you some useful advice if I didn't think the whole story was made up to get a reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

I'd be quite happy to offer you some useful advice if I didn't think the whole story was made up to get a reaction.

I'll second that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

She sounds like a dreadful employee...

Busy, hard working, doing a good job, reports mistakes to management, can do the job of three of ye...

Yep she's some piece of work all right...

Can't understand what management would see in her above the rest of ye..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Use it to motivate you OP

I'm no star employee, I make mistakes and my appraisals are not stunning

But when I see staff clearing more work then me then I'll go all out to beat them.
    No new hire will do more then me dammit so I'll kill myself to clear every bit of work I can.
    If my boss wants to reassign my work to someone else I'll take control, it's my work, I'll take ownership of it and I can do it better then anyone.
    And it makes the day fly by and keeps you entertained. I don't tell people I'm racing, just a little game I play in my head

You are responsible for your career OP
    If you wanted to do the project then you should have taken control and pushed yourself forward and convinced your boss you could do it.
    If you want the team leader job you have to do everything and more at a high level

Sounds to me you had a nice little routine, set in your ways and she has shook it up

Don't get angry and bitter and sit back and bitch about successful people. That makes you a loser. Just copy them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Will you be able to keep your job ????????

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The boss loves her so much that we always suspect something going on between the two.
    Sounds like jealousy to be honest. Catty girls in the workplace gang up on the one who is actually doing some work and getting good feedback. If what she said about you making mistakes and surfing the net was false then you can complain. Otherwise stop encouraging the other people in the office to make up gossip about her relationship to your boss (real classy by the way. also bullying behaviour) and get on with your own work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Our own little golden boy got promoted last week. Grade A1 suck up of a chap who is weak to say the least in the areas that really matter. Personally, I wish the chap good luck as he is no threat to me. The others lads in his area, who are far stronger than him to be fair, are going to give him a very rough ride. If they played the suck up game a little, they would pass him out in no time.

Advertisement