Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has the iPhone 4 16 gb been discontinued?

• 19-12-2011 3:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭

As per the title I'm wondering has the iPhone 4 16gb been discontinued?

The reason I ask is that my iPhone 4 was lost a few days ago and I'm waiting on the insurance claim to be sorted out with Vodafone. Thing is I was going to buy the 4s from apple and sell the phone I get from the insurance to my brother. Looking at the site I noticed apple don't sell the 16 gb version of the 4 anymore. I'm now left with the thought that the insurance may send me a 4s instead as no 16 gb 4s available.

Has anyone here done a claim for an iPhone 4 in the last few weeks on Vodafone? What did you get back? A 4 or a 4s?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

As per the title I'm wondering has the iPhone 4 16gb been discontinued?

The reason I ask is that my iPhone 4 was lost a few days ago and I'm waiting on the insurance claim to be sorted out with Vodafone. Thing is I was going to buy the 4s from apple and sell the phone I get from the insurance to my brother. Looking at the site I noticed apple don't sell the 16 gb version of the 4 anymore. I'm now left with the thought that the insurance may send me a 4s instead as no 16 gb 4s available.

Has anyone here done a claim for an iPhone 4 in the last few weeks on Vodafone? What did you get back? A 4 or a 4s?

You'll get back an iPhone 4, they usually keep stock for replacement purposes.

You'll have to sell it and then buy the 4S, but yes it is discontinued the 16GB iPhone 4. But introduced an 8GB iPhone 4 model when the 16GB,32GB and 64GB iPhone 4S was released.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

They still have 8GB iPhone 4 I think, would be very unfair you give you a smaller hd model tho. would be nice if they sent a 4s tho. Hmm lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

To be honest I wouldn't accept an 8 gb as its a lesser model. Hopefully when I ring this morning they'll have news. But I do believe the 4s is out of stock so I could be waiting a while.

Either way I'll get one be it a 4 or 4s. In saying that my Xperia play is doing a fantastic job at the moment. I dare say the battery is a lot better than the iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

You won't get a 4s

You won't get a 4s

Not 100% sure on that. Was in touch with the insurance people and the claim is approved but they're out of stock of the iPhones so offered me some other phones or wait a little. They haven't said I'd get a 4s specifically but The chap did say the model i had has been superceeded so an equivalent phone would be got. I did mention to him that I did not want nor would accept an 8 gb version.

Looks like its the xperia for Xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Chrismvideo

Last November I had my iPhone stolen. I had Vodafone insurance whom I called to put in a claim. My claim was approved straight away but it took 9 weeks to get my phone replaced as they said they were out of stock. Once you get ur phone cancel ur insurance with Vodafone as they are useless!! I now have my insurance with my bank who had my phone replaced within 24hrs the last time I broke it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

To be honest I wouldn't accept an 8 gb as its a lesser model. Hopefully when I ring this morning they'll have news. But I do believe the 4s is out of stock so I could be waiting a while.

Either way I'll get one be it a 4 or 4s. In saying that my Xperia play is doing a fantastic job at the moment. I dare say the battery is a lot better than the iPhone.

I personally wouldn't say that just because it has less space it's a 'lesser' model. It functions the exact same as the 16GB model.

I went to buy an iPhone 4 16GB (not 4s), but they'd none and I needed a phone so just bought the 8GB model.

It's fine. I normally only put 3-600 songs on my iPhone at anyone time, still plently of space for apps.

I've found that having less space is better as I'm not always trying to fill it up and have been using much better streaming solutions of late. It's great. Would never bother paying for more space in future. And when I buy an iPad it'll be the one with the least space.

Just thought I'd share my experience in case they give you an 8GB! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Last November I had my iPhone stolen. I had Vodafone insurance whom I called to put in a claim. My claim was approved straight away but it took 9 weeks to get my phone replaced as they said they were out of stock. Once you get ur phone cancel ur insurance with Vodafone as they are useless!! I now have my insurance with my bank who had my phone replaced within 24hrs the last time I broke it!

They're useless because they were out of stock? Your phone was stolen near enough to Christmas. And there was still a huge demand for the iPhone 4 then and most networks were out of stock then at some point IIRC.

Bit off topic, but anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Chrismvideo

Bad Panda wrote: »

They're useless because they were out of stock? Your phone was stolen near enough to Christmas. And there was still a huge demand for the iPhone 4 then and most networks were out of stock then at some point IIRC.

Bit off topic, but anyway..

They had stock in all their shops but that was for new customers only I was told. I was without an iPhone for over 2 months although I was still paying for an iPhone tariff and also for iPhone insurance. I went into shops on Grafton and Henry street who told me they had loads in stock but couldn't give me one as I had to wait for the insurance to get them in??

Granted this is a bit off topic but I'm just letting the person know how long they may have to wait to get a replacement phone through Vodafone insurance! They really are of no help, read the forums on the Vodafone website. I also was offered a lesser model phone or else told to wait.

I know the feeling I was waiting a while for my iPhone last year. As for the claim I'm not too bothered if I have to wait a few weeks. I know myself how hard it is to get stock over Xmas. Now if I hadn't gone mad a few weeks back and bought the Xperia I might be a little more annoyed but if they don't have them then they can't just magic one up :) however I was offered a loan phone ( a cheapo job I'd imagine) to keep me going til they got the iPhone back in stock.

Vodafone insurance have been the best insurance Ive been with so far. Carphone I durance shafted me last year with an iPhone4 I bought from them sim free. The girl in the shop filled in the form for me and got me to sign it. Of course I never read it and failed to see that she'd ticked the no box that asks if you've ever had a claim before, which I had. Dirty f u ckers refused to approve the claim. Pissed me off no end but what pissed me off more was the fact they kept taking the monthly fee after I told them to cancel it. I'm still waiting for a refund!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

What they might do is offer to replace your 4 with a 4s for a charge. Wife had her 3gs replaced by a 4 and paid around €50 for this (on top of insurance excess)

Dodge wrote: »
    What they might do is offer to replace your 4 with a 4s for a charge. Wife had her 3gs replaced by a 4 and paid around €50 for this (on top of insurance excess)

Wouldnt mind that either, seen as its gonna cost me 200 to trade up if they give me an iphone 4. Obviously it'll prob be more than 50 quid but either way ill be happy. The difference between the two phones to me is marginal, in fact the iphone 4 suits me fine as they are easy enough to jailbreak.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Wouldnt mind that either, seen as its gonna cost me 200 to trade up if they give me an iphone 4. Obviously it'll prob be more than 50 quid but either way ill be happy. The difference between the two phones to me is marginal, in fact the iphone 4 suits me fine as they are easy enough to jailbreak.

Any 4 they ship now will coming with iOS 5.0 at this stage, which you'll have to bump up to 5.0.1 to get rid of any bugs...which isn't jailbroken just yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

eeloe wrote: »
    Any 4 they ship now will coming with iOS 5.0 at this stage, which you'll have to bump up to 5.0.1 to get rid of any bugs...which isn't jailbroken just yet!
    5.0.1 is jailbroken for the iphone4, i've been using it since it came out.
    Tethered only for now but will be untethered in a few weeks at most

As an update, Vodafone just rang a few mins ago to tell me I will in fact be getting a 16gig Iphone 4S as a replacement but wont have it until Monday.. I cant wait :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

As an update, Vodafone just rang a few mins ago to tell me I will in fact be getting a 16gig Iphone 4S as a replacement but wont have it until Monday.. I cant wait :)
    Nice one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Photo of it with it's box on Monday or Tuesday when it arrives or GTFO
    :)

Really didn't think there was a hope in hell you'd get a 4S.

Advertisement