Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Cocktails

Options
  • 19-12-2011 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Anyone make a few cocktails around Christmas? Looking for ones to do, any suggestions? I have a selection of different alcohol so should be able to do a lot of things. I want to narrow it down to 2 or 3 and just make them ones on the night.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

What have you got already?

A Bramble is Gin, Chambord, squeeze of lemon and a little sugar syrup shaken and poured over crushed ice is delicious and easy to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Pin Coladas - snow in a glass:

Bacardi (white rum) - 1lt
    Malibu (coconut rum) - 70cl
    Pineapple juice - 1-2lt
    Fresh cream - 200mls

Place contents into blender ( amend quantities as required) with ice.

Sprinkle white (caster) sugar on a plate & dampen the rim of glasses & coat with sugar, pour in mixture & enjoy a truely warming White Christmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

I'll post proper recipes tomorrow if ye want but for now:

Egg nog - eggs, sugar, milk, cream, rum, brandy + spices to taste
    Mulled wine - claret, lemon and orange peel, cinnamon sticks + spices to taste
    Christmas in a Glass - gingerbread syrup and prosecco/cheap fizzy wine

The key trick is to make something that has a bit of warmth to it and is perhaps a bit sweet. A proper martini wouldn't really do as a seasonal drink but anything that has some sort of mixed spice/cinnamon aroma to it works a treat. You can buy things like pear brandy (or you could try make some) and heated up or mixed would be nice.

Can you post what spirits you have to hand and we could recommend something more specific?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

I'll post proper recipes tomorrow if ye want but for now:

Egg nog - eggs, sugar, milk, cream, rum, brandy + spices to taste
    Mulled wine - claret, lemon and orange peel, cinnamon sticks + spices to taste
    Christmas in a Glass - gingerbread syrup and prosecco/cheap fizzy wine

Can you post what spirits you have to hand and we could recommend something more specific?
    Whiskey (Irish), Vodka, Rum, Brandy.

Off the top of my head, liqueurs I have are Amaretto, Creme de Menthe, Creme de Cassis, Galliano, Creme de Cacao, blue Curacao, Cointreau.

I also have Angostura Bitters.

I'd be interested in trying the egg nog, would it be egg whites, yolks or both? And how many in ratio to the other ingredients?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

egg nog is great i made some last night its like a nutmegy rummy bailies with a foamy texture
    • 4 egg yolks
    • 1/3 cup sugar
    • 1 pint whole milk
    • 1 cup double cream
    • 3 mesures rum (i used havana special dark rum)
    • 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    • 4 egg whites
    1 whisk egg whites with a tsp of caster sugar till fluffy set aside
    2 whisk egg yokes till pale and creamy and slow add sugar then the milk cream and rum and fold in eggwhites
    chill and serve

i added the nutmeg to the mixer rather than sprinkle ontop and it gave a great flvour

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Bumping this pre-Christmas thread :pac:

Trying to find this for a good while now :o

advocaat.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advocaat

Any ideas where I can get this in Dublin ?

Cheers

i know supervalu in balbriggan has it so i would assume that they all would. it is however on the bottom shelf under the fancy bottle gift bags and bottle openers so may take a bit of looking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Thanks for that

My niece actually works for SuperValu in Tallaght,I'd better contact her now :pac:

Again Cheers and Happy Christmas !!!!

happy to help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 markmcgrath086

Here are a few I made up last year.

The Grinch -
    Vodka
    Midori
    Pineapple Juice

Snow Flake -
    Vanilla Vodka