Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMYTH toys

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kuchma2000

...but I don't think many get too involved that they try to rip off customers...

I didn't say that

... the person accepting the payment couldn't give a flying fcuk if you're getting bargains or being ripped off...

100% agree with that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

kuchma2000 wrote: »
    just go to Dunnes, Tesco or M&S and look at their offers, if its says "Buy 1 get 1 FREE" that is exactly what it means.

I find in the supermarkets that you have to be very careful to pick up the items that are on special offer. Several times I've picked up special offers and when I check the bar code they are different to the offered item but in a similar place, since it's the companies stock on special.

You need to carefully read the offers and make sure your picking the correct items and in supermarkets I've sometimes found the non offer was better value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I was in smyths the weekend before last and there were a load of toys reduced from 12.99 to 7.99.

2 days later I went in to get them and the price had gone back up for the christmas rush :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I did a price comparison between Amazon, Toys r Us and Smyths for the kids stuff and Smyths won by about 5% on Amazon and a whopping 12% on Toys r Us. Op, you have to read the offers beyond the headline to get the full value of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

That Asterix ( * ) after "3 for 2*" means there are terms and conditions. Smyths did not rip you off.
    if something has an asterix after it, always look for the terms and conditions as it always refers to certain items only

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

This is pretty weird that you would think !!!!!SMYTHS!!!!!! is trying to rip you off. I actually laughed reading some of your posts. :eek:

Smyths is a fantastic Irish toyshop. It is competitive with its pricing and has a great selection.:)

I have three kids and have shopped many times there. My youngest still had a few bits 'santa' had to get for him, however we were all struck down with flu so I ordered online late sat eve.

The whole order arrived first thing this morning, and guess what?? I am really happy with items and the price I paid and I wasnt !!!!!!RIPPED OFF!!!!!!!!!

You should relax and have your self a merry little christmas.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

why are you buying monopoly or connect 4 anyways... most kids think those games are crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The only issue I had was when buying some baby stuff, the same products did have different prices on them. I bought 2 head huggers, they scanned at the higher but the person reduced them straight away to the lower price when she saw that was the price on the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Nothingbetter2d - If you have nothing helpful to add, then please don't contribute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

My latest experience with smyths lately didn't impress me either. I was heading north bound this week so was pricing around. One particular toy I was after is £61.99 in the smyths over the border and €91.99 here. I emailed them to ask them why the huge difference in price as I would buy as much as possible here. Most of the time prices between both are quite similar I always found so rather than haul them all the way and state of economy etc I buy them here. Their answer was vat and other overheads. That much of a difference in price is just milking us if you ask me because I have never seen a difference like that between their stores before.

why are you buying monopoly or connect 4 anyways... most kids think those games are crap.

I used to play with my friend all the time - thought my kids would like it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

kuchma2000 wrote: »
    I used to play with my friend all the time - thought my kids would like it too.

They might do. Don't listen to any body who says "most kids". Some kids like reading, some like playing football, some like playstation, some like board games

You know your kids better than some anonymous internet poster

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

smash wrote: »
    I was in smyths the weekend before last and there were a load of toys reduced from 12.99 to 7.99.

2 days later I went in to get them and the price had gone back up for the christmas rush :confused::confused:

And you think that is Smyths fault? :rolleyes:

I presume Smyths are like every other large store and have offers running between certain dates. These dates are usually printed beneath the offer heading. Usually something along the lines of "Offer ends on 15/12/11"

If you had checked you wouldn't be so put out. Smyths don't telepathically know you're coming back to get them week after next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

And you think that is Smyths fault? :rolleyes:

I presume Smyths are like every other large store and have offers running between certain dates. These dates are usually printed beneath the offer heading. Usually something along the lines of "Offer ends on 15/12/11"

If you had checked you wouldn't be so put out. Smyths don't telepathically know you're coming back to get them week after next.

No, it just said prices slashed. I wouldn't mind but some of the toys in the range were still half price.

Like their 3 for 2 offer

Dodge wrote: »
    They might do. Don't listen to any body who says "most kids". Some kids like reading, some like playing football, some like playstation, some like board games

You know your kids better than some anonymous internet poster

My kids do not have game console - I don't think this is the most important thing.

Board games good because it is not just for kids - whole family can play.

The discussion of board games is not relevant to this topic.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 9 BillyBobs

In Smyths Carrickmines today they have a Vtech electronic world Globe with each country having a raised highlighted button with their countries name on it sadly Ireland and england are on the same button and listed together as

"The United Kingdom"

I said it to the manager that this was highly insulting she agreed it was out of order but refused to take them off the shelves.

The really mind numbing thing is this toy is probably sold all over the world.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I'm need to find out if I am able to leave college (one year plc) and claim social welfare ?

He would probably lose his job!

Write to Vtech, its just the software, it could be easily changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

BillyBobs wrote: »
    In Smyths Carrickmines today they have a Vtech electronic world Globe with each country having a raised highlighted button with their countries name on it sadly Ireland and england are on the same button and listed together as

"The United Kingdom"

I said it to the manager that this was highly insulting she agreed it was out of order but refused to take them off the shelves.

The really mind numbing thing is this toy is probably sold all over the world.

:(

It's the Vtech company you'd want to email about something like that. Not giving some poor manager in Smyths grief about it. Sure she is just doing her job, the manufacture of toys is nothing to do with her.

Did you expect her to say "right away sir"?

Email the company and let them know their mistake. They might not have considered it, it may well have been drafted by someone who never heard of Ireland :D. I doubt it was an intententional insult on the part of Vtech.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Did you check to ensure the two Sudans where on it?

OK - this is an old thread, and I'm closing it.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement